words from Gandhi's autobiography.

  • Vegetarian Resource Center
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2000
      This week's theme: words from Gandhi's autobiography

      This week's AWAD picks a few words from his autobiography,
      translated from the original in Gujarati by Mahadev Desai.
      Visit your local library or click http://www.Mahatma.org.In
      to learn more about Mahatma, literally, great soul.
      -Anu Garg

      World Farm Animals Day, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi's Birthday
      Date: Monday, 2 October 2000 00:04:31 -0400
      :
      Subject: A.Word.A.Day--ahimsa
      :

      ahimsa (uh-HIM-sah) noun

      The principle of noninjury to living beings.

      [Sanskrit ahimsa : a-, not + himsa, injury (from himsati, he injures).]

      "As my conception of Ahimsa went on maturing, I became more vigilant
      about my thought and speech. The lines in the Anthem:
      Scatter her enemies
      And make them fall;
      Confound their policies,
      Frustrate their knavish tricks
      particularly jarred upon my sentiments of Ahimsa."
      M.K. Gandhi, The Story of My Experiments With Truth, 1927.

      Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was born October 2 in the year 1869.
      A man born some two centuries ago may appear irrelevant to our age,
      but in reality his life and message are still applicable to our lives today.
      As opposed to being a tale of great achievements, as most autobiographies
      are, his `Story of My Experiments With Truth' is a collection of personal
      introspections and experiences in his search for truth. "Let us not reduce
      the standards of truth even by a hair's breadth for judging erring mortals
      like myself," he writes in the introduction.

      In a world where success is measured by what kind of car one drives,
      how lavish a house one lives in, can we learn something from a man
      who got by with just a loincloth? (Talk about "frugality"!)

      Pronunciation:
      http://wordsmith.org/words/ahimsa.wav
      http://wordsmith.org/words/ahimsa.ram

      ===============================

      Date: Tuesday, 3 October 2000 00:04:30 -0400
      Subject: A.Word.A.Day--satyagraha

      Satyagraha (suh-TYAH-gruh-uh, sut-YAH-gru-ha) noun

      The policy of passive resistance inaugurated by Mohandas Gandhi in 1919
      as a method of gaining political and social reforms.

      [Sanskrit satyagrahah : satyam, truth (from sat-, sant-, existing, true) +
      agrahah, determination, insistence : a-, to + grahah, act of seizing, from
      grhnati, he seizes.]

      Events were so shaping themselves in Johannesburg as to make this
      self-purification on my part a preliminary as it were to Satyagraha."
      M.K. Gandhi, The Story of My Experiments With Truth, 1927.

      Pronunciation:
      http://wordsmith.org/words/satyagraha.wav
      http://wordsmith.org/words/satyagraha.ram

      What is to give light must endure burning. - Viktor Frankl,
      author, neurologist and psychiatrist, Holocaust survivor (1905-1997)
      Patience serves as a protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold.
      For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power
      to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with
      great wrongs, and they will then be powerless to vex your mind. -Leonardo da
      Vinci, painter, engineer, musician, and scientist (1452-1519)
      www.FARMUSA.org
      World Farm Animals Day, always celebrated on Gandhi's Birthday