Open Disscussion on Parking Matters

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2005
      Open Discussion on
      Parking Matters
      (Discussion Instigated by Chuck Klein, - cklein@...)

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:35 AM
      Subject: Re: * * * We Need Parking Meters * * *

      Ron,

      Interesting discussion. However, both seemed to ignore one important aspect of parking meters: it keeps parking spaces free for others to use. Without them people could (and do in places where there are no meters) use the public streets as free storage places and park their vehicles (cars trucks, campers, trailers, etc.) for years - with impunity. The meter sets a time limit for such use of the space on the right-of-way at the landowners property. The common good (muchless the good of the landowner) would not be served if the streets were filled with permanently parked vehicles.

      Ah, you say, the city already has a law about over-time parking (vehicles can't be parked longer than 48, 60 or whatever hours. Tagging, clocking and removing such a huge amount of vehicles would over-tax the police enforcement system. This over-time law is, of course, - constitutionally (according to your arguments) no different than a meter being used instead of the tagging, clocking method.

      I live on a street with no parking meters, 8 blocks from the heart of downtown Cincinnati and one block from metered streets. Mine is a residential street of row houses and parking is very tight. Residents here are constantly calling the police to remove over-time parked vehicles because some try to use the free parking - in front of my house - to store there motorhomes, boats, junk, and abandoned vehicles. We don't want meters placed on our streets because we wouldn't be able to park our own vehicles all day - for those who work at night or work from their home. Meters in the downtown business district are necessary to allow a reasonable time to conduct your business and then free-up a space so someone else can use it to conduct their business.

      I would guess that since the city already has an easement over your property, then they have the right to install fire plugs, sewers, water lines, etc., post signs limiting parking in certain areas (such as next to a fire plug or within a set limit from a driveway or intersection) or even post traffic control devices (signs, lights, etc.) ALL FOR THE GENERAL WELFARE as noted in the constitution.

      Every parking ticket I've ever seen has a procedure printed thereon instructing how one may. in a timely manner,  register to contest the ticket. To insist that every ticketed person personally appear - along with the officer, would not be in keeping with the letter nor the sprit of the "general welfare clause" of the constitution.

      Keep up the good work,

      Chuck Klein

      Dear Chuck Klein:

      When I placed out the J.A.I.L. News Journal about Parking Ticket Matters, I had no idea that it would cause such a furry. Obviously, it is a  subject of great interest, and worthy of open discussion. I know you to be a man of integrity, and therefore your expressed concern to be  genuine.

      Here is what I will do. I am going to put this out for an open public discussion among the JAILers for their comments and suggestions, and I will open this discussion with my thoughts on the matter. (Responses should be sent to both you and me.)

      My mind is analytical, meaning that when I hear of a genuine problem, my mind goes into the automatic mode of solving the problem. I could not tell you all the hours my mind has imagined that if I were in control, and I could make a difference in this country, how I would solve the problems inherent within government.

      First off, let me establish a basic principle. There are areas in which we do need government, and thus, in those cases, government is but a necessary evil. Here are some famous quotes on this, "Society in every state is a blessing, but a government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." [Thomas Paine.] "All who have ever written on government are unanimous, that among people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." [Edmond Burke] "Is there no virtue among us? If there be not, we are in a wretched situation. No theoretical checks, no form of government can render us secure." [James Madison.]
      I follow the basics that government should no become involved if the task can be accomplished outside of government, and that governments should only do that which only they can do. For instance, weights and measures, and our monetary system. We could not reasonably entertain that a private, for profit enterprise should be in control of our nation's money. Hence, we have provided in our Constitution, "Congress shall coin money and regulate the value thereof." They also are charged with setting all weights and measures.

      We just could not have people arguing what is the definition of a pound at the butcher's shop, or what is a gallon at the filling station. Likewise, a dollar has to have a clear definition of a definite weight of a specific thing, such as 412.5 grains of silver, troy weight, or else everyone would be left to pure speculation as to what a dollar is, which would otherwise be merely an ever-diminishing confidence game.

      So here your concern is with streets filling up with abandoned automobiles, or cars used for storage, and taking up legitimate parking spaces that others should have access to. The first question is, can a remedy be provided for this problem out side of a service of government?

      Without my answering this question here, let me start from the premise that indeed this must be a legitimate public service of government. With that premise, then, we know it would be absolutely wrong for governments to make this a for profit-making business, which is what is being done now. As I pointed out, in cities across America, this issue of parking profits are going in part to the corporate stockholders on the New York Stock Exchange. No only is this a moral no-no, but is forbidden in our California Constitution, but nonetheless it is happening anyway.

      I happen to be in an auto impound business when two tow truck drivers where talking beside their trucks. The one to my right asked the one to my left, "How's business?" The reply was, "Oh, great. We haven't been making so much money in the history of our business." I mention this conversation because even this tow truck driver perceives his towing  automobiles off the streets as a great boon in profits beyond his imagination.

      Now we all believe that the laborer is worthy of his hire, and that a man should be fairly remunerated for his labor, but to be paid far beyond one's labor and beyond one's imagination for a supposed "public service" is a scam and a fraud. It is not a public service, but rather a rip-off of the public. No public service should be stuffing the pockets of those benefiting from it. Clearly, this is what is going on.

