Re: [Jain Friends] MOKSH ka Sacha Marg kya ?

  • aditya cyber
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 30, 2003
      hai aprita,

      i agree with ur views n i like taht
      oky bye
      i m pm sanghvi

      arpita mehta <arpitamehta_in@...> wrote:
      i agree with ur views as i know from my
      childhood that jain religion is different from other
      religion coz it is a BHAVANA PRADHAN religion jainism
      doesn't force anything to anyone it is totally a
      religion which consider the real internal feeling of a
      person rather than any showesss it is really a great
      thing i love in jain religion

      second thing is that it
      is a religion which is more near to science everything
      that is written in jain shastra have some scientific
      base so that many people love to know the basic of its
      origion and i have seen so many people who accept
      jainism after an complete analysis of its concept

      arpita

      =========== Dharma Charcha: Meri Bhavana =============

      May truth be talk of every home, there be no sign of evil act;
      Enlightened people may improve, fruits of this life may get, in fact.
      Misfortune, dread may never come; bountiful rains come well in time;
      May rulers always be righteous, may justice be even, sublime.

      Disease and famine may not be; may people have plenty and peace;
      Nonviolence be the rule of world, may world be full of joy and ease,
      May mutual love pervade the world and dark delusions fade away;
      Untrue, unkind, intriguing, harsh, such words, no one may ever say.

      ===== Pandit Jugal Kishor Mukhtar =====
      ===== English translation: Devendra Kumar Jain =====
    • parag sangoi
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 1, 2003
        Jai Jinendra

        Curd is output of bacteria process so it do contain jeevs (which one can't
        able to see by eyes) so it is advisable to avoid curd. One can have freshly
        prepared curd for medical reasons but atlease avoid many days before
        prepared curd. (eg. sold in market)

        parag

        -------------------------0000()0000-------------------------****************************paro****************************
        don't forget to visit my personel site
      • Sreepalan VC
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 1, 2003

          Samyak Darshan

          Dear Shri.Ashish Jain,

          Let soul secure samyakthva.

          Sub: Curd � not a food for Jain Saints.

          You are candid and splendid indeed in pointing out the truth about consuming curd as it carries innumerable lives � bacteria and willful consumption is adichaar and its continuance is anachaar.

          No Digamber Jain Muni will consume curd and if he does he is committing the above and is not in the order of muni as expounded by THIRTHANKARS and found in Jain scriptures.

          It is a strange news that Jain Saint consumes curd and even milk after some time is prohibited for consumption by saints and shravaks should refrain from giving such food and if given, they also bind paap karma instead of punnya karma.

          Now for the participants,

          �Know thyself and be thyself� is by KEVALIN, of KEVALIN and for KEVALIN.

          Truth is KEVALIN�S and the rests are mine.

          Best of luck to the Jain Group of
           Singapore.

          Yours brotherly,
          sreepalan

          Ashish Jain <ashishgangwal@...> wrote:
          Dear Friends,

          I am having one doubt that Why Dahi (Curd) is not
          trated as noneatable(Abhakshya) according to Jain
          principles?

          Most of JainSadhus are having curd as Aahar, but
          according to scientific study it contains lots many
          small jeevs.

          Please reply it.

          Ashish Jain

          http://shopping.yahoo.com

          Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Sreepalan VC
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 1, 2003
            Samyak Darshan

            Dear Shri.Dhiran Sanghavai,

            Let soul secure samyakthva.

            Edible items for Jains:

            It is impossible to list out and it will be fair for you to go thro any shravakaachar viz., Shri Rathnakarnandaka Shravakaachar, Shri Purushartha Siddhuppaya etc., which will enumerate and explain whys and hows.

            Now for the participants,

            "Know thyself and be thyself"

            Yours brotherly,
            sreepalan

            Dhiren Sanghavi <dhirens@...> wrote:
            Dear Ashish,

            Kindly reply following and oblige.

            1. Which items are eatable and still without Jeev ? Which food has no jeev at all ?

            2. Did tirthankars eliminated Curd, Onions, Potato and roots and etc to be tirthankars or they gave up something else?

            3. Which book/Mahagranth/Aagam in Jainism says that Onions, potatos, Garlic etc should not be taken as food as it contains a lot of jeevs.

