Re: [JainList] Genetic Engineering, Surrogate Motherhood and the rest: A Very Perplexing Modern Moral Dilemma

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <abhishek.jain@...>
      To: <jainlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 6:16 AM
      Subject: RE: [JainList] Genetic Engineering, Surrogate Motherhood and the
      rest: A Very Perplexing Modern Moral Dilemma

      > Well, I feel that this is not true,
      > I think this is related to the problem of big population and poverty.

      As far as I know there is no such a thing as dana in Hinduism, that is to
      say running orphanages, hospices, surgeries, and so on, nor do any of the
      Hindu scriptures advocate the redistribution of wealth. India is a country
      that has developed the atomic bomb and has invaded two neighbouring
      countries so far, Goa and Sikkhim. The population can be regulated by
      observing the full moon festivals and promoting temporary brahmacharya
      amongst young men. Observing the full moon festivals interrupts the mentrual
      cycle and temporary brahmacharya for young men speaks for itself. In
      addition by helping people to start businesses, etc., and by getting rid of
      the caste system, people naturally reduce the number of children they have.
      Burma, Thailand, and Cambodia were formerly Hindu countries, but Buddhism
      replaced Hinduism in these countries and non of these countries have the
      problem of over-population that India has. In my opinion Hinduism promotes
      over-population, the exploitation of lower castes, and ignorance. India does
      not have any colonies. The U.K. was able to carry out industrialisation
      because of its colonies. But although India does not have colonies it has
      the Dalits and other low caste Hindus who can be exploited. The lower castes
      are India's "colonies". In actual fact Aryan colonialism is a permanent
      feature of Hinduism, it has been going on for four thousand years. Best
      regards, Dave

    • abhishek.jain@iflexsolutions.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2001
        Dear Mr. Dave,
        This is all rubbish what you have written below.
        I have been leaving here in India since my birth,
        and I have never felt anything sort of what you have mentioned.
        You must have made all these views just by reading articles of few people.
        and all those people have written with the intention of  defaming India.
        Regards,
        Abhishek

        rest: A Very Perplexing Modern Moral Dilemma

        > Well,  I feel that this is not true,
        > I think this is related to the problem of big population and poverty.

        As far as I know there is no such a thing as dana in Hinduism, that is to
        say running orphanages, hospices, surgeries, and so on, nor do any of the
        Hindu scriptures advocate the redistribution of wealth. India is a country
        that has developed the atomic bomb and has invaded two neighbouring
        countries so far, Goa and Sikkhim. The population can be regulated by
        observing the full moon festivals and promoting temporary brahmacharya
        amongst young men. Observing the full moon festivals interrupts the mentrual
        cycle and temporary brahmacharya for young men speaks for itself. In
        addition by helping people to start businesses, etc., and by getting rid of
        the caste system, people naturally reduce the number of children they have.
        Burma, Thailand, and Cambodia were formerly Hindu countries, but Buddhism
        replaced Hinduism in these countries and non of these countries have the
        problem of over-population that India has. In my opinion Hinduism promotes
        over-population, the exploitation of lower castes, and ignorance. India does
        not have any colonies. The U.K. was able to carry out industrialisation
        because of its colonies. But although India does not have colonies it has
        the Dalits and other low caste Hindus who can be exploited. The lower castes
        are India's "colonies". In actual fact Aryan colonialism is a permanent
        feature of Hinduism, it has been going on for four thousand years. Best
        regards, Dave

      • Manish Modi
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2001
          10/09/2001
          Dear Dave,
          Jai Jinendra

          I am astonished at some of the conclusions you have drawn!

          a) India has the Dalits as her colonies

          b) There is no such thing as Dan in Hinduism

          c) India has invaded two countries so far!

          d) Getting rid of the caste system can alleviate the problem of
          over-population

          e) Hinduism promotes over-population, the exploitation of lower castes, and
          ignorance.

          Not one of these conclusions is true!

          With due respect, I am surprised that a learned person like you has arrived
          at such rash conclusions!

          Let me refute what you have said point by point.

          a) India has the Dalits as her colonies

          India does not have the Dalits as her colonies! Please! Today the Dalits are
          given most favoured status! They are given preference for jobs, for
          education, for everything possible! Yes, India did have the reprehensible
          system of untouchability, yes there was the pernicious caste system
          prevalent in India...but not any more! The government of India has taken so
          much affirmative action over the past fifty years, that the Dalits have now
          effectively become the elite of society!

          b) There is no such thing as Dan in Hinduism

          The Hindus have a system of Dan that is as strong as in every other
          religion! Only, it is misdirected towards the Brahmins, rather than the
          public as a whole. But that does not lessen the fact that the Hindus do lot
          of charity. I am sure they can do a lot more, but that applies to all of us!

          c) India has invaded two countries so far!

