Poojya Dadaji Pt. Nathuram Premi

  • MANISH MODI
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2001
      01/06/2001
      Dear Malaiyaji,
      Jai Jinendra

      Yes, you are right that Poojya Dadaji Pandit Nathuramji Premi and Pragya
      Chakshu Pandit Sukhlalji Sanghvi were great friends and met regularly.
      Pandit Sukhlalji was
      often accompanied by Dalshukh Malvania ji. Infact, Pandit Sukhlalji's
      wonderful commentary on the Tattvarthsutra is replete with references to
      Pandit Nathuramji Premi and his views.

      Both the great scholars emphasised Jain Unity way back then, but they were
      thwarted then as now by the shenanigans of the so-called leaders of society
      who would lose their importance once the sectarian fighting stops.

      Pandit Bechardasji was another close friend of Poojya Dadaji.

      I think another book on these lines, "Jain Jagaran ke Agradoot" was also
      published in the thirties and forties.

      Premiji was a great admirer of the historic Shwetamber monk Hemchandracharya
      and named his only son (my grandfather) "Hemchandra".

      Poojya Dadaji hailed from the orthodox Bundelkhand but he was the first man
      in the community to actively support widow-remarriage. He married his
      younger brother to a Jain lady who was unfortunate enough to be a
      child-widow.

      Pandit Nathuramji Premi was a great supporter of women's education, and
      insisted upon educating his daughter-in-law, my grandmother, in the 1930's.
      My mother was married into the family in 1953, and came in as a sixteen-
      year old matriculate in Hindi medium from Lalitpur, U.P. Premiji ensured
      that she learnt Sanskrit, Shaurseni Prakrit, Apabhransha, Marathi and
      Bengali apart from encouraging her finish her graduation in Hindi. By the
      time he passed away on 30/01/1960, he had made her a first class proof
      reader and a researcher into Jain history. She assisted him in research
      during his magnum opus, "Jain Sahitya Aur Itihas."

      Pandit Nathuramji Premi was instrumental in arranging for the printing and
      publication of the Shatkhandagam Dhavla. He worked in close tandem with two
      of his greatest friends, Dr. Hiralaji Jain and Dr. A. N. Upadhye and the
      three of them got the book printed and published, Dr. Jain and Dr. Upadhye
      did all the translation work while Poojya Dadaji did the editing and was the
      overall co-ordinator and also arranged finance through the rich Shravaks of
      Bundelkhand, notably Danveer Seth Sitabray Gulabray of Vidisha, M.P.

      A lot of monks and Shravaks of that era opposed the printing of the
      Shatkhandagam Dhavala, the most ancient and authoritative Digamber Jain
      canonical text, as they felt this would involve desecration of the same. In
      the face of such stiff opposition, Poojya Dadaji, Dr. Jain and Dr. Upadhye
      stuck to their guns and made sure the book was published.

      All the top Digamber monks today are really happy that such a magnificent
      work was published then, and has served as a beacon to the Jain Samaj since
      then.

      Apart from being a leading Jain scholar, Pandit Nathuramji Premi was India's
      pioneering Publisher of Hindi literature. He has been described by Vishnu
      Prabhakar ji as the "Bhishma Pitamah of Hindi Literature." He introduced
      Hindi readers by publishing in Hindi such modern literary masters as Dr.
      Hajariprasad Dwivedi, Bengali novelist Sharatchandra Chattopadhyay,
      Bankimchandra, playwright Dwijendranath Rai, historian Damodar Dharamanand
      Koshambi, novelists Amritlal Nagar, Acharya Chatursen, Jainendra Kumar,
      Yashpal ji, and many many others. Prominent thinkers and literary giants
      such as Prabhakar Machve and Vishnu Prabhahakar were all published by him.
      Hindi's greatest and best-known novel, "Godan" by Munshi Premchand was
      published first by Premiji in 1936 in Mumbai. He established the firm "Hindi
      Granth Ratnakar Karyalay" in 1912.

      It is my great honour and privilege to run this firm now.

      N. B. Jitubhai of L.D. Institute has obtained our permission to reprint
      Poojya Dadaji's magnificently authoritative work, "Jain Sahitya Aur Itihas."
      So hopefully it shall be reprinted this year by L.D.

      N.B. A lot of younger people might not know why Pandit Sukhlalji Sanghvi was
      known as Pragya Chakshu. He was blind. All his vast scholarship was due to
      his near-miraculous powers of retention and reasoning ability. All the
      Shastras were read out to him, and his mind was so extraordinary, that he
      understood and mastered them. Pt. Dalsukh Malvaniaji, who passed away
      recently, did a lot of reading out loud for Pandit Sukhlalji.

      Yours in Ahinsa,
      Manish Modi

      HINDI GRANTH KARYALAY
      Hirabaug, C. P. Tank,