Rude Food/The Great Vegetarian Scam

  • Mahavir
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      Monday, November 1, 2004

      Rude Food/The Great Vegetarian Scam
      Vir Sanghvi

      I've written before about my struggle to remain a vegetarian on
      Tuesday – when I abjure meat for religious reasons – while
      travelling. My problems are many. Several countries simply do not
      understand the concept of vegetarianism. All over Europe they'll use
      pork fat or throw in a piece of ham even though the dish is
      ostensibly vegetarian. In the Far East they'll use fish sauce as a
      flavouring (Thai restaurants nearly always do this, so approach
      any `vegetarian' Thai food with caution) and the ready-made curry
      pastes and the Tom Yum cubes will include crushed fish.

      People who don't eat eggs have it much tougher. This pretty much
      rules out all bakery products (including biscuits) in the West;
      there's no question of getting by on an ice-cream and even in India,
      sneaky chefs will use eggs in such staples as the naan without
      letting on to their guests. And then of course, there's the gelatine
      problem. Enjoy a cheesecake or a cold soufflé at a restaurant and the
      chances are that the chef has used gelatine (made by melting down
      animal bones) as a thickener.

      Even drinkers are not safe. Part of the wine-making process involves
      the use of animal blood and a Bloody Mary requires Worcestershire
      sauce which is made with anchovies.

      I hadn't realised, till recently, quite how bad the problem has got.
      Vegetarians in the West (a far more aggressive breed than our peace-
      loving Jains and caste Hindus) have now targeted the packaged foods
      industry for inaccurate labelling. Many people in the West call
      themselves vegans and don't even drink milk (they use the same
      argument as the one Jains use for not eating any eggs, including the
      unfertilised variety; it's not too different from milk when you think
      about it). Some manufacturers are now obliged to label products as
      non-dairy. But, say the vegans, the food industry simply shrinks away
      from telling the truth about everything.

      Let's take some examples:

      Gelatine: Probably the biggest offender. You can use microbial
      gelatine which is vegetarian (and which the Indian food industry now
      claims to use) but the cheaper alternative is still animal gelatine.
      The usual method of manufacture is to boil down animal bones but
      canny producers now also boil down skin, fats and tissues from pigs
      and cows (thereby offending both Muslims and Hindus at a stroke.)

      By now vegetarians have learned to avoid jelly. But they still eat
      desserts. Few recognise however that gelatine now crops up more and
      more in ice-cream and in those alleged `natural' fruit yoghurts that
      vegetarians so enjoy when they go abroad. Worse still, it is used to
      remove sediments from fruit juices. But because it is part of the
      process rather than an actual ingredient, food manufacturers are not
      legally obliged to mention this on the packaging.

      So, if you are one of those vegetarians who raves about the wide
      variety of natural fruit juices available at Western supermarkets, be
      warned: they are prepared with the help of beef bones and tissues.

      If you like prepackaged sweets, you are probably eating beef by
      default as well. The British Food Standards Agency has found animal
      gelatine in Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts, in Rowntree's Fruit
      Pastilles, in Wagon Wheels, in Miller Light Yoghurt and in many other
      packaged foods including Kellogg's Cherry Tarts. Nor are British
      bottled drinks much safer. Fanta orange includes fish gelatine and
      Guinness is clarified with animal gelatine.

      These are just a handful of British examples. There are hundreds more
      and I haven't even started on American products yet.

      Cochineal: I bet you've never heard of this but you've consumed large
      quantities without knowing what it is. Cochineal is a red food colour
      and it turns up in all kinds of things: coloured pasta, sweet drinks,
      artificially coloured fruit drinks, cake icing etc.

      It is made by crushing a beetle to extract the red dye. We use it all
      the time in India and perhaps even our chefs and food manufacturers
      are not aware that their repertoire has now extended to insects. Your
      kids are probably drinking it if you are giving them so-called
      strawberry-flavoured drinks such as Nesquik. The flavour is nearly
      always chemically-manufactured and the colour is usually crushed
      beetle. Same with many strawberry jams.

      Cheese: All vegetarians are dimly aware that something called rennet
      or rennin is used to make cheese. What they don't know is that rennin
      is a coagulating enzyme extracted from a young animal's stomach
      (usually from a calf's stomach) and then used to curdle the milk for
      cheese.

      Vegetarians pretend that this only applies to fancy cheese
      (Gorgonzola must use rennin by law) but they don't realise that you
      can't make Parmesan without it. And the cheese that vegetarians eat
      most often is Parmesan: sprinkled on pasta, risotto and as an
      essential ingredient of Italian food.

      So, every vegetarian who goes to an Italian restaurant and says: "No,
      I'm sorry I can't have the spaghetti bolognaise, I'm a vegetarian so
      just give me simple vegetarian pasta" is actually gearing up to eat
      the inside of a calf's stomach.

      How does this happen?
      The food industry makes two points in its defence. One: it does
      accurately identify ingredients on its packaging. For instance, if it
      says that a product contains gelatine, it expects that you will know
      that you are probably eating beef.

