Give Us This Day More Police!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                                April 25, 2002
      Give Us This Day More Police!
      The Oakland Press
      April 24, 2002
      'Living in a police state'
      The Oakland Press,
      Pontiac, Michigan

      The state Legislature has given police power to search your home without telling you why. Two new laws, which took effect Monday as part of anti-terror efforts, also shield from public scrutiny the reasons for police searches. Defense lawyers and civil libertarians are outraged at the laws, which make search warrants and supporting documents such as affidavits non-public records. "If you think the police did secretive work before, just wait," defense attorney William Cataldo said. "It gives more power to the ignorant and more power to those who would take your rights." Defense lawyer Walter Piszczatowski said: "This is nuts, this is beyond nuts. "What happened to the Fourth Amendment? We're living in a police state."

      That means the public, the press, and in some cases even the person accused of the crime, can't know why the police entered a home without permission. Under previous laws, the records were public, unless a judge ordered them sealed for a specific reason. In federal courts, that remains the case. But now, search warrants in state courts are automatically closed to public view.

      "I think this is absolutely unconstitutional," said Dawn Phillips, a First Amendment lawyer with the Michigan Press Association. "We objected to it at the time. This thing passed like greased lightning."

      The House portion of the bill passed unanimously and the Senate version passed 27-8. The chief sponsor of the bill in the state senate was Shirley Johnson (R-Royal Oak) while Bill Bullard (R-Highland Township) was a cosponsor. In the state House, Nancy Cassis (R-Novi) was among 20 sponsors. ....

      ┬ęThe Oakland Press 2002

      Legislature Responds
      Lawmakers defending secret warrants
      The Oakland Press
      April 25, 2002

      Local legislators are defending two new laws that limit public access to court documents.

      The laws, which took effect this week, stop the public from gaining access to search warrants and affidavits. It deems them nonpublic records.

      Lawmakers - who unanimously voted for the measures in the Senate and House of Representatives - said the laws protect crime victims, informants and witnesses from criminals and the media. ....

      The bills were part of an anti-terrorism package that passed the Legislature after the Sept. 11 attacks. ....

      ┬ęThe Oakland Press 2002

      So long as the passage of J.A.I.L. lingers, police-state tactics shall prolifically abound, and the citizenry are doomed to undergo the oppression of facing the possibility of finding their front door smashed through at any time while the family sits calmly around the supper praying before eating.   J.A.I.L. is the Only answer!

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      "They said it couldn't be done, but I was too stupid to understand, so I went ahead and did it."                                               -Ron Branson