Hello

  • jain anubhav
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
      Dear Friends,

      I am Anubhav i have recenlty listed myself to the
      group.I am working with a software company in
      marketing dept.I hope we will have lots of fun all
      together.
      Waiting for your reply.

      Bye
      Anubhav

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Andrew Warnick
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2006
        Hello...i'm andy, an american buddhist from clearwater, fl.  Very interested in Jain reliogion.

        Questions:

        1. Does the Jain religion accept converts as Buddhism glady does?
        2. Are there any skyclad Digambar monks living outside of India such as in North America?  If not, any plans to establish these monks in the US?
      • Ravikeerti
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
          Hello Andy,
          Good to hear about your interestes in Jainism. Now a days, being more liberal, Jains do accept conversion but only in terms of Individual basis and not mass conversion. Like in your case you are intersted in Jainism and willing to accept it. Even if you are practising ahima and pure veg diet, you are Jain to some extent.
          Now talking about Sky clad digamber jain monk. I am very well ware of any digamber jain monk abroad as they are not allowed to travel by any other mode of transportation but on their feet. That is the only reason why we don't find them abroad. I will try to forward your querry to some other jain groups as well and hope you will find some more information on the same.
          Regards,
          Ravi

          Yahoo! Mail
        • Sreepalan VC
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
            Samyak Darshan

            Dear Shri Andrew Warnick,

            Let soul secure Samyakthva.
            Knock thou, thou shall be heard, ask thou, thou shall
            be given.

            Sub: Questions on Jain Religion.

            Ref: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:36:37 -0800 (PST)

            Welcome to the discussion table and the answers to
            your questions are as under:

            Question:
            Does the Jain religion accept converts as Buddhism
            glady does?
            Answer:
            Yes. Not only from Buddha Dharma but also from any
            faith.

            Question:
            Are there any skyclad Digambar monks living outside of
            India such as in North America? If not, any plans to
            establish these monks in the US?

            Answer:
            No. Chances are very bleak. One to practice Jina
            Dharma as a householder, it may not be difficult in US

            Shortest is not the best but best is the shortest.
            Choice and understanding is one’s.

            If one is serious of one, know thyself and be thyself
            and it is the revelation of Jinendara Baghavan.

            Attempt is made to place the information and
            understanding is one’s. Walking stick cannot make a
            man walk but if man wants to walk; walking stick may
            help the man. This attempt is only a walking stick.

            Please forgive and forget for any unintentional
            excesses that might have crept in and hurt and it is
            only fraternal affinity that goaded to place.

            Truth is Kevalin and the rest mine.

            Wishing you and all the near and dears an early dawn
            of Samyakthva.

            Now for the valued participants,

            Yours brotherly,
            Sreepalan

            --- Andrew Warnick <snydersquare@...> wrote:

            > Hello...i'm andy, an american buddhist from
            > clearwater, fl. Very interested in Jain reliogion.
            >
            > Questions:
            >

            > Does the Jain religion accept converts as
            > Buddhism glady does?
            > Are there any skyclad Digambar monks living
            > outside of India such as in North America? If not,
            > any plans to establish these monks in the US?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • francione.gary
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 16, 2008
              Dear Everyone:

              Jia Jinendra.

              I am an American law professor and most of my scholarship has focused
              on animal ethics. I have been a vegan for 26 years based on my
              acceptance of the principle of Ahimsa. Although I have long identified
              with Jainism and the principles of Ahimsa, Anekanta, and Aparigraha, I
              am presently embarked on a more formal study of Jaina philosophy and I
              look forward to learning from this group.

              Gary L. Francione
              Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA
            • deepak bothra
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2008
                Dear Francione,

                 Welcome in the group.Some of my American friends are in the field of Jainology. One of them is Prof. Lawrence Allan Babb, Amherst College, Massachusetts University. You may contact him.
                Thanks,

                 http://hubpages.com/author/JYOTI+KOTHARI/hot/

                Jyoti kothari
              • Manish Yashodhar Modi
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 16, 2008
                  Dear Gary,
                  Jay Jinendra

                  Greetings from Mumbai!

                  Glad to know that you are keen on studying Jainism.

