Re: Welcome to the jainlist group

  • Geoff Carpenter
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002

      Hello all,
      I have subscribed to the Jainlist to widen my knowledge of the subject: I am a Pureland Buddhist of 30 years; keen scholar of Alan Watts and  also I follow the sea change in European Christianity that is , in parts, moving away from its old way of thinking and closer to the Asian way of "Being".but I am also drawn to Jain thought- as I understand it- and most especially to the following:-
      eyam khu nanino saram
      jam na himsai kamcana
      ahimsa samayam ceva
      eyavamtam viyaniya

      The essence of all knowledge consists in not committing violence. The
      doctrine of Ahinsa is nothing but the observance of equality, i.e. the
      realization that just as I do not like misery, others also don't like
      it. Knowing this, one should not kill anybody.

      The above  was pasted from a mail sent by one of the Jainlist. Although I feel this should have included any hurt that increases the pain of a sentient not just killing.
      In gassho
      Geoff
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        Dharmapremi Geoff,
        Jai Jinendra

        It is understood that no sentient being should be harmed. It is against the
        teachings of Jainism to harm any living being by thought, word or deed.

        What you saw is just one aphorism. If you were to take an overall view, you
        would find that Bhagwan Mahavir taught us to not harm any creature through
        thought, word or deed; and to not ask others to harm any creature through
        thought, word or deed; and to not aid, abet or encourage harm to any creature
        through thought, word or deed.

        Bhagwan Mahavir was the champion of Ahinsa.

        Yours in Ahinsa,

        Manish Modi

        HINDI GRANTH KARYALAY
        Booksellers and Publishers
        http://www.hindibooks.8m.com
        Hirabaug, C. P. Tank, Mumbai 400004, INDIA
        Telephone: 00 91 22 3826739
        Email: manish.modi@...

        DILON KE RISHTE (Urdu Poetry) by Prem Dhawan Rs. 100.00
        Ghazals that celebrate the warmth of love with a zest for life.

        On Friday 01 March 2002 23:29, you wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > I have subscribed to the Jainlist to widen my knowledge of the subject: I
        > am a Pureland Buddhist of 30 years; keen scholar of Alan Watts and also I
        > follow the sea change in European Christianity that is , in parts, moving
        > away from its old way of thinking and closer to the Asian way of
        > "Being".but I am also drawn to Jain thought- as I understand it- and most
        > especially to the following:- eyam khu nanino saram
        > jam na himsai kamcana
        > ahimsa samayam ceva
        > eyavamtam viyaniya
        >
        > The essence of all knowledge consists in not committing violence. The
        > doctrine of Ahinsa is nothing but the observance of equality, i.e. the
        > realization that just as I do not like misery, others also don't like
        > it. Knowing this, one should not kill anybody.
        >
        > The above was pasted from a mail sent by one of the Jainlist. Although I
        > feel this should have included any hurt that increases the pain of a
        > sentient not just killing. In gassho
        > Geoff
      • Digambar Jain
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2002
          Dear Mr.VeerChand Bothra/Manish Modi/Hitesh Mehta,

          Jai Jinendra,

          Thanks for your mail. I would like to introduce my self as a youngster
          of Tamil Nadu (Tamil Speaking Digambar Jain), staying at chennai, who
          has interest to know more about our religion, its philosphy and beliefs.

          I would be free to pass and receive any interesting articles about
          our religion.

          I am still in the initial stages of knowing more about our religion and
          would be very much happy to receive articles from your end.

          Once again I would like to thank you to join me in the jainlist group.

          Thanks and regards

          Subash D
        • Kiran B R
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
            Dear Friends,

            Here is my introduction:

            My name is Kiran Rao and I presently live in The
            Netherlands. The first school I went to was Mahaveera
            School, Brindavan Extension, Mysore.

            I am not a Jaina by birth, nor do I consider myself
            (or anyone for that matter) as belonging to any
            religion by birth. According to me, one should crave
            for religion before one can be called as belonging to
            this religion or that.

            However, I am interested in all religions. It is my
            belief that all religions say the same thing and I am
            looking for proof. I went through some Jain texts on
            syAdvAda, which are very impressive. syAdvAda
            strengthens my belief that all religions are one and
            the same. I spare no efforts to knit together two
            seemingly opposing views.

