* * Fear of Fervent Judge Bashing * *

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2005
      Los Angeles, California                                             April 29, 2005
      Mission Statement                  JNJ Library                     PayPal Support
      Federal J.A.I.L.                           FAQs                    What?MeWarden?

      Fear of Fervent Judge Bashing

      http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200550426001

      Piersol: Attacks on judges to get airing

      By David Kranz
      dkranz@...

      Published: 04/26/05 2:47 pm

      Seldom do federal judges respond to criticism about their decisions, but recent heated attacks against them may change that.

      U.S. District Judge Lawrence Piersol of Sioux Falls, president of the Federal Judges Association, says the group will discuss what response, if any, it should make when board members meet next month in Washington, D.C.

      “We are not concerned about being criticized. That is not new. Suggestions of retaliation for judicial opinion is new,” said Piersol, a soft-spoken and highly respected judge.

      After hearing a range of opinions from judges about what they call “fervent judge bashing,” Piersol communicated with the membership about placing the issue on the agenda.

      “We will discuss what we should or shouldn’t do. We may decide to take action or no action,” he said.

      “It is a free country, and everyone has free-speech rights to criticize judges,” he said. “Traditionally, the courts have not responded to those things, and we may not after this. But as of late, some of these comments have been over the edge, and that is what has caused concern,” he said.

      To be Added or Removed, write to VictoryUSA@...

      minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams