Response To "Double Standards"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2000
      Response To "Double Standards"
          Never does it cease to amaze me that the "judiciary" is supposedly "protected" from their errors through "judicial immunity".  When you consider that at least 70% of the defendants involved in a court action in this country are there because "they made a mistake" it is difficult to understand why "ignorance is no defense" for them, but ignorance is the "rule of law" for judges.
          When they make a "mistake" it is considered "part of the duty." When we make a mistake, it is considered "breach of the duty." When we are negligent, we are held accountable. When they are negligent, they are held immune. When we violate the Constitutional rights of another we are indicted.  When they violate the Constitutional rights of another they are considered to be "acting within their Judicial discretion," and bolstered by the very appellate courts that are to protect us from such abuse.
          And why wouldn't they uphold such grievous mistakes of their subordinates?  They too are immune from their mistakes.

      Rev. Brad Ingram, PhD
      Virginia J.A.I.L. of Judges
      National Cry for Children

      Jurist Rebuked For Driving Drunk

      Courts: An O.C. judge gets the mildest discipline meted out by a state judicial commission...
      By John McDonald
      The Orange County Register
          Orange County Superior Court Judge Gary P. Ryan was publicly admonished by the state's Commission on Judicial Performance on Tuesday for drunken driving....
          An admonishment, the lowest grade of public discipline meted out by the commission, carries no monetary sanction or professional restriction.
          The commission last publicly disciplined an Orange County judge, James R. Ross, in May, 1998...
          Newport Beach police arrested Ryan, 56, following an accident in September, 1999 and reported his blood-alcohol level at 0.17, more than twice the level for a driving-under-the influence charge.
          He pleaded guilty to the charge....
          He currently is assigned to hear family-law cases.

      *  Has anyone ever noticed that there seems to be two standards of law, one for the citizen, and another for those of government?
          Ironically, one of the complaints of our Founding Fathers in the  Declaration of Independence was, "For protecting them, by a mock  trial, from punishment for any murders which they should commit on  the inhabitants of these states:"
          Often today, governments will hold, if anything at all, a
      pretended or mock trial of their own for crimes against the people.
          And what is not so obvious is that oftentimes they will even later promote that criminal perpetrator to higher government positions. Examples of this, for instance are such incidents as California  Senator David Robertie against whom the people enacted a recall and which recall ruined his ability to acquire his re-election. Having been effectively put out of office by the people, he was thereafter promoted to an even higher-paying job in California government with his "opponent" party participating in a fundraiser to discharge his recall debt.
          Then there is the example of California Judge Henry Patrick
      Nelson, who, in the face of multiply charges of misconduct as set forth in media, left the bench in disgrace, involuntarily signing a permanent retirement agreement just days before he was to face charges, in exchange for averting such action, only to thereafter be rehired by the County of Los Angeles that he "permanently retired" from, as defense counsel for wayward judges as he himself was. We called it, "Publicly thrown out the front door in disgrace, and secretly hired in the back door for a promotion."
          We could go on to talk about citizens who go to prison for
      twenty-five to life for drug charges, while judges only receive
      counseling for their drug addition.
          Now for the instant story. Here we Superior Court Judge Ryan driving under the influence, (DUI), a serious criminal violation under the California Penal Code. He has an alcohol level more than twice that of a DUI charge. He gets involved in an accident, and then pays not so much as one dime in fines or court costs, nor does he spend so much as a single day in jail. Yes, and he gets to keep his posh position with over a hundred-thousand dollars a year as judge of the Family Law Court. What's wrong with this picture?
          Now what would happen to any citizen who drove drunk and got involved in a accident? Do you think they would be admonished and not pay a fine or serve time in jail? Do we not have a double-standard? You be the judge! - Ronald Branson