why you and not them

  • natty dapper
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31, 2003
      hey rajesh

      it was great that you got a chance to feed
      acharyashree shree vidyasagar ji maharaj on the very
      first day, but what i didn't understand was why were
      you prefered then those who were waiting since 2-3
      months. i feel because of our special requests those
      people who are supposed to wait for one month are made
      to wait for 2 months. i don't want to offend you, i
      even don't know how important it is to feed
      acharyashree, people call me atheist so i hardly get a
      chance to wipe off my sins but i am certain that there
      are certain things in life that we ignore, just felt
      this was one of it.

      later natty

      --- Rajesh jain <paawanimpex@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      oh!! yes it is great to be a jain
      there is no dought about that
      we resently visited to acharyashree shree vidyasagar
      ji maharaj at amer kantak and what a luck we had a
      fortune to feed him on the very first day we went
      there and we stay only 2 days in amer kantak and lucky
      enough to feed him both the days even there were so
      many person waiting from 2 to 3 months waiting to feed
      him.
      we felt great
      it was a nice time for our family all the members of
      our family had a time to offer him atlealt once.

      --- Chetankumar Jain <chetankumarjain@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Friends!
      >
      > Jai Jinendra!
      >
      > I am really feeling great, being a Jain, being a
      > member of Jainfriends.
      >
      > Anyways, I am Chetankumar Jain, Age 25, friends
      > call me chitts, i have done my enggineering from
      > Nagpur Univ.,
      >
      > Rightnow I run my own business in IT enabled
      > services(Hardware & BPO consultancy)
      >
      > I love making friends and if they are jains then its
      > wonderful.
      >
      > Regards to all my Jain Friends!
      >
      > Chetan

      Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design
      software
      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com
      and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

      Terms of Service.

      Yahoo! India Promos: Win TVs, Bikes, DVD players & more!
      Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com
    • parag jain
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2003
        hi to all my friend
           hey friend i wanna to take attention of all my friend hey friends i wanna to ask one thinge how it is good to make stervation  contineously 31days i am asking about maskhaman in that person not take anythinge except boiled water for 31 days friends just tell me is it right in the view of science ? is it fair ? hey all the protins and calsium comes to an end in this 31days and i think no blood is produce only with the help of water
           so just tell me and reply me
           wheather it is right ?  wheather marasaheb force to any one to do such long stervation ?
           bye friends
           see you
          reply to it i think its a really important matter for thinking

        wrote:

        > Hi Friends!
        >
        > Jai Jinendra!
        >
        > I am really feeling great, being a Jain, being a
        > member of Jainfriends.
        >
        > Anyways, I am Chetankumar Jain, Age 25,  friends
        > call me chitts, i have done my enggineering from
        > Nagpur Univ.,
        >
        > Rightnow I run my own business in IT enabled
        > services(Hardware & BPO consultancy)
        >
        > I love making friends and if they are jains then its
        > wonderful.
        >
        > Regards to all my Jain Friends!
        >
        > Chetan

        Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design
        software
        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor  ADVERTISEMENT

        Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com
        and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

        Terms of Service.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Nimesh Desai
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2003
          Dear friend,

          Why should one fast?
          The idea of fasting is not to starve oneself. All the
          smakit souls would meditate purely and would be so
          lost in it that they never felt like eating.mahivara
          fasted for months not that he was counting days but he
          was lost in his shukla dhyan that he never felt like
          eating.
          Beside fasting is the control ones indriyas(senses).
          We can leave without any comforts but not without
          food. Once we start controlling our hunger we can tame
          most of our desires.
          Fasting remains tough for first 1-2 days as our body
          is not used to it. Its just for half an hr or hr one
          feels hungry during a fast and once that time is gone
          you wont feel like eating , few people suffer from
          headaches but then its habbit as you keep doing it
          things will be getting better.
          Sure for a month of fasting its not normal to any
          soul. Those souls have those type of complimentary
          karmas which makes them do it. Its the backlog of what
          they have done it in past lives and how tamed once
          indriyas are.
          Vasudev like krishna who had such strong body could
          not even do one day fast. since the ripening of those
          uncomplimentary karmas would never let him do.

