1805Let us unite and raise voice.

  • Jain Pathshala
    Jan 15, 2013
      Dear All Sadharmic Brothers and Sisters,

      Jai Jinendra.

      Now is time to raise our united voice against violence. I request all Jains to positively act on recent violence.

      Respectfully,

      Dilip Doshi

      STATEMENT FROM JAINA

      STATEMENT FROM JAINA

      In last few months I learned that, here in North America almost every Jain temple has been vandalized one way or the other in last few years. I am sure local community leaders took appropriate action, but fell short of formally sharing information with others as a matter of precaution and education. In addition, Officials at Department of Homeland Security are interested in these types of stats to look for patterns. This will only get worse, we must take proactive peaceful approach.

      We have following action items ---
      We Jains around the globe must speak up as one United Voice and write to respective leaders and demand for strategic action plan (offer your help & resources).

      • Follow-up 2-3 weeks after to insure leaders are taking actions.
      • Enhance community relations, especially with other minority faith based groups.
      • Establish community outreach initiatives at local levels to engage with mainstream population.

      I invite your proactive advice and recommendation for JAINA EC, Board of Directors and Jain Leaders around the globe to consider.

      Sushil Jain

      JAINA President

      LATEST NEWS

      Truck Driver Who ‘Ran Over’ Two Jain Monks Arrested

      Ahmedabad/Vadodara, 1.10.2013:

      Bharuch police on Wednesday arrested the driver of the truck who allegedly ran over two Jain monks on National Highway 8 near Bharuch on January 1.

      "We have arrested one person identified as Ashwin Nayka. Based on his identity established by CCTV footage, we picked up Nayaka from Padra in Vadodara and arrested him later,” Bharuch District Superintendent of Police (DSP) Gautam Parmar told The Indian Express.

      The DSP said Nayaka is a resident of Kamrej taluka of Surat district and works with a brick kiln. "He was on his way to Vadodara when the accident took place. He has confessed that while attempting to overtake two vehicles from the wrong side, he could not see the monks due to fog and ran them over,” said Parmar.

      Read full article

      - The Indian EXPRESS, Journalism of Courage

      BACKGROUND

      Hassan (Karnataka), January 4, 2013:

      A protest march had been organised at Hassan on Friday, January 4, 2013 condemning the attack on Muni 108 Sri Prabhalsagarji Maharaj at Girnar. A silent march started at sharp 11.00 am from Dodda Basadi and passed through Mahavira circle, old bus stand and reached the district collectors office. In the end a memorandum was presented to the district collector condemning the act.

      Muni 108 Sri Sudeshsagarji Muni Maharaj & Sri H.S.Prakash the member of legislative assembly (MLA) from Hassan led the protest march. Sri M.Ajith Kumar the president of Hassan Digambar Jain Samaj and members of other Jain organisations participated actively in the protest march. Jains from neighboring villages - Kadadarahalli, Shravanabelagola, Channarayapattana and others also participated actively in the protest march. Close to 1000 members of the Jain community participated actively in the protest march...

      Read full article

      - Jain Heritage Centres News Service

      Sadhu assaults Jain monk on Mt Girnar

      Rajkot (Gujarat), Jan 3, 2013: A controversy over ownership of a religious site on Mount Girnar in Junagadh town saw a Hindu sadhu allegedly stabbing a Jain monk on Tuesday.

      Police sources said victim Prabalsagarji Maharaj of Udaipur in Rajasthan was taken to a private hospital for the treatment as he had received serious injuries on chest and abdomen. Accused Muktanand Giri was arrested by the police after a case was registered against him at Junagadh taluka police station.

      Sources said Giri stabbed Prabalsagarji with a knife when the latter arrived at Kamalkund. The stabbing followed a heated exchange of words between them...

      Read full article

      - News Courtesy: Times of India

      Protest at Hassan against Girnar incident

      Hassan (Karnataka), Jaunary 2, 2013: A protest march has been organised at Hassan on Friday, January 4, 2013 condemning theattack on Muni 108 Sri Prabhalsagarji Maharaj at Girnar. The president of the samaj, Sri M.Ajith Kumar, has called upon the people to participate actively in the protest march.

      A silent march will start at sharp 10.30 am from Dodda Basadi and pass through Mahavira circle, old bus stand and reach the district collectors office. In the end a memorandum will be presented to the district collector condemning the act.

      A meeting of the Digambar Jain samaj was convened today and the act was condemned by the members of samaj. - Pramod Jain & Jain Heritage Centres News Service

      Hosadurga (Chitradurga District, Karnataka), January 2, 2013: A protest march has been organized at Hosadurga the Taluk center in the central Karnataka district of Chitradurga on Friday, January 4, 2013 condemning the attack on Muni 108 Sri Prabhalsagarji Maharaj at Girnar. In the end a memorandum will be presented to the thasildar condemning the act.

      Earlier in the day today meetings were convened twice in the premises of Sri Suparshwanatha Swamy Digambar Jain temple condemning the attack on Digambar Jain Muni & people chanted Namokara Mantra in chorus praying for quicker recovery of Muni Sri. More than 100 members attended the meetings.

      - H.P.Sumathikumar & Jain Heritage Centres News Service

      Read full news article

      Truck runs over 2 Jain monks near Bharuch

      Bharuch (Gujarat), January 2, 2013: Wide spread protests have been reported following the mowing down of two Jain monks by a truck near Asuria village located nine kilometers from Bharuch on Tuesday. Stone pelting on the police and subsequent lathi charge took place during their Palkhi Yatra in Bharuch on Wednesday.

      More than 10,000 people from the Jain community across the state gathered in Bharuch to attend the cremation of the two monks. The route of the Palkhi Yatra of monks Shri Gyanshekhar Vijay Maharaj and Shri Hastigiri Maharaj Sahib was to begin at 9 am from Srimali Pole Jain Temple in Bharuch to the place where the accident had taken place. However, the route was changed following insistence by the police that was protested by the community leaders.

      The yatra reached Zadeshwar Chowkdi on the highway causing a massive traffic jam. Efforts were made by Inspector General of Police Shashikanth Trivedi, Superintendent of Police Gautam Parmar, MP Mansukh Vasava along with MLAs Dushyant Patel and Arunsinh Rana to maintain calm but they went in vain.

      Some miscreants started pelting stones on the police and the latter resorted to a lathi charge to disperse the crowd.

      The yatra eventually reached the spot of the accident late in the afternoon where the bodies of both the monks were cremated.

      Ajitbhai R Mehta of Jain Monk Vihar Group based in Surat said, "We demand a thorough investigation in the accidental deaths of the monks which we believe is premeditated. We condemn the attitude of the police. Instead of beating innocent people who came to attend the cremation of respected monks they need to investigate the killing of saints who spread the message of peace and harmony in the society." He said that more than 40 monks have been killed in road accidents in the last five years.

      Meanwhile, reports of protests by community members have also poured in from Vadodara, Navsari, Ankleshwar and other places.

      Read full news article

      - News Courtesy: Times of India

      For updates, be sure to follow JAINA on:

      - JainLink Committee

      Copyright © 2012 Jaina

      www.Jaina.org

      www.JAINA.org
      If you would like to stop receiving communications from Jaina.org, please click on this link and add your email to our opt out list. This will ensure that you will no longer receive emails from Jaina.org.

      Opt Out Link - https://jaina.site-ym.com/general/opt.asp