            4. It is scientifically proved that tomatos have more jeevs than onion and potatos. Then why tomato is not in the ban list ?

            5. Which tirthankar gave this Gyan to us ? Any idea ?

            6. What are jain principals ? Is jainism a way to moksha or an art of living ?

            If items can be added to ban list, I can give many items which should be added to ban list so as to minimise hinsa.

            eg : You might not have knowledge that AQUA GUARD or alike system that purifies water have a UV lamp which kills bacteria in water. As a jain, will you stop drinking such water? When you visit someone, will you inform them that Jains dont drink AQUA GUARD water and so will you avoid water ?

            "Drinking water should be boild first" Is it a principal of Jainism ? We always boil water for health reasons. As per scientific study, we must stop that, right ?

            Please reply my first question sincerely. Your answer may also answer your question.

            I have no intention to hurt your feelings but please understand that Jainism is not only about Curd, Onions etc. To hurt panchendriya Jeev by MAAN, VACHAAN & KAYA is biggest level of Hinsa. If you insult someone once is bigger than consumption of CURD / ONION/ POTATO etc for 3 months.

            What is to be given up ????? What are we doing ??????

            Think on that.

            Laghutam Bhave,
            Dhiren.

            Ashish Jain <ashishgangwal@...> wrote:
            Dear Friends,

            I am having one doubt that Why Dahi (Curd) is not
            trated as noneatable(Abhakshya) according to Jain
            principles?

            Most of JainSadhus are having curd as Aahar, but
            according to scientific study it contains lots many
            small jeevs.

            Please reply it.

            Ashish Jain

            http://shopping.yahoo.com

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/_sTslB/TM

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • MUKESH CHOPRA JAIN
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 1, 2003
              Was it "Sthulibhadra"....

              "Pankaj...varanasi" <pankaj_jainvns@...> wrote:Dear friends ,

              Jai paras to all of you ,

              as Mr. Deepak Mehata wants to know that if there is possiblity of MOKSHA today ?
              and he also wants to know that, is there any possibility of Avadhi gyan , kevalay gyan..........

              So with refrence to that I want to tell all my jain friends that We are now living in Bharat Chetra and no one can go to MOKSHA direct from this bharat chetra...although you can go to dev yoni and there after you can go to MAHAVIDEHA CHETRA and can go to MOKSHA from there...

              In this ARA (KAL) kevelyagyan is not possible in to this BHARAT CHETRA and also AVADHI GYAN........But there is some contraversy about avadhi gyan

              both kevalyagyan and avadhigyan is only for Sadhus and not for Sravak or Sravika...we cant get that .....

              ya there is a contraversy of Avadhi Gyan in past when a Sravak was having it in the presence of Bhagwan Mahaveer swami.....that was.......... noooooo .....its my question to all of you ......tell me who was that Sravak Who was having AVADHI GYAN....???????????

              HE WAS THE ONLY PERSON IN JAIN HISTORY WHO WAS HAVING AVADHI GYAN AS A SRAVAK.....

              BYE TO ALL OF YOU
            • Dr. Ravindra Kanchankoti
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 2, 2003
                Dear Mr. Shreepal

                If you reach a situation where you have nothing to eat except material
                which is not allowed in religion what will you do? Survival important or
                religion is important? (There are so many cases in history where people
                have actually gone through this type of situations.)

                Regards,

                Ravi

                You are candid and splendid indeed in pointing out the truth about consuming curd as it carries innumerable lives bacteria and willful consumption is adichaar and its continuance is anachaar.

                No Digamber Jain Muni will consume curd and if he does he is committing the above and is not in the order of muni as expounded by THIRTHANKARS and found in Jain scriptures.

                It is a strange news that Jain Saint consumes curd and even milk after some time is prohibited for consumption by saints and shravaks should refrain from giving such food and if given, they also bind paap karma instead of punnya karma.

                Now for the participants,

                "Know thyself and be thyself" is by KEVALIN, of KEVALIN and for KEVALIN.

                Truth is KEVALINS and the rests are mine.