          Controlling hunger or any desires for any duration of
          time with maturity and with jainism point of view ,
          can do nirjara( removal of karmas) which one cannot do
          even by donating mountains of gold.

          Jai Jinendra
          Nimesh

          --- parag jain <an_nicefriend82@...> wrote:
          > hi to all my friend
          > hey friend i wanna to take attention of all my
          > friend hey friends i wanna to ask one thinge how it
          > is good to make stervation contineously 31days i am
          > asking about maskhaman in that person not take
          > anythinge except boiled water for 31 days friends
          > just tell me is it right in the view of science ? is
          > it fair ? hey all the protins and calsium comes to
          > an end in this 31days and i think no blood is
          > produce only with the help of water
          > so just tell me and reply me
          > wheather it is right ? wheather marasaheb force
          > to any one to do such long stervation ?
          > bye friends
          > see you
          > reply to it i think its a really important matter
          > for thinking
          >

          > natty dapper <nattydapper@...> wrote:
          > hey rajesh
          >
          > it was great that you got a chance to feed
          > acharyashree shree vidyasagar ji maharaj on the very
          > first day, but what i didn't understand was why were
          > you prefered then those who were waiting since 2-3
          > months. i feel because of our special requests those
          > people who are supposed to wait for one month are
          > made
          > to wait for 2 months. i don't want to offend you, i
          > even don't know how important it is to feed
          > acharyashree, people call me atheist so i hardly get
          > chance to wipe off my sins but i am certain that
          > there
          > are certain things in life that we ignore, just felt
          > this was one of it.
          >
          > later natty

        • Ashish Jain
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 3, 2003
            Hi Friends,

            As far as long Upvaas is concern i would like to put
            my views as follows:

            In Jainism there is a theory of KARMA Sidhant and it
            is very clear that if one want to do the
            NIRJARA(Destroy) of its KARMA then they have to do the
            Long TAPASYA.

            In our granth it is clearly mentioned that there are
            12 types of TAP, out of that there are 6
            Bahirang(Outside) and 6 Antarang(Internal) Tap. These
            Long upvas(Starvation) is one of the Bahirang Tap
            called as Kayaklesha.

            Our Theerthankars also did long TAP and then only they
            were able to complete all there karma and become
            Arhihant then Siddha.

            As far as bdy is concern, in jainism we are having
            concepts of Pudgal and Jeeva. Pudgal is nothing but
            always destroyable matter, but the Jeeva is our Aatma,
            and because of Tap one can purify its Aatma by way of
            removing all Karmas. And our JAIN Sadhus are believing
            in one thing that Jeev and Pudgals are two different
            things and we should concentrate to free our Soul,
            Jeev, Aatma and need not worry about this Body which
            is Pudgal.

            As far as Imposition of Tap(Upvaas, long starvation)
            is concern it is not possible and it can not happen,
            this is the internal energy of the person who is doing
            all these things.

            So my friend if you think that our Sadhus are imposing
            such thing to any one, then please change your
            thinking it is just not possible. This is Internal
            energy which is coming out in the person and then he
            is doing such long Upvaas( Long starvation)

            I hope you must have got you answer.

            Ashish Gangwal

            --- parag jain <an_nicefriend82@...> wrote:
            > hi to all my friend
            > hey friend i wanna to take attention of all my
            > friend hey friends i wanna to ask one thinge how it
            > is good to make stervation contineously 31days i am
            > asking about maskhaman in that person not take
            > anythinge except boiled water for 31 days friends
            > just tell me is it right in the view of science ? is
            > it fair ? hey all the protins and calsium comes to
            > an end in this 31days and i think no blood is
            > produce only with the help of water
            > so just tell me and reply me
            > wheather it is right ? wheather marasaheb force
            > to any one to do such long stervation ?
            > bye friends
            > see you
            > reply to it i think its a really important matter
            > for thinking

          • Sreepalan VC
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3, 2003
              Samyak Darshan

              Dear shri. Parag jain,

              Let soul secure samyakthva.

