Re: Jainism & God (Re: [Jain Friends] define jain)

  • Raj
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 16, 2003
      Dear Mayur

      you are right .  jain dharam is not found by any body . it was already in existance . only thirthankaras know about it by their gyan . in keval gyan they come to know that this is the way of living .amd one can get the moksha by following this rules .

      Regards

      Rajesh

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 29, 2004
        What is the exact definition of jain?

        =====
        RAHUL JAIN
        H#9 ROOM NO 233
        IIT (POWAI) BOMBAY -400076
        PH - (022)5720011,5720107
        visit me @ www.rahul.cjb.net

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
      • jain vishal
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
          Rahul
          As i know, Jainism is a religion. Bhagwan Mahaveer is
          the 24th tirthankar of the same.
          The person who belive and follows the relion of
          jainism is Jain.

          Its not from birth, if any person who belive and
          follow the jainism he will be jain.

          Thanks & Regards
          Vishal

          --- rahul jain <rjain_iitb@...> wrote:
          ---------------------------------
          What is the exact definition of jain?

          =====
          RAHUL JAIN
          H#9 ROOM NO 233
          IIT (POWAI) BOMBAY -400076
          PH - (022)5720011,5720107
          visit me @ www.rahul.cjb.net

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

          Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com
          and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here

          Terms of Service.

          Go to: http://in.insurance.yahoo.com/licspecial/index.html
        • Naina Jain
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
            Hi Rahul
            As far as I know, Jain comes from the word Jainendra which means " jisne apni indriyon ko jita hoe" . I hope you understand hindi. A person who follow that path of having control on your indri's is a Jain.
            All our Tirthankar's they won their Indriya's and hence said to be as Jainendra and their followers as Jain.
            I dont know how far it is true but this is my belief.
            Thanks
            Naina

            --- rahul jain wrote:
            ---------------------------------
            What is the exact definition of jain?

            =====
            RAHUL JAIN
            H#9 ROOM NO 233
            IIT (POWAI) BOMBAY -400076
            PH - (022)5720011,5720107
            visit me @ www.rahul.cjb.net
          • Rinkal jain
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
              hello to all
              i am sending this mail to all group members so that
              if anybody has time will explain me basic them of jainism in genral
              words not in particular jainism terminology i am intrested in knowing
              few basic question like
              1 what is religion?
              2 why we need it?
              3 what is jainism how it is different from others?
              4 what is the IMP of religion in our life ?
              5 why one should follow a particular religion ?etc
              some people may laugh on my question but i really wanna know it coz
              at present i am 24 and i dont know abc of jainism many times i have
              tried to understand it but everytime bookish language confuse me i
              always find it theoratical rather than practical from last few days i
              was discussoing this topic with few of my chat friends but i am not
              satisfied with this chat so pls if any body will explain me all this
              things in genral words i will be thankful for his/her kind support
              actually what i feel that manav dherma is a bigest dherma we should
              live like human only we should not classified our self in paricular
              relegion or caste i feel when we take birth on this earth just as
              human after a certain age our family member,our external enviornment
              and our other sanskar teach us that O we r hindu/muslim/catholic/jain
              and so on pls dont mind my wrong english coz i am zero in englsih.
              next thing that confuse me is when we take birth as human our first
              duty should be to behave like a human when we r not able to perform
              our manav dherma how can we think for nirvana and mokha in this
              respect i found animal very right as comparative to us coz they
              performa theire Dherma and Kerma in all situation i may be wrong or i
              am wrong i will be very happy if someone correct my views coz now a
              days i  am feeling a type of confusion in my mind regarding superity
              of any paricular religion coz i have heared from most of jainism that
              jain dherma sabse bada dherma hea and wahi real dherma hea
              i just wanna clear my views
              waiting for hopefull reply from u people
              cheers

              rahul jain <rjain_iitb@...> wrote:
              What is the exact definition of jain?

              =====
              RAHUL JAIN
              H#9 ROOM NO 233
              IIT (POWAI) BOMBAY -400076
              PH - (022)5720011,5720107
              visit me @ www.rahul.cjb.net

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

              Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • vimal imren``
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                ==========

                Khushwant Singh

                We tend to think of the Ramayana as a Hindu text — Valmiki’s Sanskrit Ramayana or Tulsi’s Hindi Ramcharitmanas or Kambar’s Tamil Ramayana. But there are many other renderings of Ram’s story. The Jains have their own Ramayana. In the Paumachariya, a Jain version of Ram’s tale dated to the end of the 3rd century AD, Ravan is a learned and noble Jain. He does not have ten heads, and we are told he was called ‘Dashamukha’ because his mother saw his face reflected nine-fold in a necklace of nine gems that she put around his neck.

