Re: Welcome to jainlist

  • Swtcnsprcy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 6:26 AM
      Hi!
      I have recently become interested in Jainism. I had always been looking for
      a religion that preached unity of all creatures and respect for the earth and
      animals. I read the first chapter of a book on Jainism, and it seemed to
      echo all of my beliefs! I am so glad I discovered it. I am 17 and will be a
      Senior in high school. I was raised a Catholic, and I never felt that I fit
      in. I didn't believe most of the stuff they were preaching. I almost had to
      get confirmed, but I convinced my mom to let me drop out of confirmation
      class, since I would only be lying if I remained. I am so glad I did!
      Liz
    • Ramesh N. Rao
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2001
        Dear Friends,

        My name is Ramesh Rao, and I am originally from Karnataka. As a Madhwa
        brahmin from Karnataka, which is a state rich in its Jaina tradition, and
        from a caste/sect that, according to religious scholars/historians, has
        strong Jaina connections/influence, I was intrigued when I came across this
        list, and so wanted to participate in discussions relevant to Jainism and
        its influence/impact/history in Karnataka.

        With regards,

        Ramesh Rao
        Associate Professor, Communication
        Truman State University
        Kirksville, MO 63501

        At 03:38 AM 2/18/2001 -0000, you wrote:

        >Pranam and Jai Jinendra.
        >
        >The purpose of this list is to learn more about Jainism,
        >it's philosophy and way of life.
        >It is through discussions that we learn more, come across
        >different perspectives and our beliefs become clear and
        >profound.
        >
        >To start off, send a mail introducing yourself and about
        >your interest in Jainism. Send your posts to
        >jainlist@egroups.com
        >
        >Along with this mail you will recieve one more mail
        >containing a brief introduction to Jainism.
        >
        >Feel free to voice your opinion, doubts, queries, comments.
        >Looking forward to a mutually enriching dialogue ...
        >
        >Thanx,
        >

        >VeerChand Bothra
        >Arhtur Gregory
        >[List Moderators]

        ********************
        Ramesh N. Rao, Ph.D.
        (formerly Closepet Ramesh)
        Associate Professor, Communication
        Truman State University
        Kirksville, MO 63501, USA

        Email: LL88@...
        Phone: (660) 627-1006
        *********************
      • abhishek.jain@iflexsolutions.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2001
          Jai Jinendra,
          My name is Abhishek Jain. I found out about this list on
          www.jainnet.com
          I am interested in the theory of Jainism since my childhood and read

          some old text of it. I feel that Jainism is not only a religion or
          just social group but
          it has talked about the fundamental principals of Universe or nature
          which governs it.
          How it is created? Who are we? etc. Which are the very basic
          questions our present day
          science is trying to answer.
          Knowing these answer is very important since we are part of this
          Universe
          and thus by knowing it we are knowing our self only.
          Knowing our self is important because without this knowledge we will
          not be able to decide
          what is wrong or right or in other word how we will become happy and
          we can liberate our self from sorrow.
          I hope that these will be the forum where we can think and discuss
          over these very fundamental concepts,
          What Jainism says about it? Discuss the truth hidden in it and more
          important follow the right conduct.

          Thanks,
          Abhishek Jain

          Message 4 of 5 , May 17, 2002
            Sir,
            I am Paresh shah from mumbai,having my own business of computers.
            I do believe in the jain principles but not the way in which it is practised
            by majority-blindly.
            I strongly believe that Jainism is totally based on scietific principles and
            to propagate/see that our religion survives than we/our generation has to
            try and make the new generation understand the principles behind the jainism.
            bye
            paresh
          • Manish Jain
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2002
              Jai Jinendra,

              My name is Manish Jain and I am at present in Bangalore. I am born Jain
              and am proud of that. I love to read and get more depth of Jainism. I
              keep on surfing to read about Jainism. It give me a nice feeling that
              there is an existance of Jainlist group on Yahoo.

              I read the mail about brief introduction to Jainism and would love to
              read more such mails to refresh my knowledge.

              This is just a begining and will come up with more things.

              Thanks and Regards,
              Manish

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com