                Best of luck to the Jain Group of Singapore.

                Yours brotherly,
                sreepalan

                ====================== Dharma Charcha: Daya =========================
                LIVING EXAMPLES OF TRUE MERCY

                Ishverchandra Vmdyasagar was a great and glorious famous native
                of the state of Bengal in India. Once he was on his way to the
                village Kalna with his friend, Girishchandra Vidyasagar. He saw
                a poor laborer lying on the ground. He was suffering from
                diarrhea and was constantly vomiting. His clothes were smelling
                bad. Many persons placed their handkerchiefs over their noses
                and passed by with their faces turned. The laborer's satchel
                containing all his possessions was lying next to him.

                When Ishverchandra saw the suffering man he understood the
                situation. He lifted up the sick man on his shoulders and
                instructed his friend Girishchandra to follow with the man's
                possessions. They walked to the Kalna village. Arrangements
                were made at an rest house and a doctor was called for the poor
                sick laborer.

                The sick man became normal within two days with the help of
                proper treatment. Then Ishverchandra said, "Well friend, my
                mission is over. I shall go now." He gave money to the laborer
                and left with his friend Girishchandra.

                The laborer was simply stunned by the true mercy of this godly
                person.

                Such was Ishverchandra Vidyasagar, the very embodiment of
                compassion. His selfless service and his divine spirit of
                true mercy deserves our praise.

                ========== From Sadhak and Sathi by ===================Shri Atmanandji (Dr. Soneji)=========
              • Sreepalan VC
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 2, 2003

                  Samyak Darshan

                  Dear Shri. Bharat shah,

                  Let soul secure samyakthva.

                  A participant has raised some doubts about the Jain followers not having similarity in understanding the preachings of THIRTHANKAR. Extracts are quoted and answers are also given and the same is reproduced for the benefit of other readers and yourselves too.

                  If it is useful obliged I am and if not excused I may be, for disturbing you and other participants.

                  Rendition starts:

                  Sensed some doubt about the preaching of THITHANKAR from your submissions.

                  Quote:

                  �my belief in Tirthankar vaani is still firm�

                  Reply:

                  If what is stated is firm in you, could there by any vacillation about proceeding on the lines expounded by HIM, instead of analyzing other systems.  Are you able to sense the difference it makes?

                  Secondly, faith as understood is unassailable or other wise it is not faith but only a piece of information one continues to toy with.

                  Quote:

                  �why jain followers cannot keep today's seekers with jainism.�

                  Reply:

                  When one does not follow the tenets of Jain Dharma, he is not a Jain and no doubt it may appear to outsiders that one is not following the tenets of Jain Dharma but as you know that internal purity should normally reflect in external purity and if any lapse is there it is not for us to condemn and earn paap karma. It is for one to realize and adopt.

                  Secondly, it is to be understood very strictly that JAIN DHARMA is swa dharma and while following it, if any other one may or may not benefit and it is not our concern to preach and perfect others, unless otherwise that anyone approaches us for guidance with seriousness and sincerity.

                  Quote:

                  �i experienced was nowhere different from what our tirthankars said,but  we are not able to express this in a right and believable manner in jainism.�

                  How can one�s experience be expressed to others and as you know experience is �knowledge par excellence� and is one�s personal property and cannot be shared not even with THIRTHANKAR and vice versa. Your bliss / anand, an inseparable quality of your soul and your sole alone, can be experienced only by you and not by any others including THRITHANKAR.

                  Samyakthva is synchronization of the Ratna Triya � Samyak Gynaan, Samyak Dharshan and Samyak Charitra in soul, by soul and for soul and all of them are inseparable qualities of one�s soul. To know for certain one�s soul, believe one�s soul and conduct one self as soul is Ratna Triya.

                  It is what Jain Dharma says about Samyakthva, being the first step towards Moksha Marg and it is now for you to know and be satisfied with what you had experienced and what other thinkers say about their findings.

                  Certainly one would not think of any thing else if one has really experienced what our sacred scriptures have said about Samyakthva.

                  There are no two ways for Moksha marg in JAIN DHARMA. Path is one only.