                The Paumachariya’s Ravan is not a demon or an insatiably lustful villain. He meets his end because of one fatal flaw — he is besotted with the wife of another man.

                The Paumachariya’s Ram is also a Jain, who is loath to kill anything or anyone, even Ravan. And it is Lakshman who slays Ravan. Indeed, Ram’s tale has been recounted in varied ways, and in several languages — Assamese, Bengali, Cambodian, Chinese, Javanese, Malay, Marathi, to name just a few.

                Malini Saran and Vinod Khanna’s The Ramayana in Indonesia (Ravi Dayal) is an important addition to the growing body of scholarly work on the diversity of the Ramayana tradition. It is simply written and enlivened by over 100 plates. It discusses a range of narrations of Ram’s tale in Indonesia: from the reliefs sculpted in the 9th-century Lara Jonggrang temple complex to those in an enormous open-air amphitheatre with temples lit up in the background, from the Malay Hikayat Seri Rama that reflects the Islamisation of the Ram story to the use of Ramayana imagery in the overthrow of Suharto in 1998.

                Two things come through strongly in the book. One is the political role of the Ramayana tradition in India and Indonesia. The other is the popularity of Ram’s story that transcends borders. For centuries, non-Hindu, non-Indian communities have responded to this tale and fashioned their own renderings of it. The Ramayana tradition has been spacious enough to accommodate tellings that provide alternatives to Valmiki and Tulsi. This book leaves us hoping that no one group or nation will claim a monopoly over Ram’s tale.
              • abhay shah
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                  hii rinkal.
                  this is abhay shah.

                  and i feel that i can help you out. but not right now coz of office work
                  i will mail you in detail with answer referreing to your questions and you misunderstanding. i would be grateful to clearify your views and helping you to understand the religion. and i hope that your family must be following jainism

                  i will reply you soon.

                  > hello to all
                  > i am sending this mail to all group members so that
                  > if anybody has time will explain me basic them of
                  > jainism in genral
                  > words not in particular jainism terminology i am
                  > intrested in knowing
                  > few basic question like
                  > 1 what is religion?
                  > 2 why we need it?
                  > 3 what is jainism how it is different from others?
                  > 4 what is the IMP of religion in our life ?
                  > 5 why one should follow a particular religion ?etc
                • rahul jain

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                      Dear Rinkal
                      I am glad you have many questions. True learning can take place only through questioning. Here is my attempt to answer your questions based on my knowledge of Jain philosophy.
                      1 what is religion?
                      According to Mahavirswami, the inherent quality of a thing is its' "dharma". So for us, living beings, bringing our the true nature (inherent qualities) of our soul is our religion. The inherent qualities of our soul are infinite knowledge, infinite perception, infinite energy and a blissful state. Simply put, any activity that brings us closer to these qualities is a religious activity.

                      2 why we need it?
                      Near our home there is a beautiful lily pond with pink and yellow lilies floating in the calm waters, fishes jumping up and down, frogs croaking, loons calling back and forth, birds nesting in the nearby shrubs, butterflies and dragonflies flying from one flower to another. It is a breathtaking site. With the last summer's lack of rain, the pond had dried up completely. Do you know what is at the bottom of the pond? Rusty metal, old furniture parts, broken tires stuck in the mud etc… It just looked awful. It made me realize that we humans are the same way. When we are dried up, the worst parts of us show up. We need to be fulfilled.
                      Religion is the water for our soul and our spirit.

                      3 what is jainism how it is different from others?
                      Jainism , in my opinion is just a philosophy of life that helps us live like a "human being" with compassion, with mutual harmony and respect for all living beings and with active participation towards our own spiritual progress on the path shown by JINAs, the spiritual victors.
                      Difference from other religions: Concept of God, theory of Karma and Doctrine of Anekantvad.
                      unlike many religions, Jainism does not believe in God as a creator, preserver, destroyer or even as rewarder or punisher. Every soul in its purest form is God.
                      Jain Karma theory is a "Law of Cause and Effect".  Only WE are responsible for our past, present and future and only WE can alter it. No one else can! (not even God). This concept empowers every individual with complete control of their life.
                      Mahavirswami struck at the roots of blind faith, biased dogmas, and authoritative absolutism with the bold, open minded but simple principle of Anekantvad (non absolutism or multi sidedness) This NON-ABSOLUTE logic replaces certitude with relativity in thinking. According to this principle, one may be right or one may be wrong. Even the opponent may be right. Once we acquire this attitude, we can never be intolerant to other’s viewpoints.

