One Step Ahead of Jains!

  • savejainism
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007
      One Step Ahead of Jains!

      Vegans are true vegetarians, as they do not eat anything that
      doesn't grow on trees. They do not take any animal food including
      milk products. They do not use any product that is made from
      animals, like goods made from leather, garments made from wool and
      silk and showpieces of animal bones, feathers and horns. They do not
      use animals for any purpose, like agriculture, transport, marriage
      ceremony or religious functions.

      Now let us see what Jains do! Jains are very proud of being
      vegetarians and ahinsak. They do not eat meat. They think that no
      other religion in the world has thought about ahinsa like Jainism.
      But they are not ahead of vegans. They eat milk products. They use
      milk for pouring on idols of their Gods. They use leather. They use
      wool. They use silk even in their temples while performing pooja and
      even for packing their sacred books. They do not hesitate to keep
      bulls for agricultural purpose, and cows-buffalos for milk. They
      like to ride on horses, camels and elephants in their religious
      functions. In their marriages Jain grooms take a ride on a horse in
      presence of noisy band.

      Jains open animal shelters and admit cows and buffalos there to milk
      them. As other animals are useless for milking, there is no room for
      them in Jain animal shelters.

      Jain monks are said to be great followers of ahinsa. But they never
      avoid milk products. Before entering monkshood the to be monks wear
      silk cloths. The monks force laymen to wear silk garments to perform
      pooja in the Jain temples. They say that without silk-wears, the
      pooja is not perfect. Monks of another sect use feathers of peacocks
      for their Pinchhi.

      Now you would have realized that Jains and even Jain monks are far
      behind of Vegans.

      -Mukesh Jain
      Agra
    • Paresh D. Motiwala
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
        I agree

        those animal products which are obtained by inflicting pain to them should be avoided....

        silk should not be used at all.

        but...
        by little pain if we can save their lives , it not wrong

        do we realise that if cows and buffaloes and not used for milk, they will straight away end up in slaughter houses. Western countries are eager to import meat from India.

        Jains have opened Panjrapoles (animal shelter) not with the aim of getting milk from them but to save old, disabled and those which are likely to end up in slaughter houses. Getting milk after its calf is satisfied is byproduct of the process and I don't feel that it is wrong. Ofcourse! the cruelty to them by private dairy cannot be justified.

        Do u know that when the cows/buffaloes have excess milk in them it pains to them and they want to get rid of that milk. I do not justify the cruelty done to them while they are milked.

        Just imagine when every stops using animals, what will happen to them. I am sure meat eaters here and abroad will get meat very cheap have a jolly good time.....
        No jain or a vegan  will ever like this......

        Paresh D. Motiwala
        BARC, Mumbai

        savejainism <savejainism@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Ashish
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
          Mukesh,

          I am not sure whether you are prejudiced against Jains (please note that your commentary has nothing to do with Jainism but only targeting Jain people) or it is just something to get more attention. Even if it is to get more attention, please write something that is true. Also I will suggest you change your id title from save Jainism to save Jains, if at all, your intention is such.

          Many of the things you mentioned are not factually correct or not explained in the spirit. Please note there is no mandate given in the Jain texts (I am not a scholar and just learnt basic things in my home) to use leather or wool or silk or milk.  Very clearly, Jain texts preach to use your judgment in deciding what is good and what is not. So by seeing some people doing a particular thing, one must not generalize and attribute it to Jain life style.  I have not seen/heard silk being used in temple. For leather use (Shoes/Belts etc), I know many people including my relatives who have never used leather in my village and even now in city. It should also be noted that they discarded using these things even before Vegan movement came into existence. About keeping cows/buffalos, let me tell you that in villages they are given more care than their children.  When we lived in village (~10-12 years back only), we used to have a cow and buffalo. My father used to wake up 4 o clock in morning to feed the animals and clean their place. Even I used to take cows to fields. Never had we taken milk until calf was fed. And it was not only in my home, but everybody used to do like that. I am not saying that it was good to take milk from cow but it was no as bad. We were not farmers but I know even bulls were used to well fed and well kept in farmers home. I agree that things have now changed and until we know the source of milk, it is not safe to use dairy milk. Given the time, I would also leave milk.

          As for your comments on monks, it looks you have utter anger for monks. Do you think monks have same anger for you? I don’t think so. They don’t care only. As I said earlier, if you intend to really help monks (I learnt that Shravaks duty is to help them), just point them in simple words, instead of abusing them publicly. Whether they used to wear silk or not before becoming monk, does not matter. Do they wear silk after becoming monk? You said monks of another sect use feathers of peacocks for their Pinchhi. You forgot to add that these are the feathers left by peacock and collected from fields. You also forgot to add that feather of peacock are used because it is most soft and does not hurt small creatures when cleaning the floor to sit. You also forgot to add that monks eat only one time and lilited days of the year and spend most of their time Swadhyay. Choice is of course yours and so are the results. I have never seen somebody gaining anything (spiritual or material) by criticizing everything wrong and right. It is sufficient to see how good I am and if at all, can I help doing well to others. Everybody (monks, shravaks, vegans and all) tries to do best of his/her ability and one only need help improving and not downright criticism.

          Ashish Jain

[...]

        • Ashok Sethi
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
            Mukesh,

            Jains are not behind just because they drink milk and eat milk products. We are suppose to consume milk products only if the milk has been derived without hurting the cow and the calf. That is why in earlier days, we use to have our own pet cows which were used for milk. Slowly, we Jains  have resorted to using milk products from the market the source of which is unknown. This practice should be discontinued and Jains should practice veganism. True Jains will not consume milk or milk products if the origin is unknown. Also, Jains will not use silk, leather, ivory or other animal products. In addition Jains will also not consume any food items that grow underground like potato, raddish, carrots etc.

            Hope this clarifies your doubts about ahimsa among Jains.

            Ashok

[...]

            Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

          • suresh upadhye
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
              JAI  JINEDRA

              Is the Milk vegeterian?
              First time this question raised by Smt. Menka Gandhi as per her dialogue no other animal than a man drinks a milk after childhood.  Even so many doctors are in her favour.
              Now the question arise If milk is non-veg product How we are using it for Pooja and Abhishek?
              Also we are using it in Panchamrut or Tirth?
              What is right factor now?

              After all no one is 100% Veg  but we satisfy ourselves we Jains are purely Veg .
              Suresh

              Once upon a time there was 1 GB storage in your inbox. Click here for happy ending.