* * * Regulators andd Zoning Laws * * *

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2003
      Los Angeles, California                                               May, 21, 2003

      HotSeat4Judges/M-Th/5pmPT   TheJAILerMakers   What?MeWarden?
      T-ShirtMe!                FedJAIL4FedJudges                 WebHostingServ

      Regulators and Zoning Laws
      By Bill Monroe, Tennessee J.A.I.L.

      I still like to read and occasionally write about the quotes of our founders and earlier justices.  The following quotes seem appropriate re: Knoxville zoning changes and the possibility of this coming to us.

      "Now what liberty can there be where property is taken away without
      consent?" - Samuel Adams (Nov 20, 1772)

      "Property must be secured, or liberty cannot exist." John Adams
      ("Discourses on Davila," 1790)

      "The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as
      sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and
      public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If 'Thou
      shalt not covet' and 'Thou shalt not steal' were not commandments of
      Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society before
      it can be civilized or made free."  - John Adams, "A Defense of the American Constitutions," 1787

      Jefferson wrote "The true foundation of republican government is the
      equal right of every citizen in his person and property, and in their
      management." To which he added - the defense of private property is
      the standard by which "every provision" of law, past and present,
      shall be judged. (Bergh, Albert Ellery, ed. "The Writings of Thomas
      Jefferson, 2d ed. rev." Washington Thomas Jefferson Memorial
      Association, 1907, p. 1532.

      In The Federalist (number 79, by Alexander Hamilton) it is written
      that "In the general course of human nature, a power over a man's
      subsistence [i.e., property] amounts to a power over his will."

      "Property" is more than just the physical thing-the land, the bricks,
      the mortar-it is also the sum of all the rights and powers incident
      to ownership of the physical thing. [t]he right to use the physical
      thing to the exclusion of others is the most essential and
      beneficial. Without this right all other elements would be of little
      value.'" Dickman v. Commissioner, 465 U.S. 330, 336 (1984).

      "Each of us has a natural right to defend his person, his liberty,
      and his property."   -- Frederic Bastiat

      As Justice Bryon White noted,  "A man's right to defend his property has long been recognized at common law...[P]erhaps a government edict barring one from resisting the loss of property is the constitutional equivalent of taking such property in the first place..."

      We call a tyrant the leader whose only law is that of his own whim, who
      expropriates the property of his subjects, and then drafts them to go
      take that of their neighbors. -- Voltaire, "Tyrannie", Dictionnaire
      Philosophique, 1764

      "It is too bad that the overall value to human beings of their basic
      right to private property is so widely and prestigiously denied. It is
      one of the most beneficent institutions and certainly the bulwark against any kind of tyranny, be it that of a ruling party, a dictatorship, or even of
      a democratic majority." - Tibor Machan, Hoover Institution Research.

      No person shall be...deprived of life, liberty, or property without
      due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public
      use without just compensation." (Zoning) --Article 5, The Bill of Rights
      When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things
      to be bought and sold are legislators.  -- P.J. O'Rourke [Also city councils and county commissions. --Bill Monroe]
      "In general, the art of government consists in taking as much money as
      possible from one class of citizens to give to the other."---Voltaire
      Shakespeare said a rose by any other name is still a thorn. Likewise stealing by any other name is a thorn in the side of mankind.
                                                                               --Bill Monroe

      "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within
      limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add
      "within the limits of the law," because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."
                                                                        - Thomas Jefferson

      The opinion which gives to the judges the right to decide what laws are
      constitutional and what not, not only for themselves in their own sphere
      of action but for the legislature and executive also in their spheres, would make the judiciary a despotic branch. To consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions [is] a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy.... The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal.
                                                                        - Thomas Jefferson

      Judicial Accountability Imitative Law (legislation) is an idea whose time has come. Stop judicial immunity.  Ron Branson 1995 California attorney
      When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat, The Law, 1846

      "The sacred rights of property are to be guarded at every point. I call
      them sacred, because, if they are unprotected, all other rights become
      worthless or visionary. What is personal liberty, if it does not draw after it the right to enjoy the fruits of our own industry? What is political liberty, if it imparts only perpetual poverty to us and all our posterity? What is the privilege of a vote, if the majority of the hour may sweep away the earnings of our whole lives, to gratify the rapacity of the indolent, the cunning, or the profligate, who are borne into power
      upon the tide of a temporary popularity?" -- Judge Joseph Story, 1852

      "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

      "Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson
      (1743-1826)

      "IN GOD WE  TRUST," politicians pay cash. --Bill Monroe

      Sincerely,  Bill Monroe
      Maynardville,  Tennessee 37807-0355

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      Forum to make your voice heard JAIL-SoundOff@yahoogroups.com

      All good endeavors start with an idea. Ideas develop into goals, and goals develop into realities.    -Ron Branson (July, 2000)