J.A.I.L. Hitting Home Runs!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                                 June 30, 2002

      J.A.I.L. Hitting Home Runs!

      The below release by the Massachusetts Bar Association all but mentions J.A.I.L. (Judicial Accountability Initiative Law). No single organization on the scene today is exposing the judiciary like J.A.I.L., and the judges are feeling the heat across America! As one judge pronounced in open court with whom we have had no prior contact, "Counsel, I don't know what you have to do with this organization, but this organization is sending out thousands of emails all over this county, but I don't read any of them. If you think your going to influence me by this organization, you have another thought coming."

      If we may expound on this judge's statement, he is right, yes, thousands of emails are going out from J.A.I.L. all over this country, but he failed to point out that this was daily.

      Appearance is that the judges are now being formally apprised of J.A.I.L.'s existence in their judicial training updates, and are being told to report their contacts with this organization. The above judge specifically asked his court clerk to take down his comments about this organization of J.A.I.L. for the record.

      We love hearing the below statements, "The editorial points out that recent attacks on judges have renewed the call for judicial accountability..." and "the judiciary has been so undermined in the past year."

      The Massachusetts Bar Association is admitting that something has happened in the last year respecting exposure of judges, and we are saying that that "something" is J.A.I.L. We are highlighting in bold/red the comments that all but identify the organization "Judicial Accountability Initiative Law." The below emphasis is ours.

      ~   ~   ~

      http://www.lawyersweekly.com/resources/pressrelease/pressrelease0422ma.htm

      Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Calls For Open Judicial Evaluations

      MassachusettsÂ’ Leading Legal Newspaper Says Judges Should Be Evaluated Publicly

      Boston - (April 22, 2002) – The state's leading legal newspaper is calling for public evaluations of the performance of Massachusetts' judges. In an editorial appearing in today's issue of Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, the weekly legal newspaper says that the public's confidence in the judiciary has been so undermined in the past year that detailed results of a recent judicial-evaluation survey conducted by the Massachusetts Bar Association should be released to the public.

      The MBA released the survey's general conclusions 18 months ago but did not make public the specific results and names of the judges who were evaluated. However, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly said that, while the reasons for that partial release were valid at the time, changed circumstances suggest that a reconsideration of that decision is in order.

      "[The MBA's] open and fair evaluation process will allow lawyers and the public to learn about a large number of judges, and, perhaps most notably, it will give most judges a chance to defend their record by pointing to strong performance," reads the editorial. "An open and fair evaluation process will allow lawyers and the public to learn about a large number of judges, and, perhaps most notably, it will give most judges a chance to defend their record by pointing to strong performance. So the message to the MBA is simple: Open the books."

      "Currently, the judiciary operates in a vacuum because they get little to no feedback from the people they serve. The public demands judges to be accountable for what they do," said Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly editor-in-chief, attorney David L. Yas. "There are piles of evaluations under lock-and-key that could be released tomorrow. Our editorial board through this piece is calling upon the MBA to make this information public. In most cases, it will allow judges to point to their strengths as a defense to what can be ruthless criticism."

      The editorial points out that recent attacks on judges have renewed the call for judicial accountability and the idea that judicial elections in Massachusetts might make sense. While the editorial rejects the idea of judicial elections, citing too many political entanglements, the paper said that the eye-opening effect of public judicial evaluations will be beneficial.

      Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly and www.MassLawyersWeekly.com are the leading legal news sources for the Massachusetts legal community, providing vital news, opinions, verdicts and settlements, analysis and more. Founded in 1972, Lawyers Weekly, Inc. publishes 8 other newspapers in addition to Massachusetts, (Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina and Virginia) as well as Lawyers Weekly USA, a national newspaper geared to smaller law firms and LawyersWeekly.com, an Internet resource site.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org