FWD: MARWARIS MAY HAVE THEIR ORIGIN IN MARWAR COMMUNITY OF TAMILNADU!!!!

  • jain_pals@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2001
      What do you think about this?

      Some time back, I had remarked that I want to raise a nagging
      question of origins of Marwadi community of marwar Rajasthan.
      Like the Vanias of Gujarat, who according to my belief have their
      roots in Dravid land, There is another community in Rajasthan Who are
      Marwaris , have their roots in MARWAR community of Tamilnadu.
      When Jainism was at its peak, two communities who converted to
      Jainism were Vanniars and Marwars.They migrated to Gujarat and
      Rajasthan.
      Vanniars were essentially a sea farers and traders, so were the
      Marwars.
      But both would not see eye to eye in Compitition.More over marwars
      were also having differences of Sthankvasi and Murti pujaks in
      ancient times.
      I know that there is a firm belief that the word Marwari comes from
      Marwad.But word Marwad itself comes from Marwars of Tamil nadu.
      I know that this posting may draw a lot of heated debate.But I am
      resolute in my belief.
      Hemant
    • chirag
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
        Hi,

        Can anyone share some info on chauhan families who may have converted
        to jainism, and then they may have moved to south rajasthan (bhinmal)
        and then to gujrat..?

        Chirag.