                  �Samyak darshana gynaana chaaritraani moksha marga:�

                  Achaary Shri Umaaswamy � Shri Thathvaarth Sutra  Ch - 1 Sutra -1.

                  If �Samyakthva� is what you had experienced, the taste of it cannot be forgotten or lost sight of and you are in the path of liberation.

                  Now for the participants,

                  �Know thyself and be thyself� is by KEVALIN, of KEVALIN and for KEVALIN.
                  Truth is KEVALIN�S and the rests are mine.
                  Yours brotherly,
                  sreepalan

                  bharat shah <shahbharat001@...> wrote:

                  just with ur views over the path of moksha prapti

                  i wish to say only one thing n it is

                  today we just have to practice to see our own
                  behaviour in this life span n to make it pure n
                  transperant for us, to use  this destination to make
                  this life more meaningful n to make our consciousness
                  more orderly to grasp the levels of knowledge to put
                  ourselves to the path of moksha

                  bye bye

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com

                  Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • abhay shah
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 3, 2003
                    yes mr. ashish u r right but it is eatable only one
                    night after it is being and till two nights after it
                    is melt it remains withought jeevs. so plz keep this
                    in mind and kindly contact any sadhu for exact
                    clearification. hope u will get it right
                    ok

                    --- Ashish Jain <ashishgangwal@...> wrote:
                    > Dear Friends,
                    >
                    > I am having one doubt that Why Dahi (Curd) is not
                    > trated as noneatable(Abhakshya) according to Jain
                    > principles?
                    >
                    > Most of JainSadhus are having curd as Aahar, but
                    > according to scientific study it contains lots many
                    > small jeevs.
                    >
                    > Please reply it.
                    >
                    > Ashish Jain

                    =========== Dharma Charcha: Meri Bhavana =============

                    Whether someone does frighten me, or even tempt me in some way;
                    May my steps never falter from proven good and righteous way.
                    Neither may I be too joyous, nor may I be nervous in pain;
                    I may not dread stormy river, a jungle, ghost or rough mountain.

                    ===== Pandit Jugal Kishor Mukhtar =====
                    ===== English translation: Devendra Kumar Jain =====
                  • Vishal Shah
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 3, 2003
                      E.g.

                      When Mahavir's soul, when he was a lion(10 births
                      back). He was preached by Saint, and he got Samyak
                      Darshan. Now lion is a wild animal, and except meat,
                      lion can not eat any veg food.

                      So, Lion stopped to eat, and did 'Samadhi Maran'(death
                      with peace by staying at one place).

                      I think, Jain should not eat. If such situation comes,
                      one should prefer to die than eat such stuff.
                      Well, it is easy to say, but difficult to apply. But
                      we should think that 'ayushya'(lifetime) is based on
                      'Ayu Karma' and we should give up 'non veg' food, if
                      situation is like that.

                      Vishal.

                      --- "Dr. Ravindra Kanchankoti"
                      <r_kanchankoti@...> wrote:
                      > Dear Mr. Shreepal
                      >
                      > If you reach a situation where you have nothing to
                      > eat except material
                      > which is not allowed in religion what will you do?
                      > Survival important or
                      > religion is important? (There are so many cases in
                      > history where people
                      > have actually gone through this type of situations.)
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Ravi

                      =========== Dharma Charcha ===========

                      Maitri Bhavanu pavitra jharanu
                      Muja haiyama vahya kare,
                      Shubta thao a sakala vishvanu
                      Evi bhavana nitya rahe;

                      Gunathi bharela gunijana dekhi
                      Haiyu maru nrutya kare,
                      E santona, charana kamalama
                      Muja jivananu arghya rahe

                      May the sacred stream of AMITY flow forever in my heart
                      May the universe prosper, such is my cherished desire

                      May my heart sing with ecstasy at the sight of the virtuous;
                      And may my life be an offering at their feet.

                      ===== hri Chitrabhanu ====================
                    • Sreepalan VC
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 3, 2003

                        Samyak Darshan

                        Dear Dr. Ravindra Kanchankoti,

                        Let soul secure samyakthva.

                        Sub: Eating vis a vis survival

                        Indeed a question that haunts very many and more particularly Jains in the present day, if permitted to say, which is devoid or corrupt of clear and right knowledge of Jain Dharma.

