Judges Squawk Over Demonstration

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                                  July 20, 2002
      Judges Squawk
      Over Demonstration
      At Their Homes
      Three years ago, Friday, August 13, 1999, the largest legal newspaper in the country, The Los Angeles Daily Journal, reported in their article entitled, "Three Strikes For Law-Breaking Judges Proposed," that they interviewed the California Judges Association about JAIL4Judges. Their response, according to reporter Peter Blumberg, was, "We're not going to be lying awake worrying about this," said Constance Dove, executive director of the California Judges Association. "I think the voters have more sense than that."
      The article continues with, "The J.A.I.L. proponents fully expect the establishment to fight back – and that's exactly what they hope for to jump-start their low-budget campaign. 'Once we get them to holler 'ouch,' they've done our advertisements for us,' Branson said."
      Well, the following is an "ouch" from the judiciary.
      Ron Branson, National J.A.I.L.'s Commander-In-Chief, standing in front of Federal Judge Stephen Reinhardt's home while airplane flies overhead pulling banner on Saturday, July 13th. Demonstrators are to his left. Over Ron's left shoulder a reporter is taking a picture of the back of Ron's shirt that says, "J.A.I.L." in large 6" gold lettering.

      Los Angeles Daily Journal
      Thursday, July 18, 2002
      Southern California
      Pledge-Ruling Reaction Surprises Circuit Jurist
      CORONADO- When a plane trailing a banner declaring "One Nation Under God" flew over the home of an appellate judge and demonstrators surrounded the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, the two jurists who sparked the reaction were surprised.
      "It's the noisiest thing I've ever experienced," said Judge Alfred T. Goodwin, who with his colleague, Judge Stephen Reinhardt, heard plenty of feedback about their Pledge of Allegiance decision at this week's annual 9th Circuit conference.
      "I think it's a bit excessive," said Reinhardt, who was at his office last Saturday when he heard about crowds of demonstrators and a plane with a banner flying over his home.
      Reinhardt quipped that the controversy may be more heated because "it's the middle of the summer and there are no scandals."
      But he and Goodwin said that politics, notably the upcoming congressional elections, are fueling the controversy.
      "I can't think of any decision where the entire Congress immediately rushed to condemn a decision by the court," Reinhardt said. "It's getting to be election time, and this gives everyone in Congress a chance to prove they are patriotic."
      Goodwin noted, "The climate of public opinion is different after 9/11. There's anxiety. There's fear and it's an even-numbered year, so you have a political reality."
      Goodwin, who wrote the decision, said criticism also was exacerbated by misleading news reports.
      --Associated Press

      Right now, J.A.I.L. is receiving many calls from media and talk shows on which to appear. We are very pleased to be gaining the attention, to the chagrin and dismay of the judges, of America.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      Give me your resources, and I will give you America - Ron Branson