              Sub: Upavaas

              Ref: Submission dated 02nd Sep. �03

              Reply:

              You are carrying a doubt as to the efficacy of the upavas and further assuming that as fasting / starvation would eventually lead to lose of essential proteins and amino acids leading to decadence of health.

              Is that right?

              Upavas means upa = near (sameep), vas = staying (rehnaa).

              During the days one is observing upavas, one has to necessarily to stay close to one�s soul.

              In other words one has to direct one�s thought activity towards one�s own qualities and even if it goes astray bring it back to on oneself. Therefore it amounts to staying away from all the mundane activities such as going to business house, working place, meeting friends, chatting with house members, including eating excepting the calls of nature. During that time one has to go to Jinanalaya  for reading sacred scriptures, pondering on principles of Jain dharma, chanting namokaara maha mantra, thinking of self - soul, and the like only and if Jinanalaya is not nearby alternatively a closed room in the house. So the thought and act of eating getting itself away from the routine of the upavas day / s. Is that clear?

              Now that the meaning and observance of upavas is explained let us attempt to know the effect of such an act on the individual who observes upavas.

              Since one / soul is capable of only upayoga - thinking, knowing, seeing, etc., and not doing (from the nischaya point of view) one�s thought activity is on the qualities of self - soul, on the qualities of vitaraag Baghavaan and the true principles of Jina Dharma, it tantamounts yoga and therefore inflow of karmic particles and primarily they are punnya karmas. Secondly, the intensity of the flowering paap karmas will be less and thirdly, there may not be inflow of any paap karmas.

              Upavas is a penance (thapasya) and is observed by free will of the aspirant and not forced /compelled / ordered and if done on someone�s order the real effect of this penance will be absent and on the other hand contrary effects will be there. It is a clearing ground for the ultimate goal of Moksha.

              Briefly the subject is treated and if any doubt please come up.

              Now for the participants,

              �KNOW THYSELF AND BE THYSELF� is by KEVALIN, for KEVALIN and of KEVALIN.

              Truth is of KEVALIN and rests are mine.

              Yours brotherly,

              sreepalan

              wrote:

              > Hi Friends!
              >
              > Jai Jinendra!
              >
              > I am really feeling great, being a Jain, being a
              > member of Jainfriends.
              >
              > Anyways, I am Chetankumar Jain, Age 25,  friends
              > call me chitts, i have done my enggineering from
              > Nagpur Univ.,
              >
              > Rightnow I run my own business in IT enabled
              > services(Hardware & BPO consultancy)
              >
              > I love making friends and if they are jains then its
              > wonderful.
              >
              > Regards to all my Jain Friends!
              >
              > Chetan

              Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design
              software
              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor  ADVERTISEMENT

              Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com
              and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

              Terms of Service.

              Do you Yahoo!?

              Visit our sites at: http://jainfriends.faithweb.com and http://rightfaith.tripod.com

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Vishal Shah
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4, 2003
                Dear Parag,

                Normally, person is involved in Purusharth(to attain
                Samyak Darshan or further steps), at that time he has
                not time to think about food. Or person feels 'feeling
                of hunger' as a hurdle in his/her 'Sadhana'. At that
                time automatically he/she avoids food. And
                Automatically Upvaas(fast) occurs.
                'Upvas kiya nahi jata, ho jata he'.