                        Your question is simply that of �living to eat or eating to live�, of course if accepted, religiously.

                        Now, if eating is the very necessity for living, kindly analyze a situation if one does not eat he will have to die and even if that one continues to eat, he will have to die one day. Then what is the contribution of eating for one�s survival in other words is it eating that is deciding factor for one�s survival or one�s ayu karma.

                        Eating and no eating are very much incidental � instrumental cause (nimitta) to the survival of a living being and not substantial cause. In other words the body will separate itself from soul at its own time being its own modification � paryaaya.

                        So, survival is not dependent on eating and then the question of religious living remains to be discussed.

                        What is religious living?

                        Living postulates togetherness of soul and body and body as long as it is with soul there will be hunger periodically which is one of the 18 defects as expounded by THIRTHANKARS, is it not? So to live without defects is religious and it its simple meaning.

                        While soul is in a body only it is prosecuting Moksha marg and therefore, hunger is an unnatural corollary of the existential situation, agreed?

                        So to appease hunger taking food becomes a necessity, till soul develops the capacity in itself to win over hunger. And therefore one has to be discrete in selecting food items which will carry less number of living organisms and thus avoid more killing to satisfy one�s hunger- an unnatural development.

                        Well, now it is for one to choose one to be religious or otherwise, of course, following JAIN Dharma and secure samyakthva being the prime step towards Moksha Marg, the one and the only goal of shravak / shravika � Jain.

                        The discussion does not speak about followers of other systems of philosophy, as their goal is not Moksa marg as expounded by JINA.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 5, 2003

                          Samyak Darshan

                          Dear Shri. Vishal Shah,

                          Let soul secure samyakthva.

                          Sub: Eating vis a vis nature of soul.

                          Bold and beautiful indeed to submit even if not, as stated, to practice.

                          Recalling the past births of Baghavaan MAHAVIR is very right approach to place on board the discussion table so that the argument gets strength and faith.

                          Please examine if the nature of he substance � soul � is explained along with the past of the THIRTHANKAR, would it not further unfold the path of liberation.

                          Structural nature of the soul is ANEKAANTH, as you all know. And that is the co-existence of infinite opposing principles such as permanent - nitya and impermanent � anithya.

                          Soul substance is comprised of three parts � angas viz., substance � dhravya, qualities � gunas and modifications � paryaayas.

                          Of the three substance and qualities are never changing and ever remaining the same � nitya and whereas modifications are ever changing and never remaining the same � anitya, is that agreeable?

                          If agreeable let us now attempt to examine the case of Baghavaan MAHAVIRS�S animal birth in which HE has secured Samyakthva, right.

                          Dhyaana is he tool to secure liberationt from the cycle of birth and death, is that right?

                          To get into dhyaana one has to choose the permanent one or impermanent one, and naturally one will choose the permanent only, is that acceptable? Or otherwise the concentration, being the process of dhyaana, will not yield desired result, is that understood?

                          So, choosing the changing one i.e., modifications � paryaayas for dhyaan will not help doing dhyaana, as what to think continuously as modifications are changing every samaya, is that correct?

                          Next, if both the substance and its qualities in other words � gnyayaak bhaav � meaning as knower and knower alone, which are the permanent ones and also the modifications which are impermanent ones, are chosen then again the concentration will be evading and result will not emerge, is that right?

                          Finally, the substance and its qualities otherwise called � gnyayak bhaav � as knower and knower alone � which is permanent, if chosen, you will agree that dhyaan will have to yield its desired result, agreed.

                          It would appear now eating has no relevance to the process of dhyaan culminating in Moksha. Now it is for us to understand that death is a continuous process and none can stop it as long as one in the embodied condition is that right? And as a corollary one is concerned about food and as seen earlier in another submission that eating or not eating is not going to stop death, is that right?

                          Finally, it would devolve on that who is one and what his qualities are and on which one to perform dhyaana. As established herein above the object of dhyaana should be one�s permanent part ie., substance and its qualities called- knower � gnyaayak.

                          In other words if one knows that one is knower and believes as knower alone and conducts as knower alone and never as doer, Moksha has but to unfold undoubtedly.

