Re: [JainList] Hindu Jain temple

  • Gunvant Shah
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2007

      Dear Prof. Devkumar,
      Jai Jinendra.

      Thank you, Prof. Dev for pointing out Hindu/Jain (combination) Temples in USA. Hope you enjoyed your recent trip to USA.

      Here are some of my thoughts about Joint Hindu/Jain Temples in
      USA.

      I am sure you probably know that almost all large cities in
      USA have Jain Temple that is not joint ventures with Hindu Temple. New Jersey even has a Thirth called Siddhachalam on 100 plus acres of land with a free standing Derasar. Today, New Jersey is building a new traditional Jain Temple imported from India which will look just like Temples in India. This Temple should be ready by 2009. LA is building a new Temple which will look like one in India. Some other cities like NY, three Temples in NJ, San Francisco, LA, and Chicago etc. do have Jain temples of our own which are not combined with Hindu/Sikh temples. Each one of these temples costs approximately 10+ Millions of Dollars which is practically impossible to raise in small cities by only 10 to 50 Jain families. Without the joint venture with Hindu Temples these Jains would probably had no temples at all. These joint ventures are not same as having a Jain Temple of our own but it is the next best thing to have than not to have Jain Temple at all. These joint ventures are working fine without (or minimal) problems.

      Let me point out some of the achievements resulted because of these small Jain Shanghs that could not afford to build Jain Temples without working jointly with Hindu Temples.

      JAINA was conceived 25 years ago by the great vision of Guruji Chitrabhanu and Guruji Sushil Kumarji because of these small and of course large Jain Shanghs in North America. Today, JAINA, a Federation of these Shanghs, is made up of 67+ (and growing) Jain Shanghs serving more than 100,000 Jains in
      USA and Canada. JAINA just had a huge 14th biannual Convention in New Jersey on July 5th to 7th which was attended by 5500+ Jains from all over the world (including lots of Jains from India) for four days. These conventions cost over Million dollars but it brings Jains to gather from all over the world under one roof for four days. It is money well spend/invested. JAINA Organization and these conventions would not have been possible without the formation of these small (and large) Jain Centers all over USA and Canada. Today we have organization like JAINA that includes Jain Milan (Jain Matrimonial Convention), YJA for Jain Youths, Jain Networking Forum (JNF), Next Generation Jains (NGJ) in NJ, etc with the force of thousands of Jain Minors to Youths to Senior Citizens working together just because of  these small and large Jain Shanghs. World Community Services (WCS), one of the 40+ JAINA Committees, collects Millions of dollars from donors in North America and helps Jains all over the world, especially in India. JAINA Education Committee spends hundreds of thousands of dollars to provide Jain books to the students of almost 100 Pathsalas all over North America. These are just two of the countless activities of JAINA. JAINA e-Library Project just released a DVD that covers collection of 600 e-books with 250,000 pages of Jain literature- Agamas, Shastras and Shrimad Rajchandra Vachanamrit.

      In short, all this is achieved in last 30 to 40 years in North America because of that number of small Sanghs who has Joint Jain Temples with Hindus/Sikhs. Today JAINA is working on "Next 25-Year Vision" which includes short and long term goals for Jains in North America.

      Micchami Dukkadam.

      Gunvant Shah
      North Brunswick, NJ

      732-246-4030

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2007
        Samyak Darshan

        Dear Dr. Shri. C Devakumar Jain,

        Let soul secure Samyakthva.

        Ask thou, thou shall be given; knock thou and thou
        shall be heard.
        ‘Know thyself and be thyself’ – Acharya Shri Kund Kund
        Dev.

        Sub: JainList] Hindu Jain temple
        Ref: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:33:25 +0100 (BST)

        Welcome back to India/Bharat.

        On the mail styled 'Hindu Jain temple' what could /
        would any one can expect other than what has been
        remorsefully expressed. In a far of country with
        little or no information on the vitraag Jina Dharma, a
        label is, perhaps, felt more than otherwise to satisfy
        the peace and amity hungry Jain community amidst the
        hum drum of multi race society atmosphere.

        Body oriented or based faiths are very widely
        prevalent and popular in west and it is a well known
        fact. And to expect soul oriented or based Dharma, it
        is opined, that it cannot but end indisappontment. To
        search for it at a time-5th kaal- when it is becoming
        rarer even in Bharat, it is believed, it will be more
        so in West.

        Even if one or a few Jain temples are noticed, they
        will be more ritual oriented devoid of spiritualism to
        denote a symbolic gesture to the interested or satisfy
        the embedded ego of any one and the Jain Population
        cannot be an exception.

        But, sure, there may be some concerted effort brewing
        from some corner of the continent. Soul's search will
        not be completely absent as the futile ritual oriented
        devoid of thirst for soul’s realization of its
        infinite bliss should and ought to end in difference
        of opinion and start to search for the true spiritual
        gain. Shri Bernard Shah, Shri Einstein and Shri Herman
        Jacobin do appear to nurture the breed of spiritualism
        in its true form.

