* * J.A.I.L. Is Still Needed, Regardless * *

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 7:49 PM
      Los Angeles, California                                          August 19, 2002

      HotSeat4Judges/M-Th/5pmPT     TheJAILerMakers   What?MeWarden?
      T-ShirtMe!
                      FedJAIL4FedJudges                   E-mail&hosting

      Whether the Judiciary are Elected or Appointed
      J.A.I.L. Is Still Needed, Regardless
      Ever since J.A.I.L. has been waiting in the wings to become law, we have noticed the system attempting to make the judicial system more palatable to the people in several ways, which includes improving the judicial review process of state commissions on judicial conduct, and even establishing citizens' judicial review panels that make recommendations to the state legislature. The common thread in all such attempts by the system is THE SYSTEM itself (the state). Below is yet another proposed method for the state to appease the public about fairness of the judicial system.  Until the ties to the state are CUT, the judiciary will remain unaccountable to the people and judicial abuses and usurpations will continue to run rampant.

      Elected or appointed? It makes absolutely NO difference! Judges are still unaccountable.

      Monday, Aug. 12, 2002
      Poll: Money, Elections Worry U.S.
      By GINA HOLLAND Associated Press Writer
      http://www.news.findlaw.com/ap/0/1110/8-12-2002/2002081200450203.html

      WASHINGTON (AP) - Americans love electing judges, but they worry that
      campaign cash can compromise a judge's principles, a new poll shows.

      The findings of the survey conducted for the American Bar Association and
      being made public Monday illustrate a paradox that hinders efforts to end
      popular elections for the bench.

      The ABA and other legal groups have long argued that appointments would
      improve courts by getting the most qualified people as judges and insulating
      them from politics.

      More than 80 percent of state court judges face some elections, and those
      races have gotten more expensive. Federal judges are appointed by the
      president, and some states also have appointment systems.

      At the ABA's convention, incoming president Alfred P. Carlton Jr. was
      announcing formation of a group to explore alternatives. The panel does not
      expect Americans to give up their elections, he said, but it will look at
      limits for campaigns to solve what he sees as a public relations problem for
      judiciaries.

      "We must defuse the escalating partisan battle over America's courts,"
      Carlton said.

      Three-fourths of those polled said they have more confidence in judges they
      elect than those who are chosen for them through appointments. However,
      nearly the same proportion expressed concern about the impact of campaign
      fund raising on judges' impartiality.

      "It's an enigma," said Arthur Miller, a Harvard law professor who supports
      appointment systems based on candidates' qualifications. "The least we can
      do is get out of this buying of judgeships through campaign contributions."

      About 40 states have some type of judicial elections, and most of them limit
      what candidates can say while campaigning. States are having to review their
      restrictions after the Supreme Court struck down Minnesota's limits in June.

      The ruling opens the door for candidates to talk more freely about
      controversial issues such as abortion and school prayer.

      The poll found that people don't mind candidates speaking out. Six in 10
      said that voicing an opinion on an issue does not mean a contender will be
      partial on the subject later as a judge.

      Another finding in the poll: Nearly two out of three questioned said they
      would put more trust in a judicial candidate who was not affiliated with a
      political party. The ABA said eight states have partisan elections for all
      trial court judges - Alabama, Illinois, Louisiana, New York, Pennsylvania,
      Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia.

      Harris Interactive conducted the poll for the ABA, surveying 1,040 people by phone from Aug. 2-5. The poll has an error margin of plus or minus 3.1
      percentage points.

      ---

      On the Net:

      American Bar Association: http://www.abanet.org

      2002-08-12     07:12:57 GMT

      Copyright 2002
      The Associated Press All Rights Reserved
      Copyright © 1994-2002 FindLaw

      The above article sent to J.A.I.L. by:

      Alyce Vrba, CEO
      POORPOWER, Property Rights Power