                          Soul of Baghavaan MAHAVIR ought to have concentrated its thought activities on itself as knower and knower alone and could secure Samyakthva, the first and the prime step to Moksha.

                          <r_kanchankoti@...> wrote:
                          > Dear Mr. Shreepal

                          > If you reach a situation where you have nothing to
                          > eat except material
                          > which is not allowed in religion what will you do?
                          > Survival important or
                          > religion is important? (There are so many cases in
                          > history where people
                          > have actually gone through this type of situations.)

                          > Regards,

                          > Ravi

                          =========== Dharma Charcha ===========

                          Maitri Bhavanu pavitra jharanu
                          Muja haiyama vahya kare,
                          Shubta thao a sakala vishvanu
                          Evi bhavana nitya rahe;

                          Gunathi bharela gunijana dekhi
                          Haiyu maru nrutya kare,
                          E santona, charana kamalama
                          Muja jivananu arghya rahe

                          May the sacred stream of AMITY flow forever in my heart
                          May the universe prosper, such is my cherished desire

                          May my heart sing with ecstasy at the sight of the virtuous;
                          And may my life be an offering at their feet.

                          ===== hri Chitrabhanu ====================

                          Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                        • Deepakji mehta
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 8, 2003
                            Jai Jinedra 2 all of u.
                            Banduo,

                            Asha hai aap sab per Bhagvaan Mahaveer ki kripa bani
                            rahegi. Aaj muje aap se ye janna hai k Karmo ka Bandan
                            kaise hota hai. Maan ke Bhawo se hi Karmo k Bandan
                            bandtey hai or Unni se Katte hai. Mansuiyo ko aapne
                            Maan pe, apni Indriyo pe jitni Pakad hogi, mere khyal
                            mai wo hi Sahi mayne mai Moksh prapti ka Sadak hoga.
                            Karmo k Bandan kar k hi hum sab Sukh or Dukh ko
                            bhoogte hai. is liye maan ko kabu mai rakh kar isse
                            Acchai ki or perit karo. Sayad isi mai hum sab ka
                            Kalyaan hoga.

                            Deepak Mehta
                            Manak Tv.
                            Jaipur

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com
                          • Dr. Ravindra Kanchankoti
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 9, 2003
                              Dear Mr. Sreepalan

                              Is it not ending life by stopping to eat is Atma Hatya? And we get
                              re-birth because of our karmas in last birth, unless we go through that
                              we should not end life otherwise again we will have to take birth. So is
                              it not wrong to do it?

                              Regards,

                              Ravi

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 9, 2003
                                Hi Jain,

                                Atma Hatya???? 'Atma Hatya' is done because someone
                                want to get rid of this world. Afraid of results of
                                Karmas built in past by own. At the time of suicide
                                'Darshan moh'/'Kashay reaches at pick.

                                'Samadhi Maran' is done with very peacefully and clear
                                cut mind. At the time of 'Samadhi maran', 'Darshan
                                moh'/'Kashay reaches at lowest level if done truly.

                                Samadhi Maran concept is there. When Muni(monk) became
                                disable due to sickness or injury or by any means. At
                                that time, Muni takes this action 'Samadhi Maran'.
                                Today also some sadhus do 'Santharo'. 'Dhyaan' until
                                death come.

                                Well, it is different topic that current monk's
                                'santharo' is with real 'dhyaan' or with 'raudra
                                dhyaan'. But in past, when true Sadhus were getting
                                disabled, they accepted 'Samadhi Maran'.

                                It depends on you, how strong you are. Gandhi or
                                Kastrurba(his wife) was sick, and doctor(European)
                                told him to take beef tea. But Gandhi denied.

                                Even today, if doctor advices to eat eggs to Jain.
                                Jain will not do that. 'Bhakshya' - 'Abhakshya'
                                difference should be followed.

                                I am putting meat/egg/seafood in 'abhakshya'. I am
                                eating roots sometime. But ideally Jain should not eat
                                roots also.

                                And ultimate thing, Food habits are not helpful to
                                achieve 'Samyak Darshan'. But your 'purusharth' can
                                only help you.

