Re: Gandhi

  • V C Bothra
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2004
      Hello Rick,
      The base on which Jain philosophy, guidelines for monks/jains, vegetarianism
      and teachings of Lord Mahaveer stands is non-violence.
      All the rituals, events and festivals are intended to increase the
      feeling of non-violence or "Ahimsa" . It is non-violence towards other beings
      that is the root of Jainism. And in other beings all the living beings of the
      universe are included. Non-violence as preached by Lord Mahaveer is
      unparalleled. It takes care of every living being. What is non-violence but
      not hurting or damaging someone?
      To cite an example of this : Jain munis (monks) must walk bare-foot all
      the time. This is so because walking with some foot-wear on is more likely to
      hurt a living organism such as an ant than by walking bare foot. It
      is also beneficial in another area i.e. accupressure. This is the nature of
      all Jain beliefs one angle is seen through the eyes of Soul and the other
      through that of the Body.
      The point is, in observance of non-violence everyone benefits.
      Love and care for every other living entity in the universe is the
      idea behind Non-violence / Ahimsa.

      V C

      Rick Giles <rickgiles@...> wrote:
      > From: Rick Giles <rickgiles@...>
      >

      > Is this the place to talk about nonviolence in action? Or maybe there's
      > another list I havn't found??
      >
      > Cool Enough, TTFN!!
      >
      > --
      > Study the present in the light of the past for the purposes of the future.

      > Are you hogging all the fun?
      > http://www.onelist.com
      > Friends tell friends about ONElist!

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      web - http://personal.vsnl.com/vcbothra
      email - vcbothra@...
      icq - 26874606

      Life is limited and desires are not,
      Enjoy Life by limiting them!
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    • Rick Giles

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13 2:39 AM
          Is this the place to talk about nonviolence in action? Or maybe there's
          another list I havn't found??

          Cool Enough, TTFN!!

          --
          Study the present in the light of the past for the purposes of the future.
        • Harsha (Dr. Harsh K. Luthar)
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 1999
            Rick Giles wrote:

            > From: Rick Giles <rickgiles@...>
            >
            > Is this the place to talk about nonviolence in action? Or maybe there's
            > another list I havn't found??
            >
            > Harsha: Yes. Another list is ACOWPAL@onelist.com devoted
            > exclusively to Ahimsa irrespective of religion and culture.
          • Rick Giles
            Message 5 of 9 , May 24, 1999
              It's simply incredible what V C Bothra wrote on 24-May-99:

              |>The base on which Jain philosophy, guidelines for
              |>and teachings of Lord Mahaveer stands is non-violence.

              Simple idea, good ones tend to be.

              |> It takes care of every living being. What is non-violence but
              |>not hurting or damaging someone?

              Well, I tend to define violence as requiring force and intention.
              That rules out accidental damage of another and it also rules
              out structural damage. So if you accidently shoot someones skull
              in half it isn't violent, and if you manipulate someones life
              by stressing them out or killing their family- you're still not
              being violent to them.
              In my terms.

              In your terms it seems very hard to get along. Even eating would
              be hard. If you only eat plants, that's not going to save you
              is it? Unless you don't count them as being 'someone'.

              |>hurt a living organism such as an ant than by walking bare foot. It

              I shall test this at once. I suspect that I'll kill ants just
              as well without my shoes but by next message I can tell you for
              sure.

              |>The point is, in observance of non-violence everyone benefits.

              I don't understand how that can always be true.

              |>Love and care for every other living entity in the universe is the
              |>idea behind Non-violence / Ahimsa.

              Okay. Why?
              Is there any reasoning behind this premise? Please admit it
              right away if this is simply something that was decided on because
              it "sounds right" or "feels right".

              |>Life is limited and desires are not,
              |>Enjoy Life by limiting them!

              Ha! Enjoyment comes from satisfaction, not from restricting your
              passion.

              Cool Enough, TTFN!
              --
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it. - Bert Lantz
            • Rick Giles
              Message 6 of 9 , May 24, 1999

              • lgregory@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25, 1999
                  It's simply incredible isn't Rick! So give it a chance and listen and
                  learn. - Art Gregory

                  lgregory@...
                • Rick Giles
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 26, 1999
                    It's simply incredible what Linda Gregory and family wrote on 26-May-99:

                    |>It's simply incredible isn't Rick! So give it a chance and listen and
                    |>learn. - Art Gregory

                    You bet, just as soon as someone says something!
                    Peace, man.
                    Cool Enough, TTFN!

                    --
                    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. -- Edward Abbey
                  • Rick Giles
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 23, 1999
                      It's simply incredible what Harsha (Dr. Harsh K. Luthar) wrote on 23-May-99:

                      |>> Is this the place to talk about nonviolence in action? Or maybe there's
                      |>> another list I havn't found??
                      |>>
                      |>> Harsha: Yes. Another list is ACOWPAL@onelist.com devoted
                      |>> exclusively to Ahimsa irrespective of religion and culture.

                      This list dosn't exist! I entered it into the onelist
                      search and nothing came up. Maybe there is another keyword,
                      or has this been deleted?
                      I should try 'ahimsa' probably.

                      Cool Enough, TTFN!

                      --
                      How come there's only one commerce commission?