MUSINGS ON MAHAVEER JAYANTI -I

  • Prof. C. Devakumar
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      MUSINGS ON MAHAVEER JAYANTI -I

      Jai Jinendra
      Bhagwan Mahaveer Jayanti made me thinking since a week. The first question is why we should commemorate His Jayanti. In fact, the celebration of pancha Kalyanak has led to imitations. We have celebration of parinrvan of 20th century politician! Since very few take to penance, luckily we have no instance of Diksha Jayanti of prophets of Abrahamic religions in particular. Jayanti day reminds the last instance in the life of the individual. In this case, Bhagwan Mahaveer is not going to return in any form back. Each instance of five great celebrations (Pancha KalyaN), has been the last in His life. Pandit Nehru was very smart. So he willed that his birthday should rather be celebrated as Children’s Day. Probably, Mahatma Gandhi could not will on his birthday. We have any number of Jayantis such as Valmiki, Guru Ravi das etc. it reflects more the enthusiasm of the followers rather than a reality check.
      The moral of the posting is: let us remind ourselves on our birthday that let it seed to become a Jayanti one day. That calls for the following understandings:
      1. Self-awakening
      2.  “Working” towards the goal of liberation.
      A realistic understanding of what is Self and what is Liberation is a pre-requisite. The reality cannot change to suit our whims and fancies. Needless to state that I have no malice to other religious leaders under whom name Jayanti is being celebrated. Jayanti should be celebrated on the attainment of the state of liberation rather than bondage. So Diwali gets preference over Bhagwan Mahaveer Jayanti even here.Diwali is not a punya tithi but Parinirvan divas. The day we attain Self-awakening is the day our count down begins. Till such time, we are in deep slumber.
      Swamin adya vinirgatOsmi jananI garbhAdha kUpOdarAt!
      (Oh Lord! I have just come to daylight from my mother’s womb!)
      adyoddhatita drishtir asmi phalavat janmAsmi cha adya sphutam ||
      (Today I wide-opened my eyes for the first time)
      tvAmadrAksham aham yad akshaya padAnandAya lOkatrayE |
      netrEdEvara kAnanEndum amrutasyandi prabhA chandrikam || (Jina Chaturvimsatika Stotra, 3)
      Because, today, for the first time I have “seen” You – the only moonlight in the universe which lightens up the flower garden of kumud (metaphorically, the lives of souls in all three worlds)
      Miccha Mi dukkadam (May my fault be made good)
      Dev

    • Prof. C. Devakumar
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
        Jai Jinendra
        Rahul Ji is one such activist who is very concerned on such issues afflicting our society. Anish Ji is already thinking globally. Great indeed.
        What is the routine on say Mahaveer Jayanti or Diwali?. We mostly go to the temple, do puja and take out a procession. Here and there, we organise sporadic social functions.Any thing more?

        Jainism is the first religion that showed organisational skills and  values. Starting from samavasaran, we have highly organised structure of four-fold order.
        In the era of IT, we must consolidate our resources and thoughts and chalk out roadmap that could make our presence felt in the world we live in. We should plan something unique and benefits the society at large. Unfortunately there is a digital divide between conventionalists and the modernists. Today, there is no effective centralised organisation like Vatican or SGPC  in our religion / sect. There seems to be a lot of digression even among ascetic order. There is a communication gap between one sangh to another, not to speak of households. This is against the tradition of Tirthankar prampara, I guess.
        New outfits like YJI possibly lacks the foundation of spirit. No organism can live long without pran.
        This might have been the situation in the interval period between two consecutive Tirthankar. Alas, we are now at the end of the road as a society. So we must make good use of whatever is possibly both individually and collectively.
        Michcha Mi dukkadam
        Dev

        Rahul.Pandiya@... wrote:
        Jai inendra!!

        Dear Anish Ji

        Thats a good thought & quite possible provided that strong lobbying is done by Jains internationally.

        However, would also point out some of the cases that clearly show inefficacy of Jains in influencing/lobbying with the government:
            • This Mahavir Jayanti, meat shops were open in Kota(Raj). Infact these shops were in the way of procession. Munishri has to do a Aanshan to protest.
            • Supreme court has given rights of Rishabdev Ji to Jain samaj. However, huge violence broke out & all the Jain families from that area had to flee. BJP government has rewarded the people responsible for violenece. There are more than 8 Jain MLA's in Rajasthan Assembly but nobody bothered to raise this issue.
            • Around 2 months ago same day 10 idols each were stolen from Guragon & Jaipur(Bassi) but the protests has slowly died. Had this happened to some other community, government would have been shaken.
            • Girnarji issue is yet to be resolved. I can clearly see that raising debate on Santhara/Sanlekhana is a vindictive action by extremesist in the backdrop of Girnarji issue.
            • Minority status is not yet given to Jains.

        The reason I have written few of the myriad issues is to point out towards the fact that a lot needs to be done to unite Jain samaj & solve the fundamental issues concerning us.

        Regards
        Rahul Pandiya
        Reliance Retail Ltd.
        First Floor, Time Square,
        Sushant Lok - 1, Gurgaon - 122002
        Tel : +91-124-4273931
        Email : Rahul.Pandiya@...

        Inactive hide details for "Anish A Shah" <anishshah19@...>"Anish A Shah" <anishshah19@...>

                "Anish A Shah" <anishshah19@...>
                Sent by: jainlist@yahoogroups.com
                04/02/2007 11:17 PM
                Please respond to
                jainlist@yahoogroups.com

        <jainlist@yahoogroups.com>, <Jainismforworld@yahoogroups.com>

        cc

        "Dr. C. Devakumar" <cdevakumar@...>, "MANISH MODI" <manishymodi@...>, "pankaz" <pajarotouch@...>, "mehul_turakhia" <mehul_turakhia@...>

        Subject

        Re: [JainList] MUSINGS ON MAHAVEER JAYANTI -I

        Jai Jinendra,

        Quite interesting Dr. Devakumarajis musings.

        An additional thought. We should petition the UN and International Governments to declare Mahavir Jayanti as either - World Vegetarian Day or World Compassion Day where no slaughter houses will work, no restaurants will serve non-veg food, entire world will eat only veg food and no animals will be killed for food, fur or for experiments.

        I wonder if this is possible ?

        Regards,

        Anish Shah
[...]

        "Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, re-transmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from your system.     Virus Warning:  Although the
         company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachment."