* * Idaho Officialdom Considers J.A.I.L. A Threat

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                          May 17, 2002
      Idaho Officialdom Considers J.A.I.L.
      To Be A Real Threat
      A report by Scott Thurston, Idaho JAILer-In-Chief, lazarus@...
      A huge round of applause on behalf of all JAILers goes to Scott Thurston and all Idaho JAILers who really got J.A.I.L. off and running in Idaho. Let's let them  know how much we appreciate what they have done!
      [Scott writes the following]:
      An editor of a prominent local newspaper here in Northern Idaho wrote the following in an editorial:

      "The initiative creating a citizen grand jury to go after Idaho Judges does not deserve a place on the November ballot, but the state's secretive system for disciplining errant judges deserves revision just the same. If that revision does not happen, an extreme response like the Judicial Accountability Initiative Law will return, with more steam behind it than this attempt apparently has.... Any measure purporting to establish a fairer system for reviewing judicial performance that is circulated under the acronym JAIL should never leave the  starting gate...  They do have a fat target, however. Under Idaho's system of judicial accountability, complaints against judges are deposited in a black hole never to be heard of again this side of formal, and rare charges brought before the Idaho Supreme Court."

      The editorial concludes with the following statements:  "How can voters hold judges accountable when voters are not told how their judges are performing? That is a question not for judges, but for legislators. It is they who need to reform a system that is too cozy for its own good. If they do not, voters might take the job away from them with an initiative like JAIL. As the executive director of the Idaho Judicial Counsel, Robert Hamlin, concedes, 'When people don't have full access, they can be suspicious.' "

      My turnabout response to the newspaper was as follows:

      I am responding to Jim Fisher's article of April 26, 2002, entitled "Black hole for complaints on judges needs light." First of all I would like to commend you Mr. Fisher for your recognition of the fact that there does need to be a change in this state's secretive system for disciplining errant judges.

      In response to your aversion to the acronym for our Judicial Accountability Initiative Law, I can say with much assurance, after having talked with thousands of people all over this state, that your opinion is in the minority. The acronym J.A.I.L. has been largely responsible for the tremendous growth in the national organization known as "J.A.I.L. 4 Judges", of which I am a part. We now have chapters in 48 states and recently have organized chapters in Canada and Australia.

      J.A.I.L 4 Judges is a cry being heralded all over this land in response to what people feel is a lack of justice and protection of their God-given rights in the courts of this country. Remember the purpose of Government is to secure rights to men. Needless to say, the ideas espoused by our organization have moved from the minority to the mainstream here in Idaho in just a short few months.

      In light of the fact that our petition drive was only commenced in February and we were unable to take advantage of the full eighteen months that other initiative organizers enjoyed, we don't feel as though we failed. To the contrary, we feel our efforts were very successful in raising the awareness of the people of this state to the need for some change in our judicial system and especially with regard to the way complaints filed against judges are reviewed and processed without being open to public scrutiny.

      The U.S. Supreme Court stated in its decision in a case entitled "Yik Wo vs. Hopkins" and I quote: "When we consider the nature and the theory of our institutions of government, the principles on which they are supposed to rest, and review the history of their development, we are constrained to conclude that they do not mean to leave room for the play and action of purely personal and arbitrary power." Mr. Fisher, it is my opinion and that of a myriad of others across this land that one would be hard pressed to sit and and not observe the play and action of purely personal and arbitrary power by judges in courtrooms in this country.

      Our goal is to see to it that judges are held to the same standard of accountability as citizens when it comes to the Law of the Land. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. We who support such an initiative are here to stay and our numbers are growing exponentially.

      In every failure lies the seed of success. We'll be back!

      In the battle for Liberty,

      Scott Thurston,
      JAILer-in-Chief, Idaho Chapter

      For more particulars, contact Scott Thurston.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org