Re: [JainList]Root vegetables revisited!!!

  • Vijay Mehta
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2002
      Dear Sudhirbhai,

      Jai Jinendra

      In the article "At the Root of Root Vegetables" available web page http://www.anekant.org you have quoted a phrase from the book "Jain Darshan" by  Muni Shree NyayVijayji Maharaj Saheb which v.means - "According to Jain thinking, the level of 'himsa' is dependent not on the quantity of souls but on the level of consciousness of the killed soul."

      I have now got the book you have referred to. It is second edition published in the year 1986. I tried to locate the phrase but I could find it . Will you please help me and tell on which page or where it is said?

      I read the book and on page 86 it is said that:"Jain Achargranth has given indepth thought on Bhakshya and Abhkshaya(eatble and not eatable). Jain Shastras has probited eating root vegetables (kandmool)."

      How far your observation about level of consciousness of the killed soul is in confirmity with the observation of Muni Shrinyayvijayji Maharaj Saheb?

      Do I understand that you have choosen only those sentenses which suits your arguments?

      Awaiting your reply,

      Regards,

      Vijay Mehta