Offering water to Sun in Jainism...?

  • Sachin Jain
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 19, 2013
      Hi Vikas,

      I cannot say this for the whole Jain Tradition as there are many differences and many beliefs within different sects of Jainism.

      But from what I know and from Sthankwasi Tradition, I think its wrong to offer water to Sun.
      Simply because when you offer water to Sun the living beings in water will be affected and mostly be killed.

      This is my understanding based onĀ  reasoning of why we are supposed to use as minimal water as possible.
      Again this is not from any book but based on simple fundamental of Jainism that all lives are precious and
      we should not harm them.

      Secondly, In Jainism, no God can help you or affect you and you have to bear your karma.Thats why when we pray to Tirthankars, its because they are source of inspiration but not because we want something or help us out. So offering water to Sun is not inline with the concept.

      Again, other traditions within Jainism might have a different thought or reasoning. Even Sthankwasi tradition might have something else to say about this and whatever I have said is not from a book but based on simple basic concepts of Jainism. If anything said here is wrong or conflicting with Jainism, I ask for Michchami Dukkadam.

      Thanks,
      Sachin
    • Jakhelia & Associates
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 26, 2013
        Dear Subhashji,
        Jay Jinendra

        I didn't got your point. I never intended to say that
        "If one living being worships some other living being (Devi, Devta, or Bill Gates), the worshipper will receive good fortune."

        Regards,
        CA. Yashesh A. Jakhelia