      The industry's point is that if consumers don't know how gelatine is
      made then it is their own fault, not the manufacturer's. And two:
      there is a legal obligation to mention every ingredient in a product.
      But there is no obligation to list all the things that go into the
      process. For instance, most manufacturers of bitter (English beer)
      use bits of the bladders of sturgeon fish to remove sediment.

      This, say the manufacturers, does not mean that fish is an ingredient
      in beer; only that fish is part of the manufacturing process. And
      there's no reason for them to list everything that goes into the
      process. The same is true of wine where the same kind of dead fish is
      also used for sediment-removal. Wine is made from grapes, say the
      manufacturers. Who cares about all the things that go into the
      process?

      I'm not sure that these explanations make much sense. When you buy a
      food product, you do so because you trust the manufacturers. Part of
      this trust is that you believe that the Coca Cola company will sell
      you a vegetarian drink of some description when you buy a bottle of
      Fanta orange. You can live with the fact that everything about the
      drink may well be synthetic and that no oranges were used in its
      manufacture. But you do not expect the Coca Cola company to put fish
      gelatine in the drink only because it lowers its cost of production.
      And yet, this is what its British critics claim it does in the UK.

      So it is with Nesquik strawberry drink (coloured with crushed
      beetles) or many so-called strawberry jams. We don't mind synthetic
      flavours. It doesn't worry us that most vanilla ice-cream is
      flavoured with artificial vanillin (a by-product of the wood pulp
      industry) or that most strawberry ice-cream has no strawberries. But
      we believe that if something was made with dead beetles or boiled
      beef bones, we would be told.

      At some level, the food industry knows this too. All the Indian
      manufacturers who use animal products recognise that they are
      scamming their customers. Thus they go out of their way to conceal
      the non-vegetarian content of their products. One small instance:
      nearly all ice-cream made by hotels (what they laughably describe
      as `home-made' ice-cream on their menus) contains egg. But nobody
      tells you this when you order. If you've seen a dessert buffet at any
      five-star hotel then you should know that nearly all of the mousses,
      cheesecakes etc. are full of gelatine.

      The hotels do this for two reasons: Gelatine helps the desserts last
      longer before crumbling and secondly, most Indian pastry chefs are
      extremely limited in their skills and incapable of making cheesecake
      or mousse without several kilos of gelatine. Fair enough. But
      shouldn't somebody tell all the vegetarians who wander around the
      dessert buffet that this is the non-vegetarian section? (Don't give
      me all that crap about vegetarian gelatine.

      There are enough hotels who still use the authentic, non-vegetarian
      version). Hotels don't tell you the truth because it is too much
      trouble. (For many years, restaurants lied about the stock in their
      soups as well. Fortunately this has now stopped). Far easier to pull
      the wool over the guests' eyes than to tell the truth.

      How should vegetarians react?
      Perhaps the most sensible attitude is the Princess's. A dedicated
      vegetarian, she recognises that we live in an imperfect world. So she
      tries her best to be vegetarian. If she finds out that something is
      non-vegetarian – French Onion Soup for instance – she'll give it up
      at once. But if she doesn't know any better, then she'll go ahead and
      eat Parmesan, ice-cream or whatever. After all, she says, you can't
      live your life treating every bit of food with suspicion.

      Perhaps. But shouldn't the food industry stop exploiting the goodwill
      of millions of vegetarians like her?
    • Y.D. Jordan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        thank you for this GREAT article and I agree with you wholeheartedly.
        Being a vegetarian since 1977 and a vegan since 1999, when in Europe,
        especially the Netherlands where my family lives, do as all the local
        vegetarians do: they head to DE NATUURWINKEL, which is a franchised
        health food stores all over the country. In Amsterdam alone there are a
        lot in almost every neighborhood. This is the only place where you can
        have a "safe" ice cream made of soy, delicious, creamy soy yoghurt
        (superior to the ones made here, and not so sweet), vegan pies, bread,
        chocolate (hmmm).

        I don;t know about the rest of Europe, but Germany and Belgium are
        first rate, they even make vegan pates in a dozen flavors for a very
        long time. Of course I avoid going to restaurants as much as I can, but
        you are right, going to a thai restaurant you must insist "no fish
        sauce, eggs, shrimps" and a bad restaurant will give you just boiled
        noodles with not much on it. But sometimes a great restaurant with a
        very inventive chef comes up with a fantastic pad thai for instance
        with none of the minute animal stuff, and the chef comes out afterwards
        to inquire how you liked your dish. Now that's service and
        inventiveness.

        Whole Foods market do a very good job for vegans: the no cheese pizza
        made by Amy is delicious, or you can order soy based cheeses from
        California. Here's the email I received some time ago:

        I’m forwarding this announcement from my friend Angel
        McNall, a wonderful vegan chef in LA who created the
        Vegan cheese described below! Please forward this email
        to anyone you feel may be interested! If you have questions,
        Angel’s email address is at the end. Thanks!! --Marr

        ATTENTION ALL VEGANS!!
        Being Vegan Just Got Easier!

