A House Divided

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25 12:01 AM
      Los Angeles, California                                          November 24, 2002

      HotSeat4Judges/M-Th/5pmPT   TheJAILerMakers   What?MeWarden?
      T-ShirtMe!                FedJAIL4FedJudges                   E-mail&hosting

      A House Divided

      "And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand."  Mark 3:25

      Judge Criticizes Supreme Court
      Sat Nov 16, 5:29 PM ET

      By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

      WASHINGTON (AP) - An appeals court judge accused the country's
      highest court on Saturday of ignoring the Constitution, dodging
      tough cases and awaiting an opportunity to strike down the death

      Judge Laurence H. Silberman, a semi-retired judge on the U.S. Court
      of Appeals for the District of Columbia, used a speech at the
      conservative legal group the Federalist Society for the unusually
      harsh criticism of the Supreme Court.

      "The court's policy choices masquerading as constitutional law are
      generally accepted so long as they are well received by elites. Ironically, the Supreme Court has become what the (Constitution) framers envisioned for the role of the Senate," Silberman said. "I think elite public opinion is the primary guide to the Supreme Court."

      Silberman was appointed to the bench by President Reagan in 1985. He
      took senior status in 2000, but serves on a review court which considers the government's authority for searches and wiretaps.

      The judge said the Supreme Court "has behaved irresponsibly in
      ducking" affirmative action cases. He also said he believes a majority of the nine justices want to abolish capital punishment but they may be put off by public support for the death penalty.

      Justice Sandra Day O'Connor (news - web sites), who is considered a
      swing vote in capital cases, has been testing the waters to see how
      people would respond to a ruling that declared executions
      unconstitutional, Silberman said.

      Law professors and other lawyers at the event said they do not expect the Supreme Court to strike down capital punishment.

      "It would be a very sudden and dramatic reversal," said Kent
      Scheidegger, legal director of the pro-death penalty Criminal Justice Legal Foundation.

      Eugene Volokh, a former law clerk to O'Connor, said he thinks "Like
      most Americans she believes that it's not only constitutionally
      permissible, but also sometimes morally the right solution" to impose the death penalty.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org