            I want to learn about Jaina philosophy here and
            integrate it with the other philosophies. I believe
            this task will not be very difficult, especially with
            syAdvAda being the central theme of Jainism.

            Looking forward to interesting information and
            discussions,

            Yours truly
            Kiran Rao

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • R. K. Jain, CSP
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
              What is syAdvAda? Please explain.
              Thanks.
              R.K.Jain

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 7, 2002
                7th Nov 2002

                Dear Mr Kiran Rao,

                Jaijinendra.

                At 04:40 AM 06-11-02 -0800, you wrote:
                .
                >It is my belief that all religions say the same thing....
                >syAdvAda, which are very impressive

                Sorry my friend but all religions certainly do not say the same thing.

                Just take the example of syadvada - which you have referred in your email.

                Have you come across any other religion/faiths which profess this theory?

                Jaijinendra, thanks & regards

                R K Bengani

                Dubai
                +++
              • kiranbr.rm
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 2002
                  Dear Mr Bengani and Mr Jain,

                  Do other religions/faiths profess syAdvAda?

                  1. Maybe they do
                  2. Maybe they do not
                  3. Maybe they do and they do not
                  4. Maybe it is indescribable
                  5. Maybe they do and it is indescribable
                  6. Maybe they do not and it is indescribable
                  7. Maybe they do and they do not and it is indescribable

                  Sitting in their own pair of shoes, some exclaim "No, all religions
                  do not profess syAdvAda!". Sitting in my shoes, I exclaim "Yes, all
                  religions profess syAdvAda!". I could give you examples of syAdvAda
                  in the Vedas. They are not collected in one place, but see the
                  definition of the braHman itself, for instance:

                  - The braHman is described as "yatO vAchO nivarthanthE aprApya manasA
                  saH" or that from which words and the mind return after not being
                  able to obtain or reach it. That is, it is indescribable.

                  - At the same time, the world is described as "sarvam khalvidam
                  braHma" - meaning all "this" is definitely braHman. All what? The
                  entire universe.

                  - And at the same time, the braHman is defined as "nEti nEti", not
                  this, not this! Not what? The entire universe!

                  What is the above if it is not syAdvAda?

                  The beauty of Jainism, according to me, is the emphasis it lays on
                  syAdvAda and the elegant way in which it teaches it.

                  Yet again, in someone else's shoes, the beauty of Advaita or Dvaita
                  or Christianity or Islam may be the emphasis it lays on syAdvAda!

                  It is all relative to the observer. If you want to see difference,
                  difference is what you will see. If you want to see unity, unity is
                  what you will see. In a world where religious groups fight amongst
                  each other, which is better: seeing unity or difference? Harmony or
                  disharmony? One should decide carefully. Jainism helps in making this
                  decision.

                  -Kiran

                  --- In jainlist@y..., "R. K. Bengani" <oswal@e...> wrote:
                  > 7th Nov 2002
                  >
                  > Dear Mr Kiran Rao,
                  >
                  > Jaijinendra.
                  >
                  > At 04:40 AM 06-11-02 -0800, you wrote:
                  > .
                  > >It is my belief that all religions say the same thing....
                  > >syAdvAda, which are very impressive
                  >

                  > Sorry my friend but all religions certainly do not say the same
                  thing.

                  > Just take the example of syadvada - which you have referred in your
                  email.

                  > Have you come across any other religion/faiths which profess this
                  theory?

                  > Jaijinendra, thanks & regards
                  >
                  > R K Bengani
                  >
                  > Dubai
                  > +++
                • sreepal5058
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2002
                    Samyak Darshan

                    Dear brother,

                    Let soul secure samyakthva.

                    Sub: "Syaad vad"

                    Ref: Submission No. 3197 .Wed Nov 6, 2002 4:40 am

                    Interesting enough to hear from you about and more so of your
                    praising it.

                    First and foremost before applying the principle of "syaad vaad" one
                    has to know what it is about and how this has to be applied.

                    Meaning:
                    "Anekanth" is the structural nature of all the only 6 substances,
                    nothing more and nothing less, that constitutes this universe
                    and "syaad vaad" is the language, which explains it, to put it in
                    short.

                    "Anekanth" is the symbol of JINA DHARMA. It is an exclusive
                    principle expounded by JINENDRA BAGHAVAAN. It is not found in any
                    other religion or dharma and if found it might be in part.
                    Should there be any doubt?