        Seriously interested may prepare a blue pirint for
        training few dedicated and involved Jains there in
        India and to carry the message in letter and spirit to
        others there. To maintina the stream
        'swadhyaaya 'and schools for children would solve the
        problem of the future.

        Time alone will deliver goods.

        Attempt is made to present the best that is known and
        it is likely that it may be falling short of one’s
        expectation and information and it is earnest and
        sincere request to bring out the defects and
        insufficiency thereby help understanding better.

        Welcome for any further clarification

        Truth is of Kevalin and the rest are mine.

        Wishing you all the best for the early dawn of
        Samykathva.

        Now, it is, for the participants to come up.

        Yours brotherly,
        Sreepalan

        --- "Prof. C. Devakumar" <cdevakumar@...> wrote:

        > Hindu Jain Temple
        > Jai Jinendra
        > Before you read this message, please forgive me
        > for any factual errors. I have recently returned
        > after a two month stay from Pittsburgh, PA, USA. I
        > was looking forward to having darshan of a Jain
        > temple. When I visited this site
        > (http://www.hindujaintemple.org/) all my hopes
        > turned into despair. A google search under “Hindu
        > Jain temple” would give you 2460 entries possibly
        > all from North America. I am still hopeful, there
        > could be odd Jain temples over there in USA and my
        > next visit would be fruitful. This approach would
        > only aid in short-term gain of identity with the
        > majority Hindus but surely not the path of
        > salvation.
        > No wonder, YJI born under the inspiration of YJA
        > does not espouse the cause of Jain minorities’
        > issue. Where is the question of separate identity
        > from Hindu for Jains? We are all harping on the dawn
        > of samyaktva. This Hindu Jain temple is not going to
        > lead samyaktva for many births. I pray for our
        > spirited Jain bandhu residing in USA not to visit
        > such place of worship and instead pray at home. I
        > was very proud of JAINA and used to talk about it
        > everywhere. It appears, I need to do some prayaschit
        > for this advocacy.
        > Once again I seek your forgiveness for raising
        > this issue which I am afraid would stir up many.
        > Miccha mi dukkadam
        > Dev
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a
        > click away.

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
      • Prof. C. Devakumar
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2007
          Jai Jinendra
          Samyag darshan bhavatu. Truly said. I can't agree more. But there is always this desire to spread true dharma among born Jains. More so in India where we value NRIs and so their brand should not become the model back home.
          With regards
          Dev

          Sreepalan VC <sreepal5058@...> wrote: Samyak Darshan

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23, 2007
            Dear Shri Snehal Ji
            Sadar Jai Jinendra.
            Thank you very much for expressing what is right and rightly expressing. Both economics and social life must serve the cause of dharma. Here, as in many instances, dharma is bent to serve the other two purusharth. I still believe , it is better to forgo the worship of Tirthankar rather than this short-cut. Abstaining from mithyatva is as good as being in samyaktva.
            Your clarity in capturing the essence of my concern is par excellence. I was having now second thoughts as to whether it was worth my "shouting". There are many stalwarts in our groups who preferred to remain silent on this issue. No wonder there will be a few dharmiks in 5th ara.
            With rpofound regards
            Dev
            Snehal Shah <sneh777@...> wrote: Jai Jinendra,

            I do tend to agree with Shri Devakumar. Though
            Tirthankar Bhagwan is a Vitraag and he won't mind
            being seated with lower / "invented" Gods, it is wrong
            on our part to diminish the value of Tirthankar
            parmatma.

            Not being prejudiced towards any other God is not
            Samyaktva or anywhere closer to it. Please read the
            basics of samyaktva.

            Not to worship mithyatva Gods/Goddesses is not against
            Jainism. In fact, it is very much along with our Jain
            principles. Is any God from any other religion
            Vitraag? If yes, then definitely we should bow down to
            their vitraag quality. If not, then they do not
            deserve any namashkaar.

            So, to compare our Tirthankar Bhagwan with any other
            "God/Goddess" is itself degrading to our religion.
            This is not arrogance or pride, it is a fact. And
            people who do not believe this fact lacks in total
            confidence in Jainism. Histroy has shown that so many
            off-shoots from Jainism occured due to this kind of
            non-beliver attitude.

            Anyway, everybody is free to do whatever they want to.
            That won't change any facts. A Person with closed eyes
            denying the existence of day will not make night a
            reality.

            Yoounger generations do not understand the greatness
            of Jainism and they undermined its values. it is the
            duty of every elder to make them understand the
            correct Jain Way of Life. If not, then it is we who
            have failed and have misguided the coming generations.

            A Tirthankar in Jain temple or a Hindu temple does not
            matter unless we fail to realize the principles of
            Jainism and try to do things other religions are doing
            - meet, eat, pray for wordly things, socialize and
            think themselves to be very religious and if a member
            of some committee then be proud and brag about it in
            the whole society. If we tend to do the same things
            then samyaktva is as impossible for us as for anybody
            else.

