J.A.I.L. Goes Official in Florida

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                                    July 2, 2002

      Sherree Lowe,
      Florida's JAILer-In-Chief,
      Makes J.A.I.L. Official in Florida

      Below are excerpts of the legal documents received by the National J.A.I.L. Headquarters. A letter from Katherine Harris, Secretary of State of Florida, dated May 22, 2002, that reads in part:

      Ms. Sherree Lowe, Chairperson
      J.A.I.L.4judges

      Re: The (Judicial Accountability Initiative Law) J.A.I.L.4judges amendment to the Florida Constitution, Serial Number 02-06

      The Division of Elections approves this format which you submitted for the above-referenced initiative and copy is attached for your files. According to Florida Administrative Code Rule 1S-2.009 (12), the Division of Elections shall assign serial numbers to approved petitions. Your petition serial number is noted above.

      The letter is signed by L. Clayton Roberts, Director, Division of Elections.

      Attached thereto is a "Constitutional Amendment Petition Form" which is officially stamped by the Secretary of State dated May 20, at 11:27 a.m. It shows thereon a "Ballot Summery - We, the People of Florida, find the doctrine of judicial immunity has been greatly abused, and when judges abuse their power, the People are obligated, it is their duty, to correct that injury, for the benefit of themselves and their posterity. In order to ensure judicial accountability and domestic tranquility, we hereby amend under article I, article V of our Constitution with these provisions, which shall be known as "The Judicial Accountability Initiative Law Amendment".

      So Sherree Lowe and her Florida Team of JAILers are off and running to officially get J.A.I.L. on the Florida State ballot in 2004. We have lots of J.A.I.L. News Journal readers in Florida who are not yet JAILers. We encourage you to contact Sherree Lowe, sherree@..., and get involved in this great effort that will benefit all.

      J.A.I.L., in effect, has a competition going on among the various states to be the first state to get J.A.I.L. on the ballot and passed. Our plans are to hold a national Victory celebration on that state's Supreme Court steps. How appropriate it would be if that Supreme Court steps were those of Florida in light of the recent presidential election feud, and the displeasure of the Florida legislators with their Supreme Court. House Speaker Tom Feeney seems to be favorable to the goal of J.A.I.L., having contacted us unsolicited with Florida material. We wish Sherree and all her Team well, and we are all rooting for her.

      Even if you do not live in Florida, you may financially support this Florida objective by writing Sherree and asking how to make out your check of support and where to send it.

      Lastly, I would like to present to you Sherree's testimony on how she got involved in J.A.I.L. in the first place.  It is very touching.

      -Ron Branson-
      National J.A.I.L.
      Commander-In Chief

      Sherree says:

      I was never a leader, I was a follower, until I learned that everyone is looking for someone else to follow, model themselves after, or learn from. One day it really hit me, I was looking for something that I would never find. I had to step out front, take a deep breath, square my shoulders, and prepare to be knocked on my backside!

      Sometimes my insides would twist up into knots, and I would shake inside and feel sick, as I set up my picket signs and table to pass out flyers in front of the courthouses. I just knew I would be arrested.
      Every time I walked into one of the court rooms, and sat down to watch the cases being paraded before the bench, I would get spasms in my stomach, but I stayed.

      A strange thing happened, soon the judges were looking at me, and making statements like, "I want to make sure that no one's rights get violated here today" and they would look directly at me. I just go about my business, handing out flyers, and carrying my protest signs, sitting quietly in the courtrooms, holding my Bible in my hands, looking right at the judge. You have no idea how this unnerves them!

      When I protest, I wear my J.A.I.L. tee shirt. When I go into the court room, I wear a suit or dress in a business fashion, respectful, they don't know why you are there until all the cases are gone and you are still sitting there. Then someone, or the judge will say, "did we miss a case" and if they ask me why I am there, I hold up the Bible, and say "I am a court watcher", this really unravels them, because it makes them think beyond the established script they operate under.

      Sherree Lowe

      PS - Just imagine how the judges will treat Sherree once she prevails with J.A.I.L. in the State of Florida. All the judges will be rolling out the red carpet for her wherever she goes.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org