                  Some of the best people in America to study Jainism from, are as under:

                  Prof. Dr. Padmanabh S Jaini
                  University of Berkeley

                  Prof. Dr. Phyllis Granoff
                  Yale University

                  Prof. Dr. Duli Chandra Jan
                  City University, NY

                  Dr. John Cort
                  Denison University

                  Dr. Kristi Wiley
                  University of Berkeley

                  Dr. Robert J Del Bonta
                  San Francisco

                  Prof. Dr. Christopher Key Chapple
                  Loyola Marymount University

                  Mr Navindra Jain
                  Paulo Alto, CA

                  In case it is not possible to learn directly from a teacher, here is a
                  list of books I would recommend for your reading.

                  Rs. 395 The Jaina Path of Purification / Padmanabh Jaini
                  Rs. 395 Collected Papers on Jaina Studies / Padmanabh Jaini
                  Rs. 395 Jaina Studies: Their Present State and Future Tasks / Ludwig
                  Alsdorf
                  Rs. 795 The Story of Paesi / Willem Bollee
                  Rs. 40 Ratnakarandra Shravakacara / Acarya Samantabhadra
                  Rs. 120 Atthapahuda / Acarya Kundakunda
                  Rs. 120 Yogamrit: Yog Sahaj Jivan Vigyan / Mahavir Sainik
                  Rs. 60 Paramatmaprakasha / Acarya Joindu
                  Rs. 20 Ishtopadesha / Acarya Pujyapada
                  Rs. 700 The Life and Stories of the Jaina Saviour Parshvanatha /
                  Maurice Bloomfield
                  Rs. 300 Jainism: An Eternal Pilgrimage / Bal Patil
                  Rs. 60 Parshvacaritram: The Life of Parshva / Willem Bollee
                  Rs. 800 Nava Smarana
                  Rs. 600 International Journal of Jaina Studies
                  Rs. 600 Jaina Studies / C Caillat, Nalini Balbir
                  Rs. 495 Essays in Jaina Philosophy and Religion / Piotr Balcerowicz
                  Rs. 175 The Scientific Foundations of Jainism / K V Mardia
                  Rs. 295 Jainism in Early Medieval Karnataka / RBP Singh
                  Rs. 250 The Jain Path / Aidan Rankin
                  Rs. 395 Jainism and Ecology / Christopher Key Chapple
                  Rs. 495 Elements of Jaina Geography / Frank Van Den Bossche
                  Rs. 950 A Comprehensive History of Jainism / A K Chatterjee (set of 2
                  books)
                  Rs. 500 Jains Today in the World / Pierre Paul Amiel
                  Rs. 550 The A to Z of Jainism / Kristi Wiley
                  Rs. 300 Jaina Philosophy and Religion / Nagin J Shah
                  Rs. 450 Tattvarthasutra: That Which Is / Nathmal Tantia
                  Rs. 200 Jainism Today and Its Future / Robert Zydenbos
                  Rs. 450 Samayasara / Acarya Kundakunda
                  Rs. 150 Niyamasara / Acarya Kundakunda
                  Rs. 150 Pancastikayasara / Acarya Kundakunda
                  Rs. 100 Aspects of Jain Religion / Vilas A Sangave
                  Rs. 100 Religion and Culture of the Jains / Jyoti Prasad Jain
                  Rs. 150 Apta Mimamsa / Acarya Akalanka
                  Rs. 100 Structure and Functions of the Soul in Jainism / S C Jain

                  I would recommend that you read these books, and then I think you will
                  be in a position to understand Jainism better.

                  best wishes
                • Naresh Shah
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 16, 2008
                    Jai Jinendra.

                    Several of the books mentioned below are posted on www.jainworld.com.

                    In the beginning, I think, SAMAN SUTTAM and TATTVARTHA SUTRA should be read. Afterwards, as time permits, other books could be read.

                    In addition, I would like to suggest the following two books written by Hermann Kuhn. These two books are based on TATTVARTHA SUTRA.

                    1. The Notion of Growth and

                    2. Karma - Create Your Own Fate.

                    These books are easy to follow. They are available from www.amazon.com.

                    Regards,