Federal Magistrate Rules Honorably

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3 10:11 PM
      Los Angeles, California                                                July 3, 22, 2003

      Federal Magistrate
      Rules Honorably

      We've all heard a lot in the news lately about "War Criminals" and "Vicious Terrorists" threatening our country which has reached a fever pitch comparable to that of a shark feeding frenzy, and a mob mentality of torches and pitchforks, "Why Wait, Let's Just Hang'em Here."

      Federal Magistrate T. Rawles Jone, Jr., has exercised his insight and proper jurisdiction to place a damper upon the government's overzealous desire to railroad prosecutions through.

      4 'jihad' defendants granted bail
      USA TODAY
      7/2/2003
      By Kevin Johnson,

      ALEXANDRIA, Va. - Four men accused of being part of a "jihad network" were granted bail Wednesday. The move raises questions about allegations that they were Muslim warriors preparing to fight against U.S. allies overseas.
      U.S. Magistrate T. Rawles Jones Jr. said none of the defendants pose a
      threat to the community. The men are accused of training for combat while on paintball outings in the Virginia countryside.

      In the case of one defendant, Hammad Abdur-Raheem, 29, Jones referred to a solid work history, strong family ties and military service that he said appeared to defy the government's claims. "The government's argument that he should be denied bond because of
      concerns for community safety simply does not hold water," Jones said.

      He ordered the men released after they met bail conditions, including a
      requirement that they submit to electronic monitoring while awaiting trial.
      The decision appeared to undermine the government's terror-related claims in a 42-count indictment unsealed last week. The court documents allege that the defendants were among 11 people who obtained weapons and trained to fight in Chechnya, Kashmir, the Philippines and elsewhere.
      Those men, Hammad Abdur-Raheem; Randall Todd Royer, 30; and Caliph Basha Ibn Abdur-Raheem, 29, were all ordered released pending appeal. Prosecutors indicated they did not plan to appeal the release order for Donald Thomas Surratt, 30.

      Royer was visibly moved by the magistrate's decision. He buried his head in his hands and later wiped tears from his eyes.

      "This was the only decision the judge could make," said King Lyon, the
      father of Hammad Abdur-Raheem. "This whole case is built on hearsay. There is not a fact in the whole case." ....

      We need more judges like U.S. Magistrate T. Rawles Jones Jr., who does not just take the government's word at face value without questioning it. Our thanks to USA Today for making this story known.
      -Ron Branson-
      Donate offerings to J.A.I.L., P.O. Box 207, N. Hollywood, CA 91603
      "Give me your wealth, and I will give you America"  - Ron Branson