Why I am vegetarian?

  • pankajjain@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
      VEGETARIANISM V/S NON-VEGETARIANISM

      This question arises more and more everywhere especially when we are
      out of India. India is the only country where we find so many pure
      veg people. Here in USA, at the lunch time people find it so
      interesting or surprising when we tell them that we dont even eat
      eggs, leave alone meat/fish etc. I think we have this duty and
      resposibility to first know and understand why we are veg and why it
      is better to be veg so that we ourselves can preserve our age-old
      traditions and then if possible, we can try to convince our non-
      Indian friends about this also. After all, we are benefited from our
      greatest traditions why not try to share our experiences with others
      with love and compassion.

      Now the real discussion on this topic:

      1. First of all, let us look from our cultural and philosophical
      point-of-view. I want to avoid the word religion because then it
      tends to appear more at superstitious level. I think our entire
      system of society and culture was based on solid foundation of years
      of research done by our Rishis and Kings like Vasishtha, Manu,
      ShreeRaam etc. Thus, our religion is beyond all superstitions and
      myths. Our Vedic culture is based on spiritualism. Our philosophy
      maintains that God is everywhere in everything. To reinforce this
      wonderful concept our Rishis made easy rules for our entire system
      including our education system, our agriculture system, our food,
      health and medical system, our marriage and social system etc. Since
      our topic currently is on food, let us discuss that in little more
      detail. When we try to think and perceive God in whatever food we
      eat, we will naturally have respect and interest in the food. The
      feeling of love and compassion will naturally arise towards the
      eatables. The animal instincts will tend to subside. By avoiding
      eating animals and animal products, we are making sure that we show
      our love and compassion towards them. Now the question arises, trees
      also have lives. The answer to this should be: by eating tree's
      fruits or by-products, we never kill the tree itself totally so the
      idea is to committ minimal violence on living beings. That's why
      Jainism goes to the extent of avoiding all the root-vegetables like
      potato, onion, carrot, beat-root, potato etc, so that the whole tree
      should not be killed by eating such vegetables. Another question
      arises, why drink milk if it is also an animal product. Yes, it is
      animal product but again, we are not killing cow/ox/calf by drinking
      the milk so it's ok to have milk. But some sects in India even avoid
      milk. Thus, the whole idea is of minimal Hinsa. Trees dont have all
      the qualities of animals. There are no male or female trees, there
      are no trees with voice/feelings/response/reactions like animals.
      Therefore, trees do have lives but not as complete as animals so by
      eating their by-products we are going to committ minimal violence.Now
      the last case of egg: Egg is the result of sex and reproduction, it
      comes into the world just for the birth of a new chicken. So by
      eating egg we will committ some sort of violence. Thus, the milk is
      the outcome of Vaatsalya(mother's love for child) and egg is the
      result of sex so we can imagine what kind of psychological impact
      each will have on us.

      2. Now, let us look at from our social point-of-view. Again, our
      Rishis had excellent far- sightedness while making the rules. They
      wanted our society to keep flourishing through thousands of years. It
      is their brilliant foundations on which our nation could survive for
      10000 years and still we are 1 billion strong nation. Anyway, back to
      our topic, our economy was agriculture based and still more than 60%
      of our population is. For this, our farmers needed strong bullocks.
      Moreover, from cows we also get milk and dairy products. A major
      portion of our economy was (and still is) dairy based. Thus, for
      preserving our cattle our sociologists and economists made sure that
      we never kill cows/ goats etc. Look at horse, ox and elephant, they
      never eat meat for their wonderful strength and stamina.

      3. Now, the modern scientific point-of-view. Everybody after getting
      modern education and by reading so many articles even in western
      media, already knows this: Vegetarian food is easy to digest, You can
      avoid so many fatal diseases like blood-pressure, colonial cancer etc
      by avoiding heavy food like meat etc. Freshness and hyegenic quality
      of raw vegetable and fruit is likely to be much better than meat.
      Thus it is much more healthier to eat vegetarian food. Now a days, we
      can easily find so many western people eating only salads to avoid
      extra calories. Kudos to them. Ironically enough, our own people back
      home are turning to non-veg, is it a new status-symbol or a new
      fashion??!!

      4. Now, the psychological point-of-view, our scriptures declare that
      man becomes what food it eats. By food they meant whatever input we
      accept from our mouth, nose, mind and eyes. That's why Mahatma Gandhi
      used to say Bura Mat Dekho, Bura Mat Suno, Bura Mat Kaho. If we
      extend this concept to our topic, we can easily conclude that if we
      eat by killing something, our feelings and nature will also become as
      of a lion or wolf who survive by killing someone mercilessly. JEEVO
      JEEVASYA BHOJANAM": this can never be the foundation stone for a
      developed society. Our whole mental and psychological process depends
      on what we eat. Healthy mind lives in healthy bodies. Similarly
      SAATVIK gunas will be developed only if we eat SAATVIK food.
      Padharo Mhare Desh(Welcome to our home) http://home.att.net/~PanSon
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
        From what I have read of the Jain scriptures I gained the impression that
        Jainism is an atheistic religion and not a form of monotheism. I think that
        you are either a very deluded Jain or a dishonest Hindu in disguise.

      • neekaajain@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2001
          MR.PANKAJJAIN,

          AFTER READING YOUR THOUGHT ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS,I TEND TO AGREE WITH
          MR. DAVE WHO RIGHTLY DESCRIBED YOU AS A DISGUISED PERSON.EVEN IN CORE
          OF MY HEART I HOPE U R NOT.

          A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A JAIN ATLEAST WILL HAVE SOME BASIC IDEA
          ABOUT ITS CULTURE AND RELIGION.KINDLY DONT THRUST ANYTHING IN THE
          NAME OF JAINISM.WHATEVER YOU HAVE ASCRIBED T TO JAINISM ATTRIBUTING
          SAME TO RISHI MUNIS(?) REALLY MAKES ME AMAZING.

          IN THE LAST, AS SUGGESTED BY DEAR MR. NAVINJI,I REQUEST YOU TO KINDLY
          READ SOME BASIC LITERATURE ABOUT JAINISM OTHERWISE THRU THIS SITE IT
          WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE FOR OTHERS INCLUDING MR. SHALABH RANA TO CORRECT
          YOUR MISCONCEPTION BECAUSE THESE ARE SO MANY.

          I VERY STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO GO THRU AN EXCELLENT BOOK"=RELIGION AND
          CULTURE OF THE JAINS=by Late Dr.Jyoti Prasad Jain, PUBLISHED BY
          BHARTIYA GYANPITHA, NEW DELHI.

          WITH BEST WISHES,
          NEEKAAJAIN

          -