Clinton Interested in "Judicial Accountability"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2000

      http://www.newswatchmagazine.org/UNpolice/index.shtml

      White House Briefing Room

      February 24, 2000

      STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

      THE WHITE HOUSE

      Office of the Press Secretary

      For Immediate Release

      STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

      I have just signed a Presidential Decision Directive (PDD) that will improve America’s ability to strengthen police and judicial institutions in countries where peacekeeping forces are deployed. The PDD directs the Departments of State, Defense and Justice to undertake a series of critical enhancements in the areas of police-military coordination, as well as in police, penal and judicial training and development.

      Modesto Police trained as NATO Police!

      In peacekeeping missions from the Balkans to East Timor, establishing basic law and order has been among the most important - and formidable - challenges. Developing effective local police forces, establishing credible court and penal systems, and reforming legal codes can make the crucial difference between building a just future and lapsing back into conflict.

      When fully implemented, this PDD will help overcome major obstacles that currently confront international peacekeeping operations. By enhancing cooperation between police and military peacekeepers, we will better ensure public security during these operations. By more effectively training and fielding international police monitors, we will better ensure that local police fairly and effectively prevent the breakdown of law and order in post-conflict societies. And by improving our ability to provide assistance to local judicial and penal institutions, we will better ensure accountability, as well as confidence among local populations often traumatized by the conflicts they have endured.

      We must do everything possible to improve our ability to help countries in transition to get the job done - and to encourage other governments and the United Nations to be deeply engaged in these efforts.