* The judges did wrong, but they don't feel the pain.

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                           May 17, 2002

       The judges did wrong, but they don't feel the pain.
      Again, judges are not held accountable for their actions.

      http://news.findlaw.com/ap_stories/other/1110/5-9-2002/200205091020934811_5-7.html

      Wichita Settles Lawsuit Vs. Judges

      WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Plaintiffs who sued after being jailed for failure to pay traffic and misdemeanor court fines have won a $2.7 million settlement from the city of Wichita.

      The class-action lawsuit, filed on behalf of more than 7,000 people, challenged the constitutionality of the Municipal Court's so-called time to pay docket: The system called people with outstanding fines and court costs before a judge and ordered them to pay or be jailed.

      The city agreed Tuesday to an out-of-court settlement under which the plaintiffs will get at least $115 each, in addition to a cash payment depending on how long each was jailed, the city said. Their attorneys will collect at least $1 million. In addition, the city agreed to forgive court debts owed by the plaintiffs totaling more than $3.5 million.

      In agreeing to the deal, the city admitted no wrongdoing. It said it settled the case to save taxpayers the cost of a lengthy trial.

      Lawyers for the former inmates said 7,351 people were locked up for a total of 148,537 days over a three-year period on the "time to pay" docket. They contended that judges routinely jailed indigent defendants without holding hearings to determine their ability to pay.

      In June 1998, a Sedgwick County judge ordered the release of more than 70 jail inmates who owned city fines because he thought the practice was unconstitutional. The Kansas Supreme Court later ruled that the judge did not have the authority to release the inmates but did not address the practice's constitutionality.

      Copyright 2002

      Thanks to Henry Nicolle, sheriff@..., for sending J.A.I.L. this article.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org