Federal Judge Resigns, Calling Judicial System Unjust

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2003
      Los Angeles, California                                                  June 27, 2003

      TheJAILerMakers                      What?MeWarden?
      T-ShirtMe!
                      FedJAIL4FedJudges                   E-mail&hosting

      Federal Judge Resigns, Calling Judicial System Unjust
      By LARRY NEUMEISTER
      Associated Press Writer
      June 24, 2003

      NEW YORK -- A federal judge said Tuesday he is quitting what he called an unjust criminal justice system, fed up with Congress' quest to boost prison sentences and prevent judges from deciding how long someone is imprisoned.

      "Congress is mandating things simply because they want to show how tough they are on crime with no sense of whether this makes sense or is meaningful," Judge John S. Martin said in an interview with The Associated Press.

      The result, he said, is a slew of lengthy prison sentences for low-level drug dealers "who society failed at every step."

      "Sentences should be just. We shouldn't be putting everybody in jail for the rest of their life," Martin said.  ....

      Martin wrote in an opinion column published in The New York Times Tuesday that he never thought he would leave the federal bench, a lifetime appointment that began May 22, 1990.

      "While I might have stayed on despite the inadequate pay, I no longer want to be part of our unjust criminal justice system," he wrote.

      Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

      http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/ny-bc-ny--judgequits0624jun24,0,3690958.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-manhattan

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      Get involved with us JAIL_SALE_USA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      "Give me your wealth, and I will give you America"  - Ron Branson