Re: [JainList] Net Illiteracy in Active Jains

  • Mahavir Chavan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2005
      Dear P.L. Jainji,

      Jai Jinendra.

      I have no doubt about the knowledge of Jain community.
      My question is how many active Jains are aware of the
      importance of internet? Please check out the printed
      Jain magazines and see if they have an email address.
      For your information, I have postal addresses of about
      550 Jain magazines and I have seen latest issues of
      about 250 of them. Only 10 of them have email
      addresses. I used to send emails to these addresses, 4
      of them bounced because of their inbox was full and 6
      were returned saying that there is no such address.

      There are many all India Jain organizations like
      Bharat Jain Mahamandal, S.S. Jain Conference, Jain
      Sabha, Digambar Jain Mahasamiti, Digambar Jain
      Mahasabha, Digambar Jain Parishad, Dakshin Bharat Jain
      Sabha etc. 2 of them are 100 years old, others are 50
      or more years old. They don't have their websites. You
      will find one or 2 websites of Jain organizations.
      Send emails to the address given on their sites and
      see yourself the bounce of your email.

      Is it internet literacy and awareness In Jains?

      In my last mail I forgot to write one more point. I
      have seen that most of the active Jains, even Jain
      scholars do not understand the English language. This
      is also a main reason of net illitaracy.

      Although you have 75000 email addresses of Jains as
      you say, the main question is how many of them
      actually read your net magazine and how many of them
      give response. Even if you say that you get a huge
      response, Please check our how many active Jains in
      field (Not on net) know about Ahimsa Times and your
      website (Or any other Jain websites.

      Please also check the total number of the members of
      various Jain groups on the net and the number of
      members who take part in the discussions.

      I think you have got my point.

      Mahavir

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
    • Jain, Mr. Amit
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2005
        Dear Friends,

        Jai Jinendra,

        Our Muni and Sants are also creating awareness regarding this. They are
        preparing the list of our community in administrative post and having
        professional qualification.

        By this I would like to request you to please send the complete detail
        of Jain's having any professional qualifications/working as
        administrative capacity (any where) etc.

        By this we will make a data base of Jain community. And after getting
        all compilation we will flash it to the Jain web site having all details
        of these databases.

        Besides that, I would request you to please provide us the complete
        details of our education institutes / Hospitals / Schools / Colleges /
        Companies owned by Jains.

        Hope for the best support from our Jain Community.

        Thanks,

        Amit Jain
        e-mail:Jaina@...
        Ph.23309232

        From: "Mahavir Chavan" <msanglikar@...>
        To: "P.L.Jain" <pljain@...>
        Subject: Re: [JainList] Net Illiteracy in Active Jains>

        Dear P.L. Jain ji,
        Jai Jinendra.
        I have no doubt about the knowledge of Jain community.
        > My question is how many active Jains are aware of the
        > importance of internet? Please check out the printed
        > Jain magazines and see if they have an email address.
        > For your information, I have postal addresses of about
        > 550 Jain magazines and I have seen latest issues of
        > about 250 of them. Only 10 of them have email
        > addresses. I used to send emails to these addresses, 4
        > of them bounced because of their inbox was full and 6
        > were returned saying that there is no such address.
        >
        > There are many all India Jain organizations like
        > Bharat Jain Mahamandal, S.S. Jain Conference, Jain
        > Sabha, Digambar Jain Mahasamiti, Digambar Jain
        > Mahasabha, Digambar Jain Parishad, Dakshin Bharat Jain
        > Sabha etc. 2 of them are 100 years old, others are 50
        > or more years old. They don't have their websites. You
        > will find one or 2 websites of Jain organizations.
        > Send emails to the address given on their sites and
        > see yourself the bounce of your email.
        >
        > Is it internet literacy and awareness In Jains?
        >
        > In my last mail I forgot to write one more point. I
        > have seen that most of the active Jains, even Jain
        > scholars do not understand the English language. This
        > is also a main reason of net illitaracy.
        >
        > Although you have 75000 email addresses of Jains as
        > you say, the main question is how many of them
        > actually read your net magazine and how many of them
        > give response. Even if you say that you get a huge
        > response, Please check our how many active Jains in
        > field (Not on net) know about Ahimsa Times and your
        > website (Or any other Jain websites.
        >
        > Please also check the total number of the members of
        > various Jain groups on the net and the number of
        > members who take part in the discussions.
        > I think you have got my point.
        > Mahavir

        JainNet http://www.jainnet.com - Comprehensive Resource on Jainism.

        _____