                But now days, people are doing fasts to get attention.
                After doing/starting fast, they waste their time on
                meeting diffrent people(who comes to ask 'Shaata').
                People waste their time in spreading 'Chandan' on
                forehead, some watching movies too. And at the end of
                this fasts, chief family member has to do celebration.
                This celebration costs money. So, if person is rich
                then only such fasts can be affordable. Recenlty I
                read in gujarati online daily(www.akilaindia.com), one
                girl commited suicide in Mumbai, because her dad
                forced her to stop ongoing fast, because her dad had
                not that money to arrange celebration after fasts.

                Reason to do fast is to save some time and invest in
                'religious activity'. Fast should be silent activity.
                But people gives advt. in news paper. And i dont think
                fast can help. In 'Narak Gati', people do fasts for
                all of their life. Fast should not let keep your mind
                in worst situation.

                MaharajSaheb or anybody should not force someone for
                fasts.

                if fast is not properly, then 'Darshan Moh' will be
                increased. Which is the biggest hurdle to attain
                'Samkit'.

                Well, In Jain history, Rishabh Dev tirthankar did 1
                year long fast(without water). 6 month by his wish,
                and then when he came to city for 'Ahaar'(food).
                'Vidhipurvak Ahar' was not available. So he did fast
                for 6 more months. Sadhu/Monks takes minimum food only
                for survival.

                Meaning of Upvaas, Up = Atma/soul. Vaas = stay. To
                stay near to your soul.

                Well, I might have written some negative points. But 1
                thing is sure, if fast is not properly, then it
                increase 'Darshan moh' for sure.

                Michchami Dukkadam.

                Vishal.

                --- parag jain <an_nicefriend82@...> wrote:
                > hi to all my friend
                > hey friend i wanna to take attention of all my
                > friend hey friends i wanna to ask one thinge how it
                > is good to make stervation contineously 31days i am
                > asking about maskhaman in that person not take
                > anythinge except boiled water for 31 days friends
                > just tell me is it right in the view of science ? is
                > it fair ? hey all the protins and calsium comes to
                > an end in this 31days and i think no blood is
                > produce only with the help of water
                > so just tell me and reply me
                > wheather it is right ? wheather marasaheb force
                > to any one to do such long stervation ?
                > bye friends
                > see you
                > reply to it i think its a really important matter
                > for thinking

              • parag jain
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 5, 2003
                  hi nimish
                  u r knowledge is gr8 and i really happy with ur reply but dear u r talking about the things which r happend centurirs ago not now i think today doing maskhaman iis really tuff job and risky too
                  hey for ur kind of info u know in malegaon the town in maharashtra 2 death r taken place ....in nashik from same sate 1 death taken place whats going on their childs who r just kid now ?
                  and hey dont tell like that ki unke maut aayi thi so woh chale gaye because if you sleep toward rail then its really risky because there is 99% chance of death and 1 for ur living so if any one dont die from that then its doesnt mean other must follow them
                  bye see you
                  take care

                  m> wrote:
[...]

                • mikaindia
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 5, 2003
                    starve the body to feed the soul