                    "Anekanth" means anek = many (opposite of ek = one)+ anth = ends,
                    truths.

                    Substance by nature composed of many facets - truths - dharmas which
                    are opposed in character and exhibits ceaselessly but coexist
                    hormoneously and protect the substance from the beginning less time
                    and shall be so to endless time, viz., one and many, is and is not,
                    etc.

                    "syaad vaad" means syaad = in a way, may + vaad = expression

                    Words / languages of this world has no capacity to express all the
                    facets / truths of a substance in one word so "syaad vaad" comes to
                    the rescue and it is only by 7 ways and nothing beyond.
                    It is also called as "sapthabangi naya"

                    Application:
                    In the context of the quadruplets
                    viz., 'dhravya', 'kshetra', 'kaala' and 'bhaav', the existence point
                    of view of the substance, is its "isness" -"ashthi" and from the
                    existence of the other substances point of view it is "isnotness" -
                    "nasthi".

                    In other words if one soul can be found in it self, cannot be found
                    in another soul - dhravaya.
                    If it can be found in its place and cannot he found in another
                    place - kshetra,
                    If it can be found in its time and cannot be found in another time -
                    kaala, and
                    If it can be found in its one feeling and not be found in another
                    feeling - bhaav.

                    This explains the 'isness' - "asthi" and 'isnotness' - "nsasthi" of
                    the substance.

                    Take for example your statement:
                    " I am not a Jaina" but "I" is there or not?
                    Yes, how?
                    May be I am some one.
                    May be I am not a Jain
                    May be I am some one and not a Jain
                    May be I am indescribable (in one word by bringing in both the
                    aspects together)
                    May be I am some one and indescribable
                    May be I am not a Jain and indescibable
                    May be I am some one and not a Jain and indescribable

                    It cannot be applied in the existence and nature of the substance.
                    Say, soul - one of the constituents of the universe itself as a
                    substance and also its qualities - "gunas" and modifications -
                    "paryaayas". Soul may be there, may not be there, gynan gun in soul
                    may be there or may not be there, knowing may be there and may not
                    be there etc.

                    It is a very intricate principle and many thinkers have gone astray
                    and some thinkers went to the extent of calling this principle a
                    'madness'- 'prattle'

                    Well, every one is independent and has a right to think the way one
                    wants but whether one is in right path or not is for one to decide,
                    is it not?

                    Usefullness:

                    Since views emanate on anything from one's point of view the other
                    man's point of view on the same thing cannot be refuted as he also
                    drew the view from the same thing.

                    Say, a doctor is also a father, brother, husband, uncle, nephew,
                    friend, enemy, man, etc. While for one he is a doctor, he may also
                    be father, may not be father so on so forth and cannot he described
                    etc.

                    If one understands the structural nature of the substance, one will
                    necessarily avoid any conflict with any other one and also
                    accommodate other man's view.

                    The whole world would be the most beautiful and conducive place for
                    living and prosecuting ones goal / aim.

                    Now, it is for you to re-examine, if you accept the above mentioned,
                    your statements:
                    "nor do I consider belonging to any religion by birth."
                    "one should crave for religion before one can be called as belonging
                    to this religion or that."
                    "It is my belief that all religions say the same thing and I am
                    looking for proof."
                    "I spare no efforts to knit together two seemingly opposing views."

                    Attempt is made to present to explain briefly the two very important
                    principles of JAIN DHARMA.

                    That apart, from the above you may please now give your valued and
                    reasoned opinion that such a principle is seen / available in other
                    dharma and if so the details.
                    (could possibly be a reply to submissioin No.3201. R K Bengani: Have
                    you come across any other religion/faiths which profess this theory?)

                    Truth if any, it is KEVELIN'S and otherwise is mine.

                    Now for the participants,

                    Yours brotherly,
                    sreepalan

                  • Bhavana Banga
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 26, 2003
                      Pranam & Jai Jitendra,

                      Thanx for adding me to this esteemed group.
                      I am very much new to this group as well as new to this religion , and thus
                      I really wanted to learn a lot about this religion..but how couldnt
                      understand, and then i came through this yahoogroup. I hope that staying
                      with you all will be a great learning experience.
                      I really expect you all to guide me about my learning

                      Thanx & Regards
                      Bhavana Jain