* * J.A.I.L. Status Report

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                         April 13, 2002

      J.A.I.L. Status Report
      Our thanks to Henry Nicolle (who introduced himself in the first paragraph) for responding to Doug Hampton, a new Kansas JAILer, who has kindly offered some extensive assistance for J.A.I.L. Henry's response is so excellent that we deemed it worthy of informing everyone on our list of the current status of JAIL4Judges.

      The downside is, Ron and I (his sidekick), just cannot keep up the pace of the growth we're experiencing. Ron has in his computer well over 200 people waiting to join, not only our regular list, but quite a few as JAILers as well.
      I have about 100 waiting to join in my computer. Ron's Inbox has over 2,000 waiting for attention, and there are over 1,200 in my Inbox. We are hopelessly snowed under, and the load is only going to increase-- and it does by geometric proportions, exponentially--  the rate of increase explodes weekly.

      You may notice that the JNJs aren't coming out as often as they used to-- now you know why. We have to split our time between the Add/Removes and the regular emails from which we put together the JNJs. Thanks for everyone's  patience!   -Barbie-

      Hello Doug,   (Douglas R. Hampton doug@...)

      This is Henry Nicolle, (JAIL4Judges in Ventura, California. (Warden for Ventura county, California Associate JAILer-in-Chief and National Webmaster-General)  staff@...

      I apologize for my delay in responding. In any case, here we are - let's get started!

      As you know, Ron Branson has asked that I respond to your kind and concerned offer to help JAIL4Judges bring structure to our growing organization. I made a quick visit to BSSI on the web and I have read your resume' summaries. (Nice balance of talent and experience.)

      I'll start at the beginning, so that we'll both have the same fundamental understandings. This may be a little long. Please bear with me.

      JAIL4Judges is a national advocacy group without formal statutory status, composed of individuals across America, with Canadian and Australian members in an auxiliary capacity. We have delegated leaders and members in about 47 of the states of the United States.

      JAIL4Judges does not provide individual services or advocacy.

      JAIL4Judges has only one purpose. The sole purpose of JAIL4Judges is to bring direct personal accountability by our judicial officers to the Citizens in the states, directly, without the intervention of their representatives. We expect to perfect this goal by Citizen initiative for constitutional amendment or statute in each state, depending on the processes available in the several states.

      The amendment or legislation provides for Special Grand Jury review and initiation of prosecution or discipline, if necessary, of individual judicial officer acts which are alleged to have been made in violation of constitutionl law and ethics. Special Grand Jury membership eligibility is restricted to Citizens who are not government officers or public employees. Except in cases of exceptional urgency and necessity, Special Grand Jury deliberations are exclusive of individual court activities and ordinary remedies in law and process. The Special Grand Juries do not substitute for Commissions, BARs or other bodies entrusted with securing ethical and lawful compliance by judicial officers. The JAIL4Judges (Citizens) Special Grand Jury authority is invoked by Citizens when criminal, unethical, prejudicial or other judicial misconduct is ineffectively managed by traditional, representative remedies.

      We believe that judicial self-discipline, imposed and enforced with personal accountability, will have a desirable remedial effect across our governing institutions generally. If our courts obey our constitutions and enforce our laws with strict observance of law and process, legislative intent and judicial ethic, then the customary exercise of faulty policy and usurpation by our representatives, officials and public servants will find little favor in opposition to the justified demands for accounting and redress by the Citizens.

      JAIL4Judges was founded for this purpose several years ago by Ron Branson and it is due to his continuing spirit of purpose (and his first-class sidekick, Barbie) that we are now discussing the logical transition from an ad hoc association of independent intellects to a formally structured entity which can act with the influence and efficiency of formal association.

      Here is a short list of what we need:

      1. Well-considered recommendations for statutory structure and alternate structures including formal and quasi-formal organizations. We believe that a properly organized JAIL4Judges will consist of multiple entities with appropriate severability for discrete functions of law and administration. Considerations in this aspect of planning are fundraising, initiative sponsoring, obligations and liabilities of law, public relations and media relations, physical and financial infrastructure and finally, general management and operations.

      2. In-depth study of membership development.

      3. Review of traditional and eccentric funding methods. (Several funding experiments have been considered, or are under consideration, but JAIL4Judges funding has never developed beyond T-shirt sales and the personal out-of-pocket generosity of its members, leaders and supporters.)

      4. Talent search for key administration and support personnel, and the means for their acquisition and support. Among the JAILers roster are many very capable individuals. Many of these have devoted unselfishly of their professional and personal time and resources. But the administrative core of JAIL4Judges will require and probably draw upon professional resources for day-to-day business. This core will enable the political energies of JAIL4Judges to be devoted to ordinary political activities of exposure, education and persuasion instead of the skilled drudgery of telephones. printing presses and furniture dusting.

      In short, Doug, we have a good and achievable idea... lots of people agree. Our recognition and exposure factors are growing nicely and our membership is increasing faster than Ron can keep up on the books.

      Without belaboring the point, JAIL4Judges needs resources and structure. We have little of either. What we have accumulated to this point I think is a good reflection of the merit and acceptability of the JAIL4Judges concept. But we do need professional assistance.

      Here you are then, I have filled in some of the blanks as a talking list. Our other leaders will have other ideas and perspectives. Most of them have more experience and knowledge of our past activities than I do, so we will very likely benefit from their participation and advice as we explore the opportunities of JAIL4Judges and the potential for your personal and professional attention.

      If, for some reason I am not immediately responsive, I must ask your forbearance. I will respond. As is the case of most JAILers, my personal time and resources are at a premium. We all must keep our local JAIL4Judges activities in motion, plus keep body and soul together, and in many cases, deal with our own crop of judicial and prosecutorial misconduct. We do pretty well, all things considered.

      I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon. Please copy Ron when you correspond.

      Thanks for coming on board! Welcome to JAIL4Judges.

      Best regards,

      Henry

      Henry Nicolle
      Associate JAILer-in-Chief, California