        VEGAN GOURMET CHEESE ALTERNATIVE
        is now available online! FOLLOW YOUR HEART, the same
        company that brought you VEGENAISE and award winning
        SALAD DRESSINGS, (including one of the only 2 vegan
        Thousand Island dressings on the market!) is now making
        VEGAN GOURMET CHEESE ALTERNATIVE, the first
        great tasting, dairy free cheese that melts! You can now
        enjoy Nachos, grilled cheese, enchiladas, cheese and crackers---
        all of the foods you thought you'd never eat again!

        VEGAN GOURMET is currently available in two great flavors,
        CARAWAY JACK and NACHO.

        Order online:

        http://www.imearthkind.com/Ordering%20Information.htm

        If you have friends in the Southern CA area, ask them to go to:

        http://www.imearthkind.com/Availability.htm

        for addresses of the stores now carrying the cheese in the
        LA, Orange County, and Santa Barbara areas.
        (Follow Your Heart, Cooportunity, Erewhon, PC Greens,
        Mother’s Markets, & Lassen’s. More being added each week!)

        Do any of you miss eating PIZZA?? What until you see (or taste)
        what's coming next from VEGAN GOURMET! That's right--a
        delicious mozzarella flavor that actually melts on pizza! The
        mozzarella will be available in the next few months, and it is
        great! We've been testing it at local pizza places and it comes
        out of the oven looking (and tasting) like a real pizza! We are
        so excited and can't wait to share it with you all! So in the
        meantime, start enjoying some Nachos, have a grilled cheese
        with the Caraway Jack and some tomato soup, and we'll let
        you know when the new flavor hits the shelves! If you have
        any questions or comments you can email me ~
        angel@... Thanks! ~Angel McNall

> [...]
        > version). Hotels don't tell you the truth because it is too much
        > trouble. (For many years, restaurants lied about the stock in their
        > soups as well. Fortunately this has now stopped). Far easier to pull
        > the wool over the guests' eyes than to tell the truth.
        >
        > How should vegetarians react?
        > Perhaps the most sensible attitude is the Princess's. A dedicated
        > vegetarian, she recognises that we live in an imperfect world. So she
        > tries her best to be vegetarian. If she finds out that something is
        > non-vegetarian – French Onion Soup for instance – she'll give it up
        > at once. But if she doesn't know any better, then she'll go ahead and
        > eat Parmesan, ice-cream or whatever. After all, she says, you can't
        > live your life treating every bit of food with suspicion.
        >
        > Perhaps. But shouldn't the food industry stop exploiting the goodwill

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
          As one of those "more aggressive western vegetarians," I would say
          that the Princess approach described below is unacceptable for
          multiple reasons:

          Ethics- Paying for foods that use animal products provides financial
          support for the practices of animal expoitation and slaughter, and
          makes one at least partially responsible for those acts as well.
          Granted, it may not be as bad as actually doing the exploiting or
          killing, or even as bad as knowingly supporting them, and definitely
          not as bad as intentionally killing or exploiting, but any
          participation in such acts should be avoided, and all efforts should
          be made to be as knowledgeable as possible about what we buy and eat.
          To suggest that ignorance is an excuse suggests that if someone did
          not know that meat was the result of animal slaughter, it would be
          okay, or as many westerners seem to believe that animals do not feel
          pain, that there is no moral transgression in killing and eating them.
          These things may describe lesser evils than knowingly and
          intentionally doing them, but a lesser evil is still evil.

          Health- The adverse health effects of animal proteins and animal fats
          are responsible for the high rates of many diseases in the west, and a
          growing number in the east as many easterners adopt western diets.
          The consumption of animal products including meats, dairy and eggs can
          be tied to heart disease, cancers, diabetes, osteoporosis,
          BSE/Creutzfeldt-Jakob, and many others that I cannot think of at the
          moment. For the benefit of your own health, and if you plan to have
          children, for their health as well, I would advise strictly and
          carefully avoiding all animal products, and not allowing yourself to
          be ill-informed.

          Politically- As long as we continue to support the companies that
          practice and profit from animal abuse, exploitation and slaughter,
          such practices will continue to thrive. These companies then use
          their wealth and global reach to promote further their harmful
          industries, by advertising and through political influence with
          governments. The same food industry that brings us "food" from death
          and torture also brings us soft drinks like Coca-Cola and Pepsi who
          steal water from poor nations and peoples to make their harmful
          beverages, and sell it back to us for their profit, market their
          products in schools and on children's TV to hook kids before they're
          old enough to think critically. This same group of corporations also
          brings us genetically modified foods which are doing untold damage
          both environmentally and nutritionally, and which again are designed
          not to benefit the people who consume them, but to increase the
          corporate profit margin. Therefore, it is important to avoid giving
          money to any company that uses any animal products in any food items,
          whether as ingredients or as part of the processing.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
            Well said, bravo! It is devastating to hear the outcome of the pres.
            elections and that poor people support big corporations and rich
            individuals, (Ohio) is just beyond me.
            there is no excuse to eat any kind of dairy products