Re: [Jain Friends] Idol worship

  • Vishal Shah
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2004
      With reference to Digamber difference::::

      Logically No difference. As long as both are away from
      'Samayak Darshan'.

      Physical differences.
      -------------
      (1).
      Terapanthi: Will not apply Flower/saffron(Ful, Kesar)
      to idol.

      Beespanthi: Will apply Flower/saffron(Ful, Kesar) to
      idol. and even curd etc.

      (2).
      Terapanthi: Women will not Abhishek(To clean idol with
      water) to idol.

      Beespanthi: Women do Abhishek(To clean idol with
      water) to idol.

      (3).
      Terapanthis are more closer to real Jainism and
      Vitaragata of God than Bees panthi.

      Remember: Logically they are same. and suffereing from
      'Paryay Drasti'. No R & D minded. and fought in past
      also.

      Good Luck to Jains...

      Vishal.

    • Arpita Mehta
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3, 2004
        HI Vishal ji....
        sabse pehle thaxs.. apne mere question ka answer diya...umid kerti hu aap ko hindi samj aajayegi.... coz muje english nahi aati ....aap ko pura yakin hea jo aap bol rahe hea wo right hea.... sorry but actually baat ye hea ki mea confused hu...i am jain... but muje jain dharma ke baare mea jyada nahi malum....jo appne 13 panthi ke baare mea likha hea ...wahi humare pariwar mea bhi hota hea...hum bhagwan ko(jain tritanker ko)Flower/saffron(Ful, Kesar) nahi chadate....wo sab kerte hea jo apne 13 panthi ke liye bataya hea.....phir hamre mandir per to 20 panthi likha hea.....to mea confuse ho gai.... well ab mea apni maa se puchugi... ki hum 13 panthi hea ya 20 panthi....thxs appne mere ander intrest jaga diya ki mea janu is difference ko.... gyan lene mea kya jata hea ... koi bhi gyan bura nahi hota na.... thxs
        Arpita

      • Sreepalan VC
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 4, 2004
          Samyak Darshan

          Dear Shri Vishal Shah,

          Let soul secure samyakthva.

          Wonderful indeed it is, to find a rare submission to
          speak of Samyakthva amidst the ocean of 'physical
          differences' which have no direct impact on the
          purpose of the worship.

          No doubt there is no logical difference but let that
          not be misunderstood as to not to do pooja or worship.
          As long as the faith in one�s self is not secured and
          self is experienced such activities for a shravak will
          save one from the fresh inflow and bondage of paapa
          karma during the time one is engaged in pooja. Pooja
          is an activity to remind one of one's own quality to
          show up.

          Know thyself and be thyself is of Kevalin, for Kevalin
          and by Kevalin.

          Truth is Kevalin and rest are mine.

          Now for the participants,

          Yours brotherly,
          sreepalan

        • ymalaiya
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 20, 2004
            Althought there is disagreement about when the custom of worshipping
            the pratima of Lord Jinendra arose, it is clearly a very ancient
            custom.

            On this subject one should study the books by scholars like U.P.
            Shah or MNP Tiwari.

            The oldest known Jain idols were found in Lohanipur Bihar. The
            polish on them is similar to polish on other Mauryan stone
            sculptures, and statue fragments were found along with bricks Maurya
            period. The idols are thus from about 3rd century BCE.

            Many Jain idols from the Kushana period (1st to 3rd cent) were found
            in Mathura. Mathura was then a major center of Jainism.

            There are many beatiful Jain idols from the Gupta period. The
            craftsmanship of the Gupta period is regarded to have been at the
            peak.

            There were many lineages of Jain monks. Until about 5th cent AD,
            there was no clear sectarian division in the Jain Sangh. From 5th
            century onwards, we can distinguish between Digambara and
            Swetambara sects. However for several centuries after even that,
            some traditionas like the Yapaniayas in Konkana region were not
            clearly Digambara or Swetambara. Some scholars have suggested that
            Acharya Manatunga may have belonged to an unaffiliated tradition
            like this.

