Homosexuality - a Jain perspective

  • indien_beau
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
      Dear Rushabh, Trisha, Sramanopasak, Aleksei:

      Thank you for raising concerns about the suffering of gay people and sharing your constructive and considerate views on homosexuality. I wish to add:

      1. The karmic prakriti resulting in both homosexuality and hetrosexuality are destroyed by a Digambar Jain monk in the 9th gunsthan which is a very high gunsthan. So one sexuality is not better than the other. It takes the same level of spiritual development to destroy both of them.

      2. Since our souls have been wandering in the universe since eternity, every one of us has been in every possible life forms, so there is no reason to be hypocritical and pick on others. We have all done 'panch paravartan' which means taken birth in every draya-shetra-kaal-bhav and bhaav. In hell, everyone is a 'napunsak' and even tirthankars souls have been to hell.

      3. In an article written by two American authors, Leonard Zwilling and Michael J. Sweet of the University of Wisconsin on Jain's views on sexuality, they write, "It is among the Jains that we have more definitely identified a premodern delineation of a concept of sexuality in something approaching its modern sense."

      If anyone wants a complete copy of this article, please contact me. I can email it to them.
    • Arjun Jain
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hi!
        Jai Jinendra.

        I like the points you present very much. Thanks for sharing your insights.

        Warm regards,
        Arjun

        PS: I will be grateful to you if could share a copy/point me to the
        article by Leonard Zwilling and Michael J. Sweet of the University of
        Wisconsin that you mention.
      • DEVENDRA
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
          Dear I B

          I would be thankful to you. Please send the artical as said at bottom of your email.

          Regards,
          Devendra