Government In New York Collapsing

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2003
      Los Angeles, California                                               March 25, 2003

      HotSeat4Judges/M-Th/5pmPT   TheJAILerMakers   What?MeWarden?
      T-ShirtMe!
                      FedJAIL4FedJudges                   E-mail&hosting

      Government In
      New York Collapsing

      While the New York Times article below assigns no responsibility to the New York judiciary for its state's pending financial collapse, we thought it interesting for our readers to view how "government works," a euphoniums for, "doesn't work."

      One could reasonably suspect that the below fairly describes the financial condition of their own government. For instance, California is facing a $34,000,000,000 debt, that at a best case scenario of raising taxes and cutting services, still fails to meet its budget. Things are taking shape in America, following the trend to eventual collapse of all nations in history - that of financial irresponsibility.    -Ron Branson

      *   *   *

      New York Times
      March 21, 2003

      The Three Budgeteers

      New York State could run out of cash in May, and government could be forced to shut down. In most states, an emergency like that would lead to action, even if it were just a clumsy attempt to paper over the revenue gaps. Elected officials would be meeting constantly, and leaders conferring intensely. There would be committee hearings and people scurrying around negotiating a path through the looming difficulty. Is that what's happening in Albany these days? Not hardly.

      A short-term solution to deal with New York's fiscal Mayday is not available because there are no short-term solutions in Albany. Instead, there is only one big Gordian knot, and in one final burst of energy, that knot is unraveled and everything important on the agenda is knitted together by Gov. George Pataki; Joseph Bruno, the State Senate majority leader; and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.

      In the interim, nothing really happens. The two Republicans are trying to goad Mr. Silver into calling for tax increases and agreeing to a lot of borrowing. The lone Democrat - Mr. Silver - is using the desperation of the two Republicans as his strongest piece of string for the final round.

      The Legislature itself has almost no role in this game. Some people have elegant titles, leadership posts or positions on the Ways and Means or budget committees. But here the jobs entail special stipends, bigger offices and virtually no functions at all.  ....

      Behind those walls, like political termites, the big three and their staffs are said to be working away. The big tangled knot in which all issues are entwined for one big end-of-the-year deal is already enormous. It includes the critical budget for public education - Mr. Pataki has publicly proposed a $1.2 billion cut, and educators are leaning on Mr. Silver to save them.

      It also enfolds rent control; that has nothing to do with the budget, but Mr. Silver needs it extended and the governor sees it as a trading chip. Because it is in the knot, there is no plan for the committees charged with overseeing rent control to have anything to say about it.

      Mr. Pataki wants to borrow against the tobacco suit settlement to help plug the governmental gaps. This is like using your home equity loan to pay for groceries. Mr. Silver wants shorter-term borrowing, which is more like getting a loan from your relatives to buy the groceries.

      But Mr. Silver's call for a slightly less irresponsible financial plan is mainly another chip to use in the great bargain to come. These choices are being made on a budget that has a foundation that would get a chief executive arrested. There are more than 40 authorities or entities that operate "off budget," which means that the public has almost no access to the details.

      In a document called the state "tax expenditure report," a list of exemptions for various industries totals $29 billion, according to State Senator Liz Krueger of Manhattan, who has made this a personal mission. But the list never comes up for debate because it is not part of the knot.

      The real scandal in Albany is that all this secrecy and lack of participation sees to make the decision-making more clumsy and irrational. The budget is late every year. New York's 19 million people are represented by a state government that is neither democratic nor efficient - short-term or long-term. There is no excuse not to open the doors.

      Now why is it that we at J.A.I.L. would make an issue of the above report? It is because we desire to show our readers the failure of politics in governing a nation. While the politicians abrogate their responsibilities to openly represent the people for political reasons, political wrangling goes on secretly behind closed doors among three politicians even in view of a pending financial doom that will effect everyone in New York.

      J.A.I.L., with its ripple-down effect, will have great positive effect upon all state and local governments, placing priorities on realities for the benefit of the people rather than politics. The fact is, J.A.I.L. should have been written in our original Constitutions, both state and federal.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org