                      4 what is the IMP of religion in our life ?
                      See the answer to Q. 2

                      5 why one should follow a particular religion ?
                      Great question. I am with you on this.  I wish everyone asked this question before blindly following any religion or "ism". When you go out as an Indian, you will meet, Pakistani or American or Mexican or Australian etc... When you go out as an Jain, you would meet a Christian or Muslim or Jew or Hindu etc... But if you go out as a "human being" you would meet a fellow human being. Take this even further.... Go out in this world as a "being"(soul) and you would great all living beings as your friend... what a powerful concept!
                      Having said that, let me also say that I follow Jain philosophy in my day to day life, because it has succeeded in answering all my queries so far; like who am I... what is the purpose of my life etc... At the same time it has given me a set of values to live by; without hurting or interfering with others' way of life. Each individual must find his/her own path based on set of values they are comfortable with. Even Mahavirswami in his last seman said "Appana Sachame Secha" - meening "find you own truth". Don't let anyone tell you that one religion or philosophy is better than the other. In fact, bellow is the quote from Jain scripture:

                      "Those who praise their own faith, disparage their opponents and posses malice against them will remain confined to the cycle of birth and death".

                          - Sutrakritaang

                      I hope my rather long answer is helpful in reducing some of your confusion. Keep asking questions till you are satisfied.

                      Submitted respectfully

                      Sudhir M. Shah

                      www.anekant.org

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 3, 2004
                        Jai Jinendra
                        Maharastra govt. gave minority status to jain.This is not good  for our
                        country. How it effect our educational status ,our per capita income.
                        You wrote that we can get financial help from  govt.  but how much?
                        By only govt. help can we make  ourself  mighty? We have to work hard
                        We have to educate our brothers.Mostly  jains have  financial condition. We try ourself to put in  good educational institute.
                        What happen to Muslims in Gujrat? In 1984 sikhs were killed in delhi.
                         Christans  r  also targeted ?I think  If   we  get  minoriy status we will
                        cut from Hindus.I  find no benifite  from this status.Our  mostly  institute
                        r  from hindi  medium. We emphasize on  english . In our country
                        there r many Engineering & Madical Colleges  . How many our (jain) institute r ranked  top ? List is  very much short .
                        I think "SHANKHAYA (number ) NAHI (not) SAMYRTHA(srenght) MAIN
                        VISVASH(faith)   KARO"

                        BHUPESH BOTHRA
                        3rd yr
                        ECE ,MNIT  JAIPUR

                        deepcon@... wrote:
                        Jains are declared religious minority
                           By: A Mid Day Correspondent
                           February 28, 2004
                        -----------
                        Jains have been declared a religious minority in the state.

                        The state Cabinet decided to declare the community as a religious
                        minority on a proposal moved by Civil Supplies Minister Sureshdada
                        Jain on Wednesday.

                        The community is the sixth religious group to be recognised as a
                        minority in the state after Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Parsis and
                        Buddhists.

                        Educational institutions run by this community will be the main
                        beneficiaries of the new minority status because they can reserve 50
                        per cent of the seats in their institutions for Jain students, said
                        S G Thakur, under-secretary, general administration, Maharashtra
                        government.

                        "The community had been asking for a minority status in the state
                        for a long time. Since there are no reservations in government jobs
                        for religious minorities, the decision will not help the community
                        in that respect. But educational institutes will benefit," he said.

                        There are approximately 10 lakh Jains in the state. Most of them
                        live in and around Mumbai and Pune. But a large business community
                        also lives in north Maharashtrian towns like Malegaon, Jalgaon and
                        Nagpur.

                        Apart from Maharashtra, the community has minority status in Madhya
                        Pradesh, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Uttaranchal, Chhattisgarh and Uttar
                        Pradesh.

                        J K Jain, general secretary of Shri Bharatvarshiya Digamber Jain
                        (Shrut Smavardhani) Mahasabha said the decision would also help Jain
                        religious institutions.

                        "Like religious institutions of other minority groups, Jain temples
                        cannot be taken over by the government now," he said.

                        Community organisations can also avail of concessional aid from
                        government financial institutions to set up educational
                        institutions, said Amin Khandwani, chairman of the State Minorities
                        Commission.

