Nothing for Honest Judges to Fear with J.A.I.L.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                              March 13, 2002

      Nothing for Honest Judges to
      Fear with J.A.I.L.

      BURLEY-- A statewide petition signature drive tour promoting judicial accountability stopped in at the city hall here last night to address  concerned Mini-Cassia citizens.Tour organizers have scheduled 13 stops throughout the state in an effort to gather the 43,685 petition signatures needed to place the Judicial Accountability Initiative Law (J.A.I.L.) on the ballot for elections next November.

      The Idaho Judicial Council (IJC), comprised of two judges, three attorneys, two Republican Party delegates and a Shoshone county commissioner, is the entity that currently addresses complaints of judicial abuse.

      J.A.I.L. proponents believe that the current system in place to oversee the actions of the state's judges is not working. JAILers cite IJC records to prove their point. Out of 1,100 complaints the IJC has received since 1995, only three resulted in any disciplinary action. The public has no way of knowing the results of an IJC investigation because all proceedings are "sealed" and secret.

      If passed, a 25-member citizen's Grand Jury would convene to address  complaints of judicial abuse. If the Grand Jury determined the complaint had merit it, would either return a criminal indictment or recommend civil action. At that time judicial immunity would be lifted and judges could be prosecuted for their actions.

      "All J.A.I.L. intends to provide is a remedy for judicial abuse that the IJC does not provide. J.A.I.L. will protect judicial immunity during times of good behavior only. If it is determined that a judge has engaged in criminal or unethical behavior from the bench, his immunity will vanish and he can be held to the same standard of lawful conduct as demanded of ordinary citizens," said J.A.I.L. tour member Scott Thurston.

      Local activist Angie Vasquez vasquez@... is the J.A.I.L. contact in Burley. Vasquez spent the last several weeks promoting the event here. She addressed the city council, posted flyers and encouraged local radio stations to air public service announcements.

      "There is nothing for honest judges to fear from J.A.I.L. if it passes. The only people who need to fear J.A.I.L. when it becomes law are those judges who have abused their authority to injure people or abuse the process for personal gain," said Thurston.

      The Idaho State Attorney General's office is fighting hard to claim that the Initiative is unconstitutional. We believe his arguments can and will be used against the system, and will actually fuel our agenda. We intend to keep the A.G.'s Office scrambling, as their position is really quite weak according to our Constitution and our (human) legal sources.
      We are in need of sponsorship of this signature drive, and have been advised that Corporate sponsorship is direction to investigate, as well as private investors. Private investment, is, of course, tax-deductible; that aside, the purpose of the agenda should be the paramount concern for anyone who might be looking at investment.

      Once the J.A.I.L. Initiative is law in Idaho, chances are then magnified at least 10-fold to open the doors for the rest of this country to establish a better grip of control over each individual state's government. I believe victory is at hand if we can just get the petitions in front of the people in a timely fashion. I understand professionals can 'harvest' the State of Idaho  in two weeks. We are looking at about $50,000 for this project. Imagine, our entire country starting a turn-around for such a small sum.

      For those who are interested in signing the J.A.I.L. petition, contact Vasquez at (208) 677-2481, or by donating, call (208) 773-6274.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org