      For sake of argument, having here admitted to this being a government function, your question narrows down to this; is there a fair balance somewhere between the need to move vehicles off the street, and the raking in of windfall profits that is stuffing the pockets of the private sector and governments? Right now, it is clearly all about money. (For those of you who wish to argue that enforcement of parking can be handled outside of government, you are welcome to voice your opinion. I am just going along with the proposition that this is purely a government function.)

      Now Chuck, I note that you are going on the assumption that the moving of delinquent vehicles is always good for businesses. I wish to rebut this assumption. Generally, everything government gets involved in does not profit businesses. Here, you are arguing it does.

      In the City of San Jose, California, it was noted in the newspapers that the merchants got together and protested the parking meters in front of their businesses and demanded the city remove them. Their argument was that they were the victims of unfair practices in that some of their customers, and potential customers were taking their business elsewhere where there where no parking meters to shop.

      This, I know personally this to be a fair complaint. I have avoided places of business where I knew I had to feed the meter, and have gone to places where I do not. Of course, I did not inform these business that they were losing my business, but nonetheless, it is happening. And I know that I am not the only one of their potential customers that thinks this way.

      The next door city to Los Angeles, the City of Burbank, has removed every parking meter in town, and this has profited the merchants there. The City of Burbank is much more beautiful a city than L.A. The streets are in excellent condition, and one can witness when they leave Burbank and enter L.A. by the pot-holes, and multi-level patch-work on the streets. With a whole lot less money per capita, the City of Burbank keeps their city an outstanding community. One can tell a definite difference as if an imaginary line between L.A. & Burbank.

      In Los Angeles, there use to be "Two-Hour" parking limits in a our residential area six says a week. It meant that everyone could, and did, get a ticket just for parking in front of their home in excess of two-hours.
      Our community rose up in protest and signed a petition and gave it to the City of Los Angeles. We told them that they will either dig up those signs, or we will, and stack them up at the end of the block, and that we would make it a media event if they failed to act. Indeed the City of Los Angeles removed all of those parking signs. Now I do not say that since that time we have not had some infractions, but by large, things have been fairly smooth, and on occasion the city was called upon to remove a few cars.

      Now getting back to meters, I can say that whenever an automobile is parked outside a business that has overstayed the meter, it can be reasonable assumed that the owner of that car does his shopping within that community. While this person may be up the street shopping, someone parked up the street may be shopping at the store where the offending automobile sits. Every merchant selfishly would certainly like to have the owner of ever car in front of their business in their store, but they reasonably must grasp that every car in their are will be shopping somewhere in their community. People get thirsty, and they buy drinks. But you run a hair salon business, and do not sell drinks. Hey, that's business.

      But I know what you are saying. Ron, What about those who just park a car and leave it for days? Good question, and a legitimate concern. My response is, whatever we determine to be the remedy, there must be afforded a system of due process. According to our Constitution, "no one my be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process."  Out of a legitimate concern for moving abandoned cars, should we entertain suspending the Constitution? God forbid. But if you are listening to what I am saying, this is exactly what is happening.

      Under the Constitution I have a guaranteed right to face my accusers, to cross-examine them, to present my witnesses, and to put on a defense before a jury at a public trial. Anything less is a deprivation of Constitutional due process.

      Now I was accused of parking my car at a certain location at a certain time. This accusation was false. My first question was whether I was an administrative subject, and whether I was at the right forum. They did not want to deal with that issue, but I did raise that they have to deal with it.

      The bottom line, I was totally denied a hearing of any kind in which to put on a defense of any kind, including denying that I was at that place at that stated time. What's more, a little investigation on my part revealed that even if I had been there, the posted signs were illegally posted. No one is allowed under law to just arbitrarily throw up signs wherever one want to post them. There must be a stated reason, and that reason must be justified. In this case, the stated reason for those signs were to prevent cursing. Cursing is a moving crime. Parking is not cursing. In order to enforce a cursing statute, that stretch of the road must be posted, "No cursing between the hours of 8 pm and 11 pm. Cursing means passing the same point twice within four hours." (These times are examples of what the law requires.)  Now let's suppose for argument's sake, I was parked at the time and place in which I was accused. When and where am I afforded an opportunity to argue this point?

      So I ask, shall we suspend the due process of the Constitution of the United States over the public need to tow away cars? As they are enforcing it, not only does anyone get a pre-deprivation hearing, but the people are being denied a post-deprivation hearing.

      So, back to your concern. If we are not to ignore the Constitution, do we propose amending the U.S. Constitution to deny due process under certain circumstances? And then who is to decide if the situation meets that "certain circumstances? We would need a hearing on that question.

      Chuck, I cannot answer your question, but I know I do not want to suspend the Constitution out of expediency to make parking spaces available to other customers. I will now let others check in on this discussion. Is Chuck Klein's concern justified? If this parking enforcement solely a government function? Should everyone be afforded due process in parking matters? Is this something in which we should consider amending our nation's Constitution?

      Let's hear from everyone on this matter. cc. both of us.

      -Ron Branson

      Chuck Klein

      Los Angeles, California                                             February 12, 2005
      Mission Statement                  JNJ Library                     PayPal Support
      Federal J.A.I.L.                           FAQs                    What?MeWarden?

      We Need Parking Meters
      (By Sandra xsha@...)