            Jai Jinendra,

            Snehal Shah
          • Sughosh Bansal
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 24, 2007

              Prof Dev Kumar and all others

              Your mail has placed a finger on a very raw nerve.

              But why blame only the Jains, and that too living overseas.  Whether one likes it or not, we, the Jains, are also living in the same society and vastly influenced by whatever is happening around us.  A few months back, I raised a similar issue and got a rebuke from the forum.   In India , when we visit any Temple , or Dharmashala, we find a plaque – This room has been built by ___ in the memory of ___, or This Door was installed by ___ in the memory of ___.  Strictly in accordance to Religion scriptures, any donation which come with such Plaque installed defeats the purpose of donation but who cares.

              And I am sure that if any Temple decline to install such a Plaque, in almost no time, the flow of donation would stop.  Today anyone and everyone is more interested in getting himself known for his donation.  Last year the person who did the first Mastabhishek of Lord Bahubali was more proud of his name being known by the whole country for donating the maximuma amount of money rather that starting the Abhishek

              When we witnessed the Panch Kalyanak at Siddhachalam, one individual sponsored the Lunch for the whole community.  But surprisingly we overheard from so many people criticising the Lunch – the menu, the quality, and the organisation.  I was not at all surprised to see that Community Feeling was absolutely missing.  This is the part of today’s social life.

              As regards constructing any Jain Temple – big or small, anywhere in the world, I have the views that we should refrain such construction till such time that the community is able to ensure at least daily Prakshal of the Deity strictly in accordance to prescribed procedure.  If the community is not able to ensure this, we should not install the Deity or the foot prints.  By installing the idol and then not caring for daily ritual is more insult to the Tirthankar than not installing the Idol at all.

              In all the communities around us, I find that Sikhs and Muslims are the two communities which are religious to the core of their heart.  One can find even a richest Sikh doing a Kar Seva at a Gurudwara.  Are we teaching our children to be religious in the similar manner?  Alas No.  But then it is an altogether issue which we can debate and always agree to disagree.  The Central Theme of Jain Religion is that salvation can be attained only by your own Karmas and unfortunately we have taken this Central Theme to the heart and have declined to look towards Community, Community Welfare, so on and so forth.

              Thanks and Regards

              Sughosh Bansal

              Phone: + 91 11 4231 6180 (Home)

                         + 91 11 2528 3847 (Home)

                         + 91 98110 68157 (Mobile)

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25, 2007
                JAI JINENDRA
                very economical - the ideas of religion & social status
                this is what has conceived todays spirituality
                if we all had come in from India with a singular well learned Jain temperament , then there would not be this big a disaster

                Surely and kindly - please , the first step is to learn
                learn what is the teaching , the teachings of tirthankar shri mahavirswamiji
                if this learning becomes ever fulfilling , then the rationale to Give this teaching to a fellow friend & family becomes an obvious necessity

                learned we all try to become , attending every satsang & pravachan  yet the disaster strikes only when we want to reconcile with the fact that we are in a foreign land , willing to compromise with the standards which are provided to us

                to start with since being in a foreign land ,  there is no adequacy of easy availability of the jain foods, there are not enough number of fellow learned "jains"
                and not an adequate jain establishment (including an independant jain temple) in the easy reachability

                the priority to this all is was & will be learning , learning the teachings of the Jin bhagwant
                - if and only if  these teachings take hold , then no other Lord/God or magical/money power will ever vitiate or move  one's feelings - then only will one's mind never ever compromise with agreeing to accept another god/religion or teaching , then only will this foolish mind learn to remain outright jain and worship only the tirthankar jin

                without this true knowledgeability & direction , without a true Guru, the social world will always be filled with a hotch potch kicchaddi where jainism will be enveloped with hinduism/christianity/americanism/science

                then to foresee a jain temple without the blessings/directions  of a true Jain atma will always run into such disasters

                every moment of this human lifetime that we have, every moment of this life being born into a jain ideology that we have is so precious - if only these notions can run home to every jain - then only can this life have any chance of  getting the fruits

                I very much agree to what thoughts/feelings that Dr Dev from India has presented
                - To all fellow jains around the world - please learn to learn what is jainism all about - do not worry about any factors which  exist around you , where ever may you get situated
                - least of anything , use your time to learn about this jain teachings , do not waste time mingling into this ever illusioned world which is a run away vehicle which has no direction & has no brakes !!!

                least of all,  learn to build a jain society which will only build a jain temple where there is only the existence of & prevalence of the jain tirthankars, where the mind learns to practice only and truely only the jin path , and where the mind learns not to accept all religions & all gods are equal

                JAI TO KEVALI SHRI MAHAVIRSWAMIJI
                      JAI TO ALL TIRTHANKARS OF ALL THE TIMES
                            JAI TO JIN SHASHAN ,
                AND WHERE EVER MAY THE BLESSINGS OF THE KEVALI JIN PREVAIL

                      NILESHKUMAR  KOTHARI

                jinatma@...