            In 17th century, the atyadhma (or terapanth) Digambara tradition was
            founded by Banarasidas. He was himself born a Swetambara, and many
            of his followers were Swetambaras too. The terapanth Digambara
            tradition opposed these customs in worship:

            - use of actual flowers and fruits. In D. terapanth, dry substitutes
            like coconut, clove etc are used.
            - application of saffron to the statue.
            - use of milk, sweets etc during worship.
            - employment of Bhojakas for worship etc.

            The older customs are now referred to as D. Bisapanth. The elements
            of the ashta-prakari puja are common to both murtipujak Swetambaras
            and bisapanthi Digambaras. The terapanthi Jains also
            mention "flower" "fruit" etc during their worship, but dry
            substitutes are used.

            In the list below, Vishal Shah mentions that in Bisapanth women can
            do abhisheka. I think that is incorrect. I have seen an old book by
            a Bhattaraka that mentions that women can worship, but can not clean
            the idol.

            In Digambaras, no one touches the idol, except people wearing the
            special temple clothes.

            There are said to be two forms of puja: dravay-puja, with dravaya
            (i.e. with puja material rice etc.) and bhava, i.e. without using
            any materials.

            Yashwant

          • jyoti kothari
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 2, 2004
              Dear Praveenji,

              Yes. The Buddhist method of meditation is called
              Vipassana which means to look perfectly or to look
              specially or to look decaying.It is some thing like
              Kayaotarga or Jnyata-drasta bhava of Jainism.

              Thanx,

              jyoti kothari

              --- pravin bagrecha <pravinbagrecha@...> wrote:

              > JAI JINEDRA
              >
              > hallo, i am Pravin from jaipur.
              >
              > Is there any thing like VIPPASHYANA , like the
              > Budhisuma fallow,
              >

              > jyoti kothari <jyoti_kothari@...> wrote:dear
              > shanth,
              > There are great debates among the scholars regarding
              > ur question & no sollution is yet obtained.
              > Traditionally all the digamvara sects worship idols
              > but the Swetambars are divided into two groups
              > moortipoojaka & sthanakavasi/terapanthi who do not
              > worship idol.
              > To me the jain religion is the religion of Atma
              > shuddhi & there are various 'Sadhan'to achieve
              > it.Worship of idol is one of them, of course very
              > prominent, easy & popular.
              > It is upto u to deciede which tool u need for ur
              > progress.
              > Thanx,
              > jyoti kothari
              > --- shanth berg <shaantberg@...> wrote:
              >
              > > hi!
              > > i'm shanth jain.
              > > i have a doubt in jainism.
              > > do we really need idol worship in jainism?
              > > if u have prompt answer reply me.
              > > -Shanth...

              > > removed]

              > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              >

              > Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com
              > and http://rightfaith.tripod.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              > removed]

              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
              http://my.yahoo.com
            • jyoti kothari
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                Dear samniji,

                Of course The Jain have many methods of meditation
                including Preksha.

                There r Samikshana Dhyana, Samavsarana Dhyana etc.For
                the original ancient meditation systems we can refer
                to The Dhyanashataka by Haribhadra Suri, Yogashashtra
                by Hemachandracharya ,Jnanarnava by
                Shubhachandracharya with the Agams itself.
                Thanx,

                Jyoti kothari

              • pravin bagrecha
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 12, 2005
                  dear friends

                  Jai Jinendra

                  I want to know more about " Kayaotarga or Jnyata-drasta bhava "

                  Thanks

                  Pravin bagrecha , Jaipur

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 22, 2005
                    Dear Praveenji,
                    Jnata-drasta bhava is the essence of Jainism. We the
                    layman or common earthly persons are doing some thing
                    to influence each other or to some matters (Pudgala).
                    But the actual work of Atma is to know/see the matter
                    & not to do anything with them. To change the habit
                    pattern of common samsarika jeeva we have to practice
                    kayotsarga to be in jnata-drasta bhava.
                    To start with: Let the body & speech be in rest. Try
                    to consentrate ur mind in Navakara etc & do not react
                    to anything.
                    In later stage u can meditate & be with ur own soul,
                    which is true Jnata-drasta bhava.
                    Thanx,
                    jyoti

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/_sTslB/TM