Public Relations Representative for S.D. J.A.I.L.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13 12:13 PM
      Public Relations and Media Representative
      for South Dakota J.A.I.L.

      Things are looking up for the J.A.I.L. campaign to get started in earnest in South Dakota, J.A.I.L.'s target state for going on the ballot. Bill Stegmeier, the S.D. JIC, rmsroll@..., has strongly suggested the importance of having a reliable and capable J.A.I.L. spokesperson in South Dakota to be able to face the media and the public regarding the "Get Out The Vote For J.A.I.L." campaign for the next two years in South Dakota.

      Bill said this position was so important to South Dakota J.A.I.L., that he is willing to pay the right person a salary for this vital service. Bill was more concerned about having that accommodation than about collecting the appropriate signatures. He is very confident about J.A.I.L. being on the 2006 ballot for a Constitutional Amendment. Bill emphasized that the first thing that must be done is to educate the public through the media and personal contact about J.A.I.L. and why it is so vitally needed in South Dakota [that being the scope for the S.D. campaign]. Furthermore, that publicity campaign has to begin just as soon as possible!

      The hitch was in finding the right person for the job. Bill said he must be articulate, poised, well-groomed, charismatic, enjoy the spotlight and public attention, and of course-- on top of all that-- know and thoroughly understand all aspects of J.A.I.L. to be able to answer any and all questions. Coming up with someone filling all those requirements for South Dakota was indeed a tall order.

      Ron immediately contacted some of the new South Dakota JAILers that we met at the FreedomRoast2004 and asked if any of them knew of someone who could fill that bill, and none of them could come up with any suggestions. It will be a full-time job, so someone would have to be able to dedicate himself or herself solely to this cause.

      Ron and I began to think "outside the box" --that is, outside of South Dakota. Whom did we know that would most closely fill all those prerequisites, and be a good spokesperson for J.A.I.L.?  We thought "The only one we know of who would definitely qualify would be the one who has voluntarily been the Public Relations Representative for National J.A.I.L. and who has been doing a superb job for several years."  And most of you know who that is:  the one and only Attorney Gary Zerman!  Now, the only question was, would Gary be willing to relocate from California to South Dakota?  It would certainly take someone fully dedicated to J.A.I.L. to be willing to pull up stakes and settle halfway across the country for the sake of this cause!

      Ron caught Gary by surprise when he called Gary the next morning and told him about the opportunity in South Dakota. Gary had never met Bill Stegmeier, but had read our articles about him, particularly the FreedomRoast he sponsored. Gary knew, of course, of the up-coming J.A.I.L. campaign in our target state of South Dakota, and he readily understood the need for a good spokesperson for J.A.I.L. to cover that campaign. That type of work is in Gary's blood and he delights in any opportunity to tell the public all about J.A.I.L. and why it's needed, whether it's by speaking to groups, broadcasting on radio, making TV appearances, or speaking at small community meetings-- he's done it all. So as Ron explained things to Gary, he said he would like to consider the possibility, even though it meant relocating to South Dakota. Gary would be the first person to fill a paid position within J.A.I.L.

      Bill emailed us and said "I have spoken to Gary [by phone] a few times now concerning him being our media star in SD.  I am most impressed, just as Ron suspected I would be,"  and further stated
      "Some sort of preliminary announcement would be in order stating the likelihood of Gary accepting the position and that both Gary and I will be at the July 19th WTP event, should anyone care to meet and talk about the SD project."  So that is what we're doing!

      We would encourage as many JAILers as possible meet personally with Gary Zerman and Bill Stegmeier, to find out more about the South Dakota J.A.I.L. campaign while they are in Washington. For details, email Bill at rmsroll@....

      Once J.A.I.L. qualifies for the ballot in S.D., it will create a literal massive media flurry, and will bring about a nationwide debate among all, and by its passage, will raise a mushroom cloud over South Dakota, resulting in hope in the hearts and minds of the men and women of this nation.

      -Barbie-