OLD MAHAVEER COIN

  • Sudhir Jain
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2001
      Dear Sadharmi Bandhu,
      Sadar Jai Jinendra.

      I had seen a news in some e-mail groups regarding coin issued by the East
      India Company on Bhagwan Mahaveer in the year 1839. I have also one such
      type of coin in my collection which was issued in the year 1616. Weight of
      this copper coin is 12 gm and it is of 32 mm diameter. Front side of this
      coin bears sitting pose of Bhagwan Mahaveer and his sign Lion with the words
      "BHAGWAN MAHAVEER" in Hindi. On the back side, "EAST INDIA COMPANY", Year of
      issue "1616" and value "HALF ANNA" is written in English and "DO PAISE" is
      written in Urdu. Image of this coin is attached herewith as attachment. I
      have discussed with some of my knowledgable persons regarding both these
      coins, one described by me of thr year 1616 and another previously described
      of the year 1839. They say that both these coins were not in circulation.
      They may be some token. Some such coins bearing images of Ram - Sita,
      Hanuman etc. also exist.
      Will anybody give expert opinion?
      With kind regards,
      -Sudhir Jain