The "Texas Judgeship Act"

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2002

      Dear Ray Dittmar raydit@... :

      Attorney Gary Zerman and I just had a conversation regarding your suggestion of supporting the "Texas Judgeship Act."

      Here is the problem with the "Texas Judgeship Act."  It is purely systematized, and the people will still have no voice. Citing from what you have sent us, please look at the below as an example:

      "SECTION l.O4 OVERSIGHT OF JUDGES: The State Commission On Judicial Conduct is a Legislative Branch Commission granted disciplinary powers to monitor the ethical, lawful, Constitutional, effective and efficient conduct of Judges, in conformance with this statute. (A) Composition of the Commission: The Speaker of the House shall appoint 7 members from the House and the Dean of the Senate shall appoint 3 members from the Senate, and the Lieutenant Governor shall appoint 11 members from the public."

      Ray, the judicial commissions throughout all 49 states started as a result of California. In 1960 the Commission on Judicial Qualifications was created by the legislature because of the accumulation of complaints about the judiciary. Every few years this Commission gets a face lift because complaints against the judiciary still come in unabated. The legislature even went so far as to change the name from the "Commission on Judicial Qualifications" to "Commission on Judicial Performance," but still complaints rolle in against the judiciary.

      The legislature then placed an initiative on the ballot (Prop 190 which passed), to change the balance of power more away from the judiciary, and over to the people. However, the "people" happen to be political hacks, appointed by the governor and the legislature, and the corruption continued along with a landslide of complaints against the judiciary. Then came Prop 140 which also passed, etc. But California still has the same problem of judicial unaccountability.

      The "Texas Judgeship Act" is but more of the same judicial "Reforms" we have here in California from time to time. All over this nation the legislators are having the same problems: New Hampshire, Vermont, Florida, etc., etc. Let's face it, politics will not bring about judicial accountability because they just will not touch "judicial immunity," and thus, direct accountability to the people. Only J.A.I.L. will accomplish this because J.A.I.L. is directly from the people, and only from the people, with all politics aside.

      Figure this. Congress has the power of impeachment over federal judges, but impeachment is but a theory. If the impeachment "remedy" did not exist, we would be none the worse off, because it is not available in practice. (I have approximately six federal judges up for impeachment, but Congress will not even respond to tell me the status. Follow ups avail nothing, and these federal judges are still in there destroying others' lives even after the passage of many years since I filed these complaints.) I have even offered to appear personally with my evidence and with several attorneys to testify before Congress, but Congress won't even decline my offer to tell me that they are not interested. My complaints may as well be dropped in the paper shredder.

      While complaints where mounting against federal judges, Congress passed a Section 372 of Title 28 for discipline of federal judges. But again, we would be none the worse off if we did not have this "remedy" because it just is not available in practice. Dare I say that 100% of the people's complaints against federal judges are ditched.

      All the legislatures of the fifty states have the authority to rein in the corrupt judges of their states. However, it will never happen because of politics. All they will ever do is shift around the same players in the field, give the game a new title, and seek to make the public believe they have created judicial reform. Such is "The Texas Judgeship Act." The various legislatures are totally helpless due to their political nature, to escape their own vices. They will always involve as players the Legislature, Executive, or the Judiciary as the oversight. They will boast that their appointees have years of experience in law as attorneys, judges, or as professors with impeccable degrees from law colleges, etc.

      J.A.I.L. is the only answer that escapes the circle of politics. It functions neither under the oversight of the Legislature, the Executive, or the Judiciary, but purely by the People.

      Hopefully this will help you understand why J.A.I.L. cannot support the "Texas Judgeship Act." I can certainly assure you that should the Texas Judgeship Act pass, Texas will still need J.A.I.L. Get behind Al Johnson's leadership in demanding J.A.I.L. be passed in Texas. He reports that by the end of the next thirty days, he will have pressed the passage of J.A.I.L. upon thirty-three of the Texas Legislators. God bless.

      Ron Branson