                                Regards,

                                Vishal.

                                --- "Dr. Ravindra Kanchankoti"
                                <r_kanchankoti@...> wrote:
                                > Dear Mr. Sreepalan
                                >
                                > Is it not ending life by stopping to eat is Atma
                                > Hatya? And we get
                                > re-birth because of our karmas in last birth, unless
                                > we go through that
                                > we should not end life otherwise again we will have
                                > to take birth. So is
                                > it not wrong to do it?
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Ravi
                              • Sreepalan VC
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 9, 2003

                                  Samyak Darshan

                                  Dear Dr. Ravindra Kanchankoti,

                                  Let soul secure samyakthva.

                                  Sub: Atma hatya vis a vis Sallekhana and samaadhi maran.

                                  It is quite but natural from any one�s point of view, a doubt of this nature and similar ones to crop up but from the revelations of JINENDRA Baghavaan, it is abundantly made clear that nature of substance is the basis on which the discussion should start and end.

                                  What is the nature of the soul substance and inert dead material � pudgal?

                                  We all know that the former is knowing and seeing energy and the later is not knowing and seeing energy.

                                  Knower is the soul and so it knows that the sole object in being born as human being, is to secure / bring out the ever lasting bliss, one of the intrinsic qualities of soul and so when it finds itself that the body in which it is housed has become useless, may be due to old age, continued sickness and cannot be helpful to pursue the path of liberation, allowing the same condition would only be a hindrance to its pursuit of the goal, decides to liberate itself from the body.

                                  So the determined soul seeks the guidance and help of a Digamber Saint and gets administered the oath of sallekhana � a determination and decision to remain in atama saadhana, consequently fasting unto death, called samaadhi maran.

                                  It is totally different from atma hatya envisaged in your question. This action to end one�s life forcibly due to failures and disappointments etc.,on account of aspiring for things to happen in other than self whcih are independent and so by seeking odd and crude methods of poisoning, hanging, cutting, etc., very much engulfs one�s soul in unimaginable suffering of falling into narak.

                                  This is not at all to be equated to this pious, considered and calculated action of Sallekhana and samaadhi maran which necessarily blesses the soul with lots of punnya karma and mostly born as deva, subject of course due observation of this sacred vrath.

                                  �Cowards die many a times before the death but valiant taste the death but once� so goes the out burst of Julius Caesar of William Shakespeare.  So the determined aspirant in our case knows very well that he has to abandon the body and keeps himself in readiness.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 22, 2003
                                    Dear Dhiren Sanghavi,

                                    I have been reading your postings about Karma. And you
                                    are reading book also on Karma.

                                    Once you finish the current book. Please read
                                    following link about MokshMarg Prakashak. I hope you
                                    read Gujarati. Otherwise it is in Hindi also. English
                                    version is also there, but not sure, is it finished or
                                    not.

                                    MokshMarg Prakashak Link:
                                    http://www.atmadharma.com/mokshmrgpra/gujarati/mokshmargprakashakgujarati.pdf

                                    Page 43: Karma related. (Adhikar 2)
                                    Page 116: Avtar and Anya mat related. (Adhikar 5)

                                    Above mentioned whole .pdf file is downloadble, and
                                    can be open by any .pdf reader software. If you dont
                                    have such software, you can dowload software from
                                    It is free software.

                                    Please read whole book if possible. Pandit Todarmalji
                                    tried to put everything in 1 book.

                                    Regards,

                                    Vishal.

                                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                  • Sreepalan VC
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 22, 2003

                                      Samyak Darshan

                                      Dear Shri.Dhiren Sanghavi,

                                      Let soul secure samyakthva.

                                      Sub: Karma Theory vis a vis Shri.Krishna and Shri Raavan

                                      Right and timely indeed for you and even for all entrants, Shri.Vishal has mentioned and recommended the name of the book �Moksha marg prakaashak� by Pandit Shri Thodarmal, a comprehensive discussion worthy of any interested person to get  a clear and correct picture of Jain Dharma both from real and practical points of view.
                                      It has come in English too but Hindi or Gujaraati will drive home any one, but of course the interested should know any one of the languages.