                    starve the soul to feed the body

                    --- Sreepalan VC <sreepal5058@...> wrote:
                    > Samyak Darshan
                    > Dear shri. Parag jain,
                    >
                    > Let soul secure samyakthva.
                    >
                    > Sub: Upavaas
                    >
                    > Ref: Submission dated 02nd Sep. �03
                    >
                    > Reply:
                    >
                    > You are carrying a doubt as to the efficacy of the
                    > upavas and further assuming that as fasting /
                    > starvation would eventually lead to lose of
                    > essential proteins and amino acids leading to
                    > decadence of health.
                    >
                    > Is that right?
                    >
                    > Upavas means upa = near (sameep), vas = staying
                    > (rehnaa).
                    >
                    > During the days one is observing upavas, one has to
                    > necessarily to stay close to one�s soul.
                    >
                    > In other words one has to direct one�s thought
                    > activity towards one�s own qualities and even if it
                    > goes astray bring it back to on oneself. Therefore
                    > it amounts to staying away from all the mundane
                    > activities such as going to business house, working
                    > place, meeting friends, chatting with house members,
                    > including eating excepting the calls of nature.
                    > During that time one has to go to Jinanalaya for
                    > reading sacred scriptures, pondering on principles
                    > of Jain dharma, chanting namokaara maha mantra,
                    > thinking of self - soul, and the like only and if
                    > Jinanalaya is not nearby alternatively a closed room
                    > in the house. So the thought and act of eating
                    > getting itself away from the routine of the upavas
                    > day / s. Is that clear?
                    >
                    > Now that the meaning and observance of upavas is
                    > explained let us attempt to know the effect of such
                    > an act on the individual who observes upavas.
                    >
                    > Since one / soul is capable of only upayoga -
                    > thinking, knowing, seeing, etc., and not doing (from
                    > the nischaya point of view) one�s thought activity
                    > is on the qualities of self - soul, on the qualities
                    > of vitaraag Baghavaan and the true principles of
                    > Jina Dharma, it tantamounts yoga and therefore
                    > inflow of karmic particles and primarily they are
                    > punnya karmas. Secondly, the intensity of the
                    > flowering paap karmas will be less and thirdly,
                    > there may not be inflow of any paap karmas.
                    >
                    > Upavas is a penance (thapasya) and is observed by
                    > free will of the aspirant and not forced /compelled
                    > / ordered and if done on someone�s order the real
                    > effect of this penance will be absent and on the
                    > other hand contrary effects will be there. It is a
                    > clearing ground for the ultimate goal of Moksha.
                    >
                    > Briefly the subject is treated and if any doubt
                    > please come up.
                    >
                    > Now for the participants,
                    >
                    > �KNOW THYSELF AND BE THYSELF� is by KEVALIN, for
                    > KEVALIN and of KEVALIN.
                    >
                    > Truth is of KEVALIN and rests are mine.
                    >
                    > Yours brotherly,
                    >
                    > sreepalan

                  • Naresh Shah
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 6, 2003
                      Dear Friends:

                      Jai Jinendra. Upvas is voluntary. In addition, control of desires (mental tapsya)- APARIGRAHA- is more important.

                      Regards,

                      Naresh

                      > You are carrying a doubt as to the efficacy of the
                      > upavas and further assuming that as fasting /
                      > starvation would eventually lead to lose of
                      > essential proteins and amino acids leading to
                      > decadence of health.
                      >
                      > Is that right?
                      >
                      > Upavas means upa = near (sameep), vas = staying
                      > (rehnaa).
                      >
                      > During the days one is observing upavas, one has to
                      > necessarily to stay close to ones soul.
                      >
                      > In other words one has to direct ones thought
                      > activity towards ones own qualities and even if it
                      > goes astray bring it back to on oneself. Therefore
                      > it amounts to staying away from all the mundane
                      > activities such as going to business house, working
                      > place, meeting friends, chatting with house members,
                      > including eating excepting the calls of nature.
                      > During that time one has to go to Jinanalaya  for
                      > reading sacred scriptures, pondering on principles
                      > of Jain dharma, chanting namokaara maha mantra,
                      > thinking of self - soul, and the like only and if
                      > Jinanalaya is not nearby alternatively a closed room
                      > in the house. So the thought and act of eating
                      > getting itself away from the routine of the upavas
                      > day / s. Is that clear?
                      >
                      > Now that the meaning and observance of upavas is
                      > explained let us attempt to know the effect of such
                      > an act on the individual who observes upavas.
                      >
                      > Since one / soul is capable of only upayoga -
                      > thinking, knowing, seeing, etc., and not doing (from
                      > the nischaya point of view) ones thought activity
                      > is on the qualities of self - soul, on the qualities
                      > of vitaraag Baghavaan and the true principles of
                      > Jina Dharma, it tantamounts yoga and therefore
                      > inflow of karmic particles and primarily they are
                      > punnya karmas. Secondly, the intensity of the
                      > flowering paap karmas will be less and thirdly,
                      > there may not be inflow of any paap karmas.
                      >
                      > Upavas is a penance (thapasya) and is observed by
                      > free will of the aspirant and not forced /compelled
                      > / ordered and if done on someones order the real
                      > effect of this penance will be absent and on the
                      > other hand contrary effects will be there. It is a
                      > clearing ground for the ultimate goal of Moksha.
                      >
                      > Briefly the subject is treated and if any doubt
                      > please come up.
                      >
                      > Now for the participants,
                      >
                      > KNOW THYSELF AND BE THYSELF is by KEVALIN, for
                      > KEVALIN and of KEVALIN.
                      >
                      > Truth is of KEVALIN and rests are mine.
                      >
                      > Yours brotherly,
                      >
                      > sreepalan

