Significance of mourning period after death.

  • anupammsb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
      Jai Jinendra
      What is the significance of 13 days mourning period for male or 12 days mourning period for female? Why do we perform shanti phath on
      13th day or 12th day? what is the real significance of shanti phath?

      Please i am confused about all these query. Can somebody explain me about my query.

      Anupam Jain
    • ANISH SHAH
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
        Jai Jinendra,

        This 13 day mourning period is not a Jain concept. In Hindus, it is believed that after death, the soul hangs in limbo as a preta for 12 days. On the 13th day it is freed from this transitionary phase by ritual of shraddh by the descendents, which then goes in the realm of fathers (Pitruloka). Hence these rituals are conducted to free the soul supposedly hanging in limbo and for its shanti.

        Jains on the other hand believe that the soul, after death, instantaneously (almost..it takes about 1 to 4 ssamaya...read Tattvarthasutra) enters the new body as per its karma. So there is no scope of any rituals or belief in bhoot-preta, or any appeasement of anscestors by doing Yagnas or shanti paath.

        To my knowledge, no Jains follow this 13 day mourning period and do any havans or shanti paath. The logic is simple. The soul has already taken rebirth as per its karma..then these Havans are for whose benefit?

        Trust this answers your query.

        regards

        Anish

        To: jainlist@yahoogroups.com
        From: anupammsb@...
        Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 05:25:21 +0000
        Subject: [JainList] Significance of mourning period after death.

        Jai Jinendra
        What is the significance of 13 days mourning period for male or 12 days mourning period for female? Why do we perform shanti phath on
        13th day or 12th day? what is the real significance of shanti phath?

        Please i am confused about all these query. Can somebody explain me about my query.

        Anupam Jain

        Get easy photo sharing with Windows LiveT Photos. Drag n' drop
      • loon karan chhajer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
          YES YOU ARE CORRECT. IN OUR AERIA MOST OF JAIN  DID NOT BE LIVE IN 13 DAY MOURNING PERIOD CONCEPT. LATE ACHRYA TULSI TOLD This 13 day mourning period is not a Jain concept. Now in terapanth Jain samaj is following  achrya tulsi's concept.
          Thanks
          l.k.chhajer
        • R K DAGA
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
            Dear Shri Chhajer ji,
            Jai Jinendra,
            Can you pl explain, what is Acharya Tulsi's concept about mourning.

            regards
            Rajendra

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
              DEAR R.K.DAGA

                 MEANS OF MOURNING IS  CONVENTIONAL OUTWARD SIGNS OF GRIET OVER A DEATH. OR OF ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF IT.AS BY THE WEARING OF ARMBANDS,BLACK CLOTHING OR LIKE. AS YOU KNOW ACHRYA TULSI WAS A GREAT MANAV. HE WORTE A BOOK  'NAYAMOD".PLEASE READ THIS BOOK YOU WILL KNOW ABOUT CONSEPT OF ACHARYA TULSI ABOUT MOURNING.

              THANKS. JAYJINENDRA.
              L.K.CHHAJER