                        "For instance, coaching classes for the IAS exams for aspirants from
                        the minority commission can also avail of the financial aid being
                        offered," he said.
                        On the Jains

                        • Jainism traces its roots to a succession of 24 Tirthankaras or
                        teachers.

                        • The last teacher was Vardhaman Mahavira who lived around 5 BC.

                        • Jains number around 40 lakh and constitute 0.4 per cent of India's
                        population.

                        • Most Jains live in Gujarat, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Karnataka.

                        • The community is strictly vegetarian.

                        Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

                      • vihan jain
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 3, 2004

                          jai mahaveer

                          yes i am agree on this matter,that we should not take this type unnecessary govt ad, bcoz all govts giving this status for their political benefits only i think. and mostly Jain's are financial sound so i think,we should help to other people who are really deserving

                          bcoz normally i feel that Jain's spend allot of money on show business and other unnecessary things but not on real deserving peoples, we people can spend allot of money in any ceremony and other things  but we not think abt poor ,handicapped and other deserving people who really wants help

                          so i am requesting all of people plz make a real efforts don't just believe in showbusiiness only

                          bye take care

                          vihan jain(Delhi)

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                        • Rajeev Luhadia
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 5, 2004
                            Dear Friend,

                            As per your email you want to know about religion.
                            The religion is a medium of our life to run in a
                            symmetric method. I mean You have got birth on this
                            earth but you don't know how you will do in your life.
                            So The god made a method to run a Human life in a
                            manner. Which called religion. Human's mind always
                            runs. Then the Human have partition in religion in so
                            many part to spend his life in his manner but he
                            doesn't want to against the god's manner. Then
                            reigion's part are Jainism, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs
                            etc.
                            Our Ist Teerthankar Shri Mahaveer Swamy was a Prince.
                            He has done tapasya and got some knowledge. Rest will
                            later....

                            Rajeev

                            http://search.yahoo.com
                          • navinshravak
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 5, 2004
                              Rajeev Luhadia <rajeevluhadia@y...> wrote:

                              > So The god made a method to run a Human life in a
                              > manner. Which called religion.

                              All religions are really created by men. Even religions that claim
                              to have been founded by a god, were also created by men.

                              Who is this "god" you are talking about?

                              > Human's mind always
                              > runs. Then the Human have partition in religion in so
                              > many part to spend his life in his manner but he
                              > doesn't want to against the god's manner. Then
                              > reigion's part are Jainism, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs
                              > etc.

                              Jainism is the religion founded by Tirthankaras and kevalis.
                              It is a very unique religion.

                              > Our Ist Teerthankar Shri Mahaveer Swamy was a Prince.
                              > He has done tapasya and got some knowledge. Rest will
                              > later....

                              No, he wasn't the first Tirthankar. He didn't become a Tirthankara
                              just because he did some tapasya and got some knowledge. Becoming a
                              tirthankara involved many lifetimes. He was a kevali who possessed
                              kevalajnana. No "some" there.

                              Navin
                            • MAYUR JAIN

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 10, 2004
                                  mr bhupesh bothra

                                  why u r objecting the decisions of the maharashtra
                                  govt. what m.s. govt is done , is very nice and very
                                  successful footstep. it should have done long back

                                  JaiPur Jain may have lots of money to build temple and
                                  to show also, it doesnot mean that maharashtra jain r
                                  having the money like jaipur jains

                                  I think all the states should proceed in this way...

                                  bye....

                                  http://search.yahoo.com
                                • Mahavir
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 10, 2004
                                    --- In jainfriends@yahoogroups.com, bhupesh bothra

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 4, 2004
                                      Thanxs sir for your kind reply, And i am happy that you have clear my so many confussion .I am sorry i am late  to inform you. The most Attracting part of your answer is that  you have explain it to me in very simple and practical manner. Still i have some questions like
                                      Q1  Is anyone has seen soul,when we talk about soul?
                                      Q 2 what is the proove of next/last birth and death,Is jainism beleive in it?
                                      Q3 According to jainism where we go after our death?
                                      Q4 Is it possible ,that we can enjoy our good kerma or we can  be punish by our bad kerma   in present birth only?our our present is a result of our past  birth  kerma and our present  kerma create our future bith status?
                                      Q5 Is jainism beleive is luck or bhagya?
                                      Q6 Is pooja or other relegious activity like temple visit etc is compulsory?
                                      Q7 why people call that jainism is bhavna pradhan dherma?
                                       my pet name is rinkal pls send answer to me on mehtaarpitain@... when ever you get time .
                                       with regards
                                      Rinkal