                      ReplayTV: CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
                      Instant Replay & Pause live TV.
                      Special Sale: 50% off!
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/G93ZAD/.5qGAA/ySSFAA/_sTslB/TM

                    • Niraj Shah
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 6, 2003
                        Jai Jinendra.

                        While doing any tap, what is more important is goal. We do tap to move our self closer to soul that is Anahari (does not take any food). While doing this, what should not be missed is Samadhi (mental peace). If you feel any kind of uneasiness doing tap, better stop doing it. Tap is to improve Samadhi, not wrosen. I would rather prefer stop doing maskshaman on 29th upvas than completing it by injection. You may find people who doesn't understand this whole motive of tap, but it does not mean Tap is not good any more.

                        hope it helps,
                        Niraj

                        m> wrote:
[...]

                      • MUKESH CHOPRA JAIN
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 8, 2003
                          Jai jinendra....

                          Sadarmi Bandhu Jan,
                          Would like to add somethign here ...Upvaas is derived from Sanskrit ,which means .."Vasanao ke upar kabu pana "(getting control over the desires)...

                          Mukesh.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 9, 2003
                              Jai Jinendra all,
                              maulin has asked for AAGAMS......
                              as such i dont know much bout AAGAMS but know some
                              useful links which can help u to know what are aagams.

                              u can follow the following link for the same...

                              http://www.jainworld.com/literature/agam.htm

                              there are some more nice links which u can find thru
                              my web page. http://chemeng.iisc.ernet.in/jainparesh/

                              just click on jainism on this page.

                              Regards
                              Paresh Jain

                              --- maulin shah <maudear@...> wrote:
                              > jai jinendra friends,
                              > does anyone has knowledge about Aagams ???
                              > i m interested in it.
                              > maulin
                              >
                              > MUKESH CHOPRA JAIN <mkchopra9999@...> wrote:
                              > Jai jinendra....
                              >
                              > Sadarmi Bandhu Jan,
                              > Would like to add somethign here ...Upvaas is
                              > derived from Sanskrit ,which means .."Vasanao ke
                              > upar kabu pana "(getting control over the
                              > desires)...
                              >
                              > Mukesh.
                              >
                              > Naresh Shah <Naresh-IndiraShah@...> wrote:
                              > Dear Friends:
                              >
                              > Jai Jinendra. Upvas is voluntary. In addition,
                              > control of desires (mental tapsya)- APARIGRAHA- is
                              > more important.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              >
                              > Naresh

                              =====
                              Paresh Jain
                              Dept.of Chemical Engg.
                              Indian Institute of Science
                              Bangalore-560012, INDIA.
                              Mobile : +91-9845420100
                              Lab Ph : +91-80-2932335

                              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                            • Vishal Shah
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 10, 2003
                                Try this link.
                                So many 'Jain Texts' in .pdf form. For Beginners too.

                                http://www.atmadharma.com/JAINHOME.html#materialHere

                                Vishal.

