Re: [JainList] raksha potli

  • Indrajit vijay
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2001
      Dear Jagruti,
      In rakshapotli they tie some pious ash to protect oneself from any bad.

      On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 jsh24_in@... wrote :
      >can u please tell me why jain's tie rakshapotli on
      >right hand and
      >what is significance of raksha potli? What is made up
      >of and also
      >what it there in raksha inside?
      >
      >Jagruti
    • Indrajit vijay
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
        Dear Jagruti,
        Generaly we do all good things with right hand so we tie RP on the same,
        there is no special cause.
        The major significance is to protect from evil.
        Alike Yagna there is special raksha==ash in that potli.

        On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 Indrajit vijay wrote :
        >Dear Jagruti,
        >In rakshapotli they tie some pious ash to protect
        >oneself from any bad.
        >
        >On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 jsh24_in@... wrote :
        >can u please tell me why jain's tie rakshapotli on
        >right hand and
        >what is significance of raksha potli? What is made up
        >of and also
        >what it there in raksha inside?
        >
        >Jagruti
      • Veer Bothra
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
          Dear Jagruti,

          The oldest mention of Raksha Potlis come in Kalpasutra.
          As part of the birth celebrations that take place when
          a Tirthankar (Lord Mahaveer in this case) is born,
          the 56 DikaKumaris (a type of celestial beings) come
          and perform various rituals.
          One of their rituals is to ingite fire out of some
          special wood and put Chandan in it. The ash that results
          out of this fire is put in a cloth (generally red) and
          tied on the right hand of the lord in order to protect him.
          An act which is just an expression of their love for lord.

          Therefore, from this ritual it can be derived that the
          raksha potlis are meant to protect oneself from various
          external evil forces.

          Also, as part of tradition there is the tying of raksha potlis
          at the start of SiddhChakra Mahapujan.
          Here it's done to protect us from any evil so that the pujan
          ceremony is completed without untoward incidents (Nirvighna).

          Basically, raksha potlis are supposed to contain Rakh (ash)
          but nowadays they might instead contain Akshat (rice) also.
          These are prepared with Mantra recitation and some method.
          They are meant to protect us from external evil forces.
          Right hand because every good activity is supposed to be
          performed by the right hand.

          Veer

        • khushalji@rediffmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2001
            raksha potli is tied by jain followers. it is an iddendity of jain
            people.beside it is tied to keep evils away and to create faith in
            jainism.

            khushal haria