A call for help

  • Jain Pathshala
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2011
    • 134 Bytes

    From: doshidilip@...
    To: jainpathshala@...
    Subject: A call for help
    Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 05:22:55 -0400

    Jai Jinendra

    Dear Sadharmik Brothers and Sisters:

    Please read following request from Ankit Shah, our younger generation, who has been doing a great community service for Indian community for past few years. He is trying to help and you can read his appeal.
    Please see if you can help, will be a great service from you on behalf of Jain Center of America,NY. Thanks.

    Jawahar A. Shetti
    Chairman
    Jain Center Of America

    Hi everyone,

    My name is Ankit Shah, and I'm Rajesh's son. I'm currently a junior at the University of Pennsylvania.

    I don't know all of you personally, but I do know all of you as friends of the Indian community and as exceedingly generous souls who have done much to better the society we live in today, both in New York, around the US, and around the world.

    Today, I'm emailing you to better the life of one friend of mine who has done more than his share to better the lives of thousands around him. His name is Amit Gupta. He's a Rajasthani that was raised in Connecticut, and he was recently diagnosed with acute leukemia. Many of you are doctors, and you know what that means. For those of you that don't, I'll keep it brief: Amit needs a bone marrow donor that matches his blood type exactly. If he cannot find one, he will die in a few months.

    Why should you help Amit? Amit is one of the most positive people I know. His energy is incredible, and in his ~30 years, he has changed lives by introducing impromptu coworking spaces with Jelly, inspired millions with Seth Godin (an extremely prominent figure in entrepreneurial circles) by creating ChangeThis, and made it apparent to thousands that photography is awesome with Photojojo. I'm not the only one trying to help him, as more than 10,000 people have showed their support on Twitter and in blog circles (the >7000 figure to the right is how many people have shared this on their blogs).

    Today, however, Amit's at Yale New Haven Hospital.

    This is a man that has inspired thousands upon thousands of lives, and right now, nature's testing our ability to make sure he stays with us. Now, he needs a bone marrow transplant.

    There's an issue though. There's not enough South Asians in the bone marrow pool, and we're the people that are most likely to be a match for Amit. Because we're not only South Asian, but we're Rajasthani.

    I'm not asking for money. I'm not asking for much time. I'm asking you to leverage the fact that you are Indian.

    This is what I need from you all. We need to get as many Indians as possible to swab their cheeks and add themselves to the worldwide bone marrow directory. This is EXTREMELY easy. All you need to do is enter your information to get a cheek swab kit. They mail it to you. You mail it back after a quick 2 minute process.

    That's all.

    If you're a match, you save an amazing man's life. Oh, and there are $30,000 waiting for you, as supporters of Amit are pledging this money to make sure Amit's life is saved. More info on that here and here.

    I'm available to answer any questions you have. If you want to send thoughts to Amit, you can email him at me@...; you can tell him I sent you.

    Please don't take this lightly, and email me if you have any questions at all.

    Thank you for your time.

    Thankfully yours,

    Ankit