hi !

  • Pragya Jain
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 1998
      hi all/hi veerchand!

      i sure am glad to be finally back online, what with my computer down for
      several days now.

      and now for the answer to veerchand's question. well, you see, i really
      can't answer this question very fairly, as i only left india last year &
      also as i'm not a parent yet, and i think the ques. was more for parents
      outside india, but i'll try my best to answer it from my own viewpoint.

      we have brought some of our religious books & audio cassettes of jain
      religious songs (bhajans) with us here (to new jersey,usa) from india.
      we observe the 'daslakshan dharamparva' here & eat before sunset, as our
      religion would like us to, on those holy days. we can't eat before
      sunset daily here, as in autumn & winter, it's almost dark before 5pm!

      we have made a small temple in our kitchen & both my husband & i say a
      short prayer daily (at different times, though.) in new jersey, we have
      a jain temple - 'siddhachalan', but we haven't had the opportunity to
      visit it yet, as it's a bit far from where we live.
      there are many hindu temples in new jersey, though.

      hope this answered your ques. at least partly, veerchand. if you want to
      know something else, just ask.

      c'mon everyone! we really need to get our list rolling with our
      discussions. do write, everyone!

      waiting to hear from everyone,

      pragya.
      list-owner.

      From: "V. C. Jain" <vcjain@...>
      Subject: Jains outside India

      Hello everyone,
      I would like to start a topic on Jains outside India.
      What is it that keeps them in touch with Jainism? I mean
      there is lack of contact with maharaj-sahib (guru) and
      also no temples to go to. So how do the parents imbibe jain
      culture and thought into their kids? Living in the land of
      consumerist culture how do they stick to strict jain practises?
      In India it is relatively easier with maharaj-sahibs discourses and
      personal contact with them also with temples and the Indian culture
      in large.

      V. C. Bothra

      Pragya.

      Sig:

      Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test
      first, the lesson afterwards.

      ~~~ The world is my classroom! ~~~