Re: [JainList] Re: Urgent Statue query

  • Bharat Mehta
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
      Dear Yashwant,
      Thanks for the mail. As requested for the wooden idol. As per the shashtra
      wooden statues are allowed and material of construction must be either teak
      wood or sandal wood. If you wish to go for one please mention the size and
      dimentions needed by you also the name of god preferably in Padmasana or
      Khadagasan. Comment.
      we will reply prompt.

      Regards and Jai Jinendra.
      Bharat Mehta.

      >From: "ymalaiya" <ymalaiya@...>
      >To: jainlist@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [JainList] Re: Urgent Statue query
      >Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:50:01 -0000
      >
      >I have not seen any idol in worship made of wood, however I have seen
      >wooden statues for display in homes made of wood.
      >
      >Any idol for actice worship should be made of robust materials, metal
      >or stone. Such an idol can be cleaned on a daily basis. For a grah-
      >chaityalaya (if it is permitted by tradition) metal idol is
      >preferred, because it will be safer for moving.
      >
      >However there are some accounts suggesting use of wooden idols in
      >past.
      >
      >- It is said that there was a wooden idol of Jivant Swamy,
      >representing Lord mahavira as a prince, crafted in his life time.
      >After many centuries of worship, it disappeared.
      >
      >- Some say the the northern Digambara order was called "Kashtha
      >sangh" becase they initially worshipped. However others say that the
      >order got its name because of a town named kashta-nagar somewhere
      >near Delhi.
      >
      >Yashwant
      >

      >--- In jainlist@y..., "Kamal Shah" <kamal@e...> wrote:
      > > I have seen many idols made of wood and do not think that wood is
      >not allowed to make statues.Because both marble and wood are
      >ekindriya jeevs so theoritically it should not be any different.But I
      >am not sure of this.
      >

      > > Dear, I group I am new to the list & am excited to be here.
      > >
      > > I have a query reagrding Jain Statues/idols...I wish to commision
      >an
      > > idol of mahaveer for my home, crafted out of wood. Is the use of
      >wood
      > > permitted for the creation of a Jain idol?

    • Bharat Mehta
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
        Dear Kamal,
        Wooden statues can be made and is valid as per shashtra. If you wish to go
        for one we can get it for u. Please reply and see our site
        www.arihantanam.org
        Regards
        Bharat Mehta