          What rubbish! India has never invaded any country. We have been invaded by
          the whole world and his brother! But we have not invaded other countries! In
          fact, we are not even smart enough to win back what is ours, wrongly taken
          over by Pakistan (Kashmir) and China (Aksai Chin). We are the last country
          in the world to invade others! We go to the other extreme of looking for
          peaceful solutions even while dealing with a bunch of terrorists!

          Goa and Sikkim were very much a part of India. It is the Europeans who had
          invaded Goa. Unless you want us to believe that the Portuguese originated in
          Goa!

          In fact, there is a growing feeling in India that we should take a leaf from
          Israel's book and learn to deal pro-actively with terrorism and cross-border
          infiltration. Time and again India has bent its knees to terrorism. India is
          a soft-target for all the terrorism in the world. The Kashmir problem has
          dragged on for the past fifty years as India has never taken a firm military
          stand against Pakistan.

          d) Getting rid of the caste system can alleviate the problem of
          over-population.

          Where is the connection?

          e) Hinduism promotes over-population, the exploitation of lower castes, and
          ignorance.

          The Brahmins were guilty of inventing the caste system, and they perpetuated
          it for thousands of years. It took the unceasing efforts of social reformers
          like Mahatma Jyotiba Phule, Swami Dayanand Sarasvati, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar,
          Gandhiji, Vinoba Bhave, and many others to eradicate the evil of
          untouchability. But for this, I would lay the blame squarely on the
          brahmins, not the rest.
          Hinduism does not promote over-population and ignorance. Within a certain
          framework, this would be true of Islam, but certainly not true of Hinduism.
          The reason why family planning is taking root in India is beacause the Hindu
          majority has embraced the idea of birth control. The Muslim clergy that been
          effectively discouraging the Muslims from family planning. But educated
          Muslims are moving away from the evil clutches of Muslim clergy and Muslim
          vote-bank politics.

          Uttam Kshama

          Yours in Ahinsa,
          Manish Modi

          HINDI GRANTH KARYALAY
          Hirabaug, C. P. Tank,
          Mumbai - 400004
          INDIA
          Tel. 00 91 22 3826739
          Email: manish.modi@... Website: http://www.hindibooks.8m.com

          "It's the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief.
          And once that belief becomes a deep conviction,
          things begin to happen."
          Claude M. Bristol (1891-1951),
          American Author of 'The Magic of Believing'

          rest: A Very Perplexing Modern Moral Dilemma

          > As far as I know there is no such a thing as dana in Hinduism, that is to
          > say running orphanages, hospices, surgeries, and so on, nor do any of the
          > Hindu scriptures advocate the redistribution of wealth. India is a country
          > that has developed the atomic bomb and has invaded two neighbouring
          > countries so far, Goa and Sikkhim. The population can be regulated by
          > observing the full moon festivals and promoting temporary brahmacharya
          > amongst young men. Observing the full moon festivals interrupts the
          mentrual
          > cycle and temporary brahmacharya for young men speaks for itself. In
          > addition by helping people to start businesses, etc., and by getting rid
          of
          > the caste system, people naturally reduce the number of children they
          have.
          > Burma, Thailand, and Cambodia were formerly Hindu countries, but Buddhism
          > replaced Hinduism in these countries and non of these countries have the
          > problem of over-population that India has. In my opinion Hinduism promotes
          > over-population, the exploitation of lower castes, and ignorance. India
          does
          > not have any colonies. The U.K. was able to carry out industrialisation
          > because of its colonies. But although India does not have colonies it has
          > the Dalits and other low caste Hindus who can be exploited. The lower
          castes
          > are India's "colonies". In actual fact Aryan colonialism is a permanent
          > feature of Hinduism, it has been going on for four thousand years. Best
          > regards, Dave

        • Shalav Rana
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2001
            Dear Manishji,

            I agree with almost all of your conclusion, except the Dalit issue. The
            Dalit issue has never died and will not; to say so would do great injustices
            to those who are now suffering. Giving special prefences is one thing but
            getting equal treatment and status is another. Still the question lingers,
            why are they getting one?

            Just the other day, I was reading a news of about 6000 Dalits becoming
            Buddhist. Why!

            Thanks & Regards
            Shalav

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2001
              Conversion of Dalits to Buddhism has more to do with politics then suffering.
              I do not deny that injustice is there, But if you see then it has always happen that Powerful exploits Weaker.
              This is true in all the parts of world.
              Richer exploits poorer. Humans exploits animals to the extents that they don't even think that they feel the same pain as we do.