*** TOO MANY LAWYERS!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2000
      Too many lawyers, says engineering professor

      http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/report/opinion/january/connolly120.html

          In his State of the University address (Stanford Report, Nov. 4), President Gerhard Casper makes a statement that sorely needs to be challenged. He spoke of the troubling trend of "an increase in litigiousness and grievances," and the increasing drain on Stanford's resources represented thereby. Then he says, "Alas, it seems there is little we can do about an excessive and overreaching legal system."
          God help us if we don't! Let us focus on the folks who run this overreaching legal system, the American lawyers. First, consider those lawyers who work in our courts. We all got
      a good look at their handiwork in the trials of O. J. Simpson for the murder of two people. In his criminal trial he was found not guilty. The families of the two victims then sued the "innocent" Mr. Simpson for the loss, pain and suffering that the murders he didn't commit had caused them. The plaintiffs were awarded roughly $10 million in compensatory damages and $25 million in "punitive" damages. Is it untrue or unfair to assert that the legal system rolled O. J. Simpson for $35 million, thereby realizing a huge profit?
          The only consistent purpose that is served by our legal system is the transfer of millions in wealth to lawyers' bank accounts.
          Lawyers run much more than the legal system, however. The
      membership of Congress, for example, is about 50 percent lawyers. Since there are about 1 million lawyers in this country and some 250 million of the rest of us, arithmetic says they are over-represented in Congress some 250 times. Similar over-representation also exists in state legislatures and Beltway bureaucracies.
          In Bill Clinton we have the very model of a modern American lawyer, with a Cabinet and a White House filled with lawyers. Given their dominance in all three branches of government, the very notion of the "separation of powers" is absurd. Rather, we have the aggregation of powers within the American legal profession.
          Both the "justice racket" and the "governance racket" are managed by a group of nine lawyers in our "Supreme Conflict of Interest" in Washington, D.C., put there by their professional comrades.
          Our law schools, like so many Pandora's Boxes, pop open
      periodically to emit a plague of neophyte lawyers.
          The fears that Lord Acton voiced in the last century about the strong correlation between power and corruption are becoming a reality on a grand scale today in this nation. It is not premature to declare that ours is a government of the lawyers, by the lawyers and for the lawyers.
          President Casper says there is little we can do. On the contrary, Stanford can strike a mighty symbolic blow for liberty and justice in America: Close the Stanford Law School! Such a closure might serve as a modern day Boston Tea Party to inspire American citizens to struggle against tyrant lawyers. *

      THOMAS J. CONNOLLY
      Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering

      * As we commonly say, once the judges are called into accountability, the lawyers will also have to follow. Corrupt lawyers cannot function before an accountable judge.