Preparing for the Challenge of Taking on South Dakota

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2004
      Preparing for the Challenge
      of Taking on South Dakota
      (By JAILer-In-Chief Bill Stegmeier, South Dakota, rmsroll@... )
      As most of you know, J.A.I.L (www.jail4judges.org) is seriously considering South Dakota for a petition drive to get J.A.I.L. on the 2006 ballot as a SD Constitutional Amendment.
      Our chances of getting J.A.I.L. on the 2006 ballot are excellent, considering the relatively low number of signatures required and the ample time allowed to collect them.  The 64 million dollar question is what are our chances of getting it passed?
      South Dakota is not widely known for judicial corruption and injustice.  But what about the general unspoken perception of our court system and of South Dakota judges in particular?
      I have hired the polling firm of Zogby International (www.zogby.com) to poll likely SD voters, starting this coming Monday.
      The following is our question which will be posed to 800 registered voters.

      Question for SD poll:

      1. Have you, or anyone you know, ever been treated unfairly by the court system or any particular judge?

      1. Yes      2. No        3. Not sure

      Zogby tells me we should receive the results of the poll by Wednesday!

      Stay tuned.
      Bill Stegmeier
      Comments by Ron Branson
      As we all know, should J.A.I.L. be successful in appearing on the up-coming South Dakota ballot (2006), the system is going to drag out its big guns and spend untold millions on its defeat, knowing that it will be the beginning of the end of their domination over the American People.
      J.A.I.L. promises to be the hottest issue to appear on any ballot throughout this country. This was suggested by the largest legal newspaper in the country, the Los Angeles Daily Journal, when it wrote about the potential of J.A.I.L. in California, saying on its front page, "Ron Branson has picked a lot of fights with judges and lost. Now the vexed Los Angeles County litigant is going to voters with a proposed ballot initiative aimed at cracking down on a judicial system he regards as out of control.
      You've heard of the "Three Strikes You're Out" law? The Judicial Accountability Initiative Law (J.A.I.L.) is Branson's version of "three strikes" for judges, allowing for special nonlawyer tribunals to criminally sanction and permanently remove jurists who repeatedly break the law. ....
      The state's judicial establishment isn't exactly holding its breath.             "We're not going to be lying awake worrying about this," said Constance Dove, executive director of the California Judges Association. 'I think the voters have more sense than that.'
      It was only five years ago that voters strengthened public oversight of judges with Proposition 190, which revamped the Commission on Judicial Performance to give majority control to nonlawyer "public" members and give the disciplinary panel more power to make up its own rules.
      Civil Immunity Eliminated.
      J.A.I.L. would go quite a bit further -- -- further, in fact, than any judicial watchdog agency in the nation."
      The fact we must face is that we must gear up for the hottest, meanest, and dirtiest fight for the minds of the People respecting the future of America, all pushed by this nation's heaviest media everywhere.
      J.A.I.L. will indeed be the "Second Shot Heard 'Round The World." The question is, are we all ready to face the challenge? Do we hear a "Rah, Rah" with a genuine willingness to make it happen? Let's let Bill Stegmeier hear from us.