                                --- maulin shah <maudear@...> wrote:
                                > jai jinendra friends,
                                > does anyone has knowledge about Aagams ???
                                > i m interested in it.
                                > maulin

                              • Sreepalan VC
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 14, 2003
                                  Samyak darshan
                                  Dear brother,
                                  Let soul secure samyakthva.
                                  Your renditioin is rhythamic and peripheral and wish that you go deep into the subject, if you are not mistaken.
                                  "Know thyself and be thyself"
                                  Truth is KEVALIN'S  and rests are mine.
                                  Yours brotherly,
                                  sreepalan

                                  --- Sreepalan VC wrote:
                                  > Samyak Darshan
                                  > Dear shri. Parag jain,
                                  >
                                  > Let soul secure samyakthva.
                                  >
                                  > Sub: Upavaas
                                  >
                                  > Ref: Submission dated 02nd Sep. �03
                                  >
                                  > Reply:
                                  >
                                  > You are carrying a doubt as to the efficacy of the
                                  > upavas and further assuming that as fasting /
                                  > starvation would eventually lead to lose of
                                  > essential proteins and amino acids leading to
                                  > decadence of health.
                                  >
                                  > Is that right?
                                  >
                                  > Upavas means upa = near (sameep), vas = staying
                                  > (rehnaa).
                                  >
                                  > During the days one is observing upavas, one has to
                                  > necessarily to stay close to one�s soul.
                                  >
                                  > In other words one has to direct one�s thought
                                  > activity towards one�s own qualities and even if it
                                  > goes astray bring it back to on oneself. Therefore
                                  > it amounts to staying away from all the mundane
                                  > activities such as going to business house, working
                                  > place, meeting friends, chatting with house members,
                                  > including eating excepting the calls of nature.
                                  > During that time one has to go to Jinanalaya for
                                  > reading sacred scriptures, pondering on principles
                                  > of Jain dharma, chanting namokaara maha mantra,
                                  > thinking of self - soul, and the like only and if
                                  > Jinanalaya is not nearby alternatively a closed room
                                  > in the house. So the thought and act of eating
                                  > getting itself away from the routine of the upavas
                                  > day / s. Is that clear?
                                  >
                                  > Now that the meaning and observance of upavas is
                                  > explained let us attempt to know the effect of such
                                  > an act on the individual who observes upavas.
                                  >
                                  > Since one / soul is capable of only upayoga -
                                  > thinking, knowing, seeing, etc., and not doing (from
                                  > the nischaya point of view) one�s thought activity
                                  > is on the qualities of self - soul, on the qualities
                                  > of vitaraag Baghavaan and the true principles of
                                  > Jina Dharma, it tantamounts yoga and therefore
                                  > inflow of karmic particles and primarily they are
                                  > punnya karmas. Secondly, the intensity of the
                                  > flowering paap karmas will be less and thirdly,
                                  > there may not be inflow of any paap karmas.
                                  >
                                  > Upavas is a penance (thapasya) and is observed by
                                  > free will of the aspirant and not forced /compelled
                                  > / ordered and if done on someone�s order the real
                                  > effect of this penance will be absent and on the
                                  > other hand contrary effects will be there. It is a
                                  > clearing ground for the ultimate goal of Moksha.
                                  >
                                  > Briefly the subject is treated and if any doubt
                                  > please come up.
                                  >
                                  > Now for the participants,
                                  >
                                  > �KNOW THYSELF AND BE THYSELF� is by KEVALIN, for
                                  > KEVALIN and of KEVALIN.
                                  >
                                  > Truth is of KEVALIN and rests are mine.
                                  >
                                  > Yours brotherly,
                                  >
                                  > sreepalan

                                  ReplayTV: CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
                                  Instant Replay & Pause live TV.
                                  Special Sale: 50% off!
                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/G93ZAD/.5qGAA/ySSFAA/_sTslB/TM

                                  Do you Yahoo!?

                                • upshrenik jain
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                                    Dear friends,
                                    Jaijinendra
                                    I want to know "Lungh Concept" , who is the founder
                                    of this concept and what